C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stopped By Police Fri. Night

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
_farfromfordin'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopped By Police Fri. Night

Friday night I get home from work and decided to a have a couple beers. After my 3rd one, I decided to run up to the movie shop and rent some movies to watch. I called my sister to come over and drive me there,(I dont drink and drive period) she agreed and showed up about 10 min. later. I suggested we just take the vette so we did.
About 3 miles into the trip my sister looks over at me and asks "Is that a cop behind us?" As soon as I looked back - YEPPP!!!! Flashin lights and all. I asked my sister "anything you need to tell me?" She said no. So I got my licsense,and insurance ready before she got to the window.
The cop gets her licsense, leaves us waiting, goes back to the cruiser for a good 20 min.(temp gauge is peggin by now)
She comes back and asks me for my I.D., takes it back to the cruiser for another 5 min. comes back and asks for the registration,takes it back to the cruiser comes back and questions if its really my car!! At this point I had HAD IT!! So i asked her why she pulled us over in the first place, she said I had no licsense plate lights. So I asked her if I could see for myself and she said sure. I got out the passenger side walked back and leaned over to check the bulb and it was LIT!! I stood back up and looked her in the face and shook my head at her and asked, "DID YOU MEAN THE FRONT PLATE???" She just looked right back at me and told me to have a nice evening.
BTW- This makes the 6th or 7th time I've gotten pulled over for lameass excuses and havent gotten a ticket. Anybody in the forum have any experiences like mine??
Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Vette attracts attention. You were pulled over and didn't get a ticket. Press on and get over it. Trust me, It won't be the last time you get pulled over in it. It's the price of admission.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to Corvette ownership - especially if you're young. At 26, I drive like a freaking grandma in my 'Vettes.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know, it's messed up. There's a parking garage nearby where we're not 'technically' allowed to park, but I have several friends who park there on a regular basis. I try parking there once, and some a$$hole in a mercedes reports me and I get a $285 tow bill plus a $40 ticket.

Just chalk it up to jealousy...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

I just 'yes sir and no sir' to cops. I figure they could kill me, throw me in a ditch, and get away with it easy. Why give them an excuse?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to have these experiences when I was young and drove red Corvettes! Now many years [35+] I'm old and I never have red Vettes haven't been pulled over in Vette in since first one!!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

I have only been pulled over twice in 15 years of owning my torch red '93....damn, I hope I didn't "jinx" myself....
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope - mine have always been justified - Got pulled over in my GOAT after I bought it (this is back in '74) after I'd just womped on it. Told the Cop I was leaving the State the next day (which I was) and he told me he just wanted to see what was under the hood. More recently, I was cited for driving in a Bike Lane which I pulled into let my kid off at his High School. The Cop was sitting there writing up every Soccer Mom too, so he didn't feel he should leave me out. My dogs were with me (dachsunds) and had a field day barking at the Cop and then begging for a treat but the only one he had to give was a $250 ticket. And No Front Plate - didn't have my license with me on that one - Cop was allmost apologetic and I told him we could just go back to my house and get it since I was just going around the block. He said he didn't have time and then looked it up on his computer and asked me if the number sounded right. I left with a 10 Buck Fix it ticket and put the Vette back in the garage. Oh, and the Cop complimented me on a nice looking Vette.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
85L98-84L83
Racer

No, they pul me over for good reason. Not having insurance, speeding, unneccessary noise , tinted windows , leaving black lines on the pavement , littering , under the influence , no plates , driving at night with no lights . I just want to justify their job

More to being a cop than eating donuts.

After all that I had to buy another vette to sneak around.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
ls1569
Racer

Originally Posted by _farfromfordin'
"DID YOU MEAN THE FRONT
I get pulled over all the time for no front plate, I keep telling them to go ahead and give me the ticket, that doesn’t mean I’m going to put a front license plate on my car! You would think that some of these guys would have better things to do then to pull us over for BS reasons, but I guess when you carry a badge and a gun you can do what ever you want. I should’ve been a cop.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Cessnapilot89
Melting Slicks

The cops around here gave me a hard time for the first 4 months I had my Vette. Now they recognize me and like to mess with me. One office pulled up along side me at a light and complimented my 89 and asked me to race. I smiled and said thanks for the offer but i would have to pass. A lady officer like to follow me and then wave as she goes by. As long as they dont flash the lights I will be happy.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
85L98-84L83
Racer

Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89
The cops around here gave me a hard time for the first 4 months I had my Vette. Now they recognize me and like to mess with me. One office pulled up along side me at a light and complimented my 89 and asked me to race. I smiled and said thanks for the offer but i would have to pass. A lady officer like to follow me and then wave as she goes by. As long as they dont flash the lights I will be happy.
You backed down from a cop wanting to race, and a hot chick cop waving at you and you didn't make the move? Shame on you
Old 04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not lately, and not in my vette. Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, I had a minor traffic accident. My fault all the way but I wasn't speeding or doing anything crazy. It was just due to my inexperience more than anything. For months after that, the officer that responded to the accident pulled me over every time he saw me. It was a one horse town so he'd see me often. Always asked for the same thing, license, registration, where have you been, where are you going. Never got a ticket. This kept up till I got a different car. Never got pulled over again after that by that cop. I heard years later got fired for drunk driving.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 AM
warriorvette
Instructor

There are a$%holes in every career field and law enforcement is no exception. But, let me give you a little insider info -- cops don't sit around trying to think of new ways to mess with people. In fact, most of the officers I have worked with have been "car guys" (or girls). At one time you could drive through the parking lot of Troop E, Missouri Highway Patrol and see a 70 Roadrunner, a 70 Olds 442, a couple of Vettes, a Baja Bug with a really hot Porsche engine and any number of modified trucks and Jeeps. Most of the guys I know will turn a blind eye to chirping the tires or a quick punch at a light. Some won't.

I don't intend to try to defend against every bad cop story that gets posted. There are bad cops. I don't know the details of each circumstance. Keep in mind you might not know all the details about your traffic stop, either. You might not know that a couple hours earlier a car similar to yours was involved in a hit-and-run or some other questionable activity. You might have been on a cellphone or in a conversation and weaving without realizing it (happens a lot) and the officer needed an excuse to check for drunk driving. Just keep in mind that a pull-over is rarely personal.

Not pointing this at anyone in particular who has posted, but multiple pull-overs will get you more attention and less leniency. No one expects their butt to get kissed when pulling you over; however, a little respect goes a long way. Just like every other human-being a cop will be more inclined to give you the benefit of a doubt if treated nicely.

Like everyone else, an officer is just working to pay the bills.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vetteblack , thats funny
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Cessnapilot89
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 85L98-84L83
You backed down from a cop wanting to race, and a hot chick cop waving at you and you didn't make the move? Shame on you
lol, I still flirt with the lady cop, a really cute blonde. When the other officer offered to race, I was a little wary, I had just gotten a speeding ticket two weeks prior and really could not afford a second. Any tips on how to get her attention legally?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Pics of sister?

Get notified of new replies

To Stopped By Police Fri. Night

Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They give me crap all the time and follow me around. I think its more likely because theres a lot of young kids street racing and they must think i'm in on it.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
_farfromfordin'
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Pics of sister?
I knew you were going to do that!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 177 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by _farfromfordin'
. Anybody in the forum have any experiences like mine??
No.

Quick Reply: Stopped By Police Fri. Night