C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ahhhh my cars all red under the white

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:19 AM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ahhhh my cars all red under the white

yep whoever had the car before me did a lazy paint job! they painted right over the original red paint! AHHH! oh well i'll get it repainted lol :) i also wanna make the roof area black so the entire roof line looks black and the body will be white :) what ya guys think? or should i make it another color?? give me your suggestions i got black cloth interior if that helps ya picture it out a bit.

thanks
davin

:p:
Old 12-05-2001, 03:36 AM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (dmalhi1)

You trying to go for the Z28 look with the black roof? I think it might look good :cool:
Old 12-05-2001, 04:04 AM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (RadPolo96)

hmmm i dunno about the z28 look

i just wanna model my cars paint scheme a bit after the 35th Anniversary style. its got a black roof and white body.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:18 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 35th is the BEST looking early C4. So I think it will look awesome!
tony
Old 12-05-2001, 06:43 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

i just wanna model my cars paint scheme a bit after the 35th Anniversary style. its got a black roof and white body.
That's what I was thinking. I think it would look cool. Maybe then, have those wheels powdercoated black! Oh that would look sweet!
Old 12-05-2001, 06:51 AM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (Nat96LT4)

That's what I was thinking. I think it would look cool. Maybe then, have those wheels powdercoated black! Oh that would look sweet!
dunno i'm not a big fan of the grand sport style wheels i like chrome i dunno its just me even if i owned a GS i'd change the rims to chrome ZR-1 styles. thats what i actually want for my car ZR-1 rims or something like the Eagle Alloy Series 77 and then slap the early model C4 center caps in would look cool i think.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:03 PM
black86targa
Instructor

If he changed the color, thats what youll have. If the paint under is ok, not peeling or cracking, Its perfectly normal to paint over it. There is no need to remove the old paint to repaint it. I just bought a black 86, and painted it green, left the hoop black to go with tinted windows.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:10 PM
JoeVette88
Instructor

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (Nat96LT4)

"Maybe then, have those wheels powdercoated black! Oh that would look sweet!"

I've never seen those wheels in black, that would look awesome! Does anyone have any pics? Perhaps I have just figured out what to do to my stock wheels.....
Old 12-05-2001, 04:18 PM
BADMUDE
Safety Car

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (black86targa)

If he changed the color, thats what youll have. If the paint under is ok, not peeling or cracking, Its perfectly normal to paint over it. There is no need to remove the old paint to repaint it. I just bought a black 86, and painted it green, left the hoop black to go with tinted windows.
True....nobody remove the old paint unless it is cracked or messed up in some way.

If you want the black roof look..why not get a glass top?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:53 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (RadPolo96)

You trying to go for the Z28 look with the black roof? I think it might look good :cool:
No, the Z28 is the 35th Anniversary Corvette Look. :yesnod: It looks sweet and I plan on doing it to mine also.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:54 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing you're not superstitious.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:54 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-05-2001, 04:55 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

I've got a great idea! Just scrape away some of the white and you can have red flames showing! :lol:
Old 12-05-2001, 05:55 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (BADMUDE)

If you want the black roof look..why not get a glass top?
umm i do have a glass top is it not noticeable in the pics?? yep its there and its a bronze tint

i'll borrow my uncles digital camera and get some nice snaps of it in the spring or whenever its not so cold out side and i can wash the car then i'll do it and update the sig too.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:58 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (Ed Ut)

I've got a great idea! Just scrape away some of the white and you can have red flames showing! :lol:
:lol: silly Ed :)

oh and my girlfriend loves your 'mobile
when i told her you're an old guy with a cool car, she said, "Figures all old guys got nice cars like that" then i was like, "Umm I'm not old... and I have a corvette too.... does that mean mines not so nice?" lol then she said, "No its the silver color" lol now i gotta find a Collectors Edition! all thanks to Ed.... you ain't stealing my woman :lol:
Old 12-05-2001, 06:03 PM
GusBustamanteJr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do it, do it right, paint the sail panel\targa area black, and powdercoat your rims white. Dont worry about leaving the paint under it, its normal unless there is a peeling\cracking problem, the real issue is the color change. Did he do the engine compartment\firewall, doorsills, under the rug, etc? I would check to see if perhaps its just one panel replaced in an accident. Going from red to white is not so easy to disguise. The color change is where you will take the most depreciation. Check the codes\vin to see what color it was delivered from factory.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:11 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

:lol: silly Ed :)

oh and my girlfriend loves your 'mobile
when i told her you're an old guy with a cool car, she said, "Figures all old guys got nice cars like that" then i was like, "Umm I'm not old... and I have a corvette too.... does that mean mines not so nice?" lol then she said, "No its the silver color" lol now i gotta find a Collectors Edition! all thanks to Ed.... you ain't stealing my woman :lol:

Thank you for the compliments on my car. I like the Collector Edition, but the LT4 is what excites me the most! I am an old fart and happily married; tell your woman she is safe. Too cold up there in Vancouver. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To ahhhh my cars all red under the white

Old 12-05-2001, 07:02 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep whoever had the car before me did a lazy paint job! they painted right over the original red paint! AHHH! oh well i'll get it repainted lol :) i also wanna make the roof area black so the entire roof line looks black and the body will be white :) what ya guys think? or should i make it another color?? give me your suggestions i got black cloth interior if that helps ya picture it out a bit.

thanks
davin

:p:
Do you mean to tell me they didn't even scuff it to the stock primer? :eek: that's shady if they shot right over the old paint. I thought you meant the undercarriage had some traces of Red. Mine still does here and there. I just have to get to those areas, scuff and paint them black. If a color change is done right...the only way you can tell the previous color is pulling the carpet or seeing previous pics of the car.

Good luck with it.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:34 PM
RedWhiteandBlue
Burning Brakes

Lots of people have been saying for years that all Corvettes are red....this is more evidence :smash:

Actually, I like white; the 35th suggestion is a good one. A previous owner painted the bar on my car black, and it was done very professionally....

[Modified by Barry94TorchRed, 4:38 PM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 07:59 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ahhhh my cars all red under the white (GusBustamanteJr)

If you are going to do it, do it right, paint the sail panel\targa area black, and powdercoat your rims white. Dont worry about leaving the paint under it, its normal unless there is a peeling\cracking problem, the real issue is the color change. Did he do the engine compartment\firewall, doorsills, under the rug, etc? I would check to see if perhaps its just one panel replaced in an accident. Going from red to white is not so easy to disguise. The color change is where you will take the most depreciation. Check the codes\vin to see what color it was delivered from factory.
like i posted before my vin numbers aren't factory originals they are British Columbia vin numbers given to my car as its a rebuilt stolen recovery and is a Canadian Import. so i don't give a rats **** about depreciation as the cars not worth as much as a non rebuilt non stolen would. and yes the cars red underneath theres lil dings all over the car that show it. but they painted all the sills and the engine areas. you can't see red the only way i knew the car was red was cuz i pushed my sideview mirrors back once and well the entire inner part of the mirror housing was red also certain parts of the doors edges might have hit walls when opened and they show red and theres a few lil rock chips on the hood that show red. the big thing that showed me the car was red was the rear bumper badge! THE OUTLINE AROUND THE BLACK LETTERS WAS A WORN OUT RED! ofcourse thats the first thing i had the car dealer replace before i even put a dime down for the car ;)

Quick Reply: ahhhh my cars all red under the white