Cowl drain tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Cowl drain tube

There is a drain tube on the drivers side behind the clutch pedal and to the left that drains water from the cowl up by the windshield wipers
It was leaking onto my floorboard

Does anyone know where it is supposed to drain
Does it go through the firewall or the hole in front of the Bose speaker ?

Pics would be great
Thanks

And yes I have a FSM and couldnt find it there so anyone saying "you should get a service manual" give me a page #
Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know anything about ZR'1"S, but I believe the tube (s). there shud be one on the other end also, drain straight down. I assume you already checked the opening on top.

I would try to use something rounded & see if you can work it down the tube. I woudn't use anything sharp for obvious reasons.

Also, the 95 FSM shows nothing that I can find.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Quiktrp94
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 94 the tube comes down behind the battery. If you can find the end you can squeeze it and you will probably get a bunch of crap out of it that was blocking the water. Once it's cleaned out it will drain properly. Robert
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 96 drain tube

When I changed my battery a couple of months ago in my 96 I noticed the rubber drain tube from the cowl. Also noticed that the tube, its original and like new, was discharging the water onto the battery tray. A couple of the bolts that retain the battery tray are recessed and the water cannot drain. My 96 LT4 stays in the garage almost all the time, however one of the bolts was just a little rusty fron being immersed in water. The battery tray is plastic. I found something up in my garage (a big round plastic tube that a large syringe came in) that the drain tube would fit into and direct the water to drain below the battery tray. Unless I find something better, I will continue to use what I found. This drain tube could of been manufactured another 6 inches longer and not dumped water on the battery tray. A lot of stuff around the drain tube that affect its drain direction.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 03-03-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: add word
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Give it a shot of compressed air to clear it...... my $.02
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://mysite.verizon.net/brianjbalogh/draintubes.htm
the hoses on the inside are only pulled inside for pictures. They belong in the hole there. If they get clogged, water will find its way inside.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 AM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Thanks for posting those pictures. I hope that's the reason why my passenger side turned into a bath tub this winter. Now at least I have a place to look for a problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ynk1121
http://mysite.verizon.net/brianjbalogh/draintubes.htm
the hoses on the inside are only pulled inside for pictures. They belong in the hole there. If they get clogged, water will find its way inside.
What hole?
I am looking at the drivers side
I think there is some confusion
There appear to be 2 drain tubes the one that drains behind the battery (which is not the one I am talking about) and the one that runs inside the car)
Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
ynk1121
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
What hole?
I am looking at the drivers side
I think there is some confusion
There appear to be 2 drain tubes the one that drains behind the battery (which is not the one I am talking about) and the one that runs inside the car)
Thanks
The only DRAIN tubes that you can pull inside (that I know of) are the ones I have pictured inside. They belong in the hole in front of the speakers. I only pulled them inside to take the picture. If you keep them inside you will need some water-proof shoes. The one behind the battery never enters inside. It stays under the hood. It just drops water straight down from the cowl. Do you have another hose other than the ones in the pictures?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ynk1121
The only DRAIN tubes that you can pull inside (that I know of) are the ones I have pictured inside. They belong in the hole in front of the speakers. I only pulled them inside to take the picture. If you keep them inside you will need some water-proof shoes. The one behind the battery never enters inside. It stays under the hood. It just drops water straight down from the cowl. Do you have another hose other than the ones in the pictures?
Nope thats it
It was stuck to the floor behind the clutch and glued ther with the white seam sealer they use
In other words it was wrong from the factory
L:uckily it has lived inside all its life and only got wet when washed but that added up
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Cowl drain tube

Quick Reply: Cowl drain tube