C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Are They Kidding!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
myblue91
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are They Kidding!!

My 91 coupe with 145,xxx mi. has started to leak from the rear tranny seal. Called the local dealer and asked how much to R&R the seal,and due to the miles,and since the driveshaft has to come out, to do the ujoints also. They quoted me a rate of 9-10 hrs. labor @ $90.00/hr. Was told the trans has to be removed!!. I'm basically lazy,and if I could leave the car with someone in the morning,and p/u in the evening great!,but for this kind of money I think I'll try doing this myself. Dealers ,now I feel better. Doug
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
DaleD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, if they do the job, and don't mess it up, (a big IF), then there's nothing wrong with their price. Dealers have to make a buck too. Given the cost of space, tools, techs, and other overhead, $90/hr is not unreasonable.

I was using a local independent dealer to fix things I couldn't, or didn't want to fix myself. It seemed every time I took it to them, something else magically broke. I just used a local GM dealer, yep, they charge $90/hr, but it was worth it. They did what I wanted, and the car ran fine after they finished. I don't mind paying for fair value.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
myblue91
Racer

Dale- I don't have a problem with their rate,but with trans R&R for the rear seal!! that's BS!! Doug
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
tcr75
Racer

think about where the seal is located. They may be able to do it with the trans in the car but I am sure the book tells them to pull it out. Get a second opinion from a transmission shop
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rear transmission seals don't "just leak"... the most likely cause is a worn extension housing bushing. You need to replace it along with the real seal, and it can be done without pulling the transmission using the proper tools. I usually get 3 hours labor plus parts to do the bushing, seal and driveshaft U-joints (it's already out), so 9 hours is likely the labor op to pull the trans.

Find a better shop (NOT a transmission shop!)
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
myblue91
Racer

Racer- thanks for the addtional info re the housing.I'm slowly learning
Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Powersmokin
Instructor

yes I call b/s on that I replaced my rear seal with out removing the tranny and did it in less then 1hr and the seal was abut $26 and if it is the zf 6 speed you cant get the bushing any more at least I could not find it any where not even the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Are They Kidding!!

Quick Reply: Are They Kidding!!