C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

bbc swap progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bbc swap progress

I jump between forums and I didn't want to miss the friends here.
I know how we all crave pics so here is a couple on the progress. I felt like doing some of the stand up work today because I was sick of laying on the floor after putting the tranny in.

It shouldn't be long and I will be firing it up. I work on it whenever I feel like it so I don't have a real target date.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Looks great, she's gonna be a beast
Old 02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
cmcbunch
Instructor

Sweet setup. I was considering doing a 540 but my engine guy talked me into a 427 sbc. Did you have to install a cowl induction hood to clear that holley?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmcbunch
Sweet setup. I was considering doing a 540 but my engine guy talked me into a 427 sbc. Did you have to install a cowl induction hood to clear that holley?
I am leaning towards the old 427 stinger scoop. I like the open front and back idea.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great - man, that must be quite an undertaking!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember some time ago someone on the forum was dropping a BB into a C4 whatever happened to that one? Cool swap. Did you have to modify the Crossmember to clear the Balancer? and relocate the Steering Rack? Also some minor surgery to the Evap box on the Firewall to clear the pass. side Valve Cover? KEEP US POSTED THIS IS A GREAT SWAP Pipe
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pipe
I remember some time ago someone on the forum was dropping a BB into a C4 whatever happened to that one? Cool swap. Did you have to modify the Crossmember to clear the Balancer? and relocate the Steering Rack? Also some minor surgery to the Evap box on the Firewall to clear the pass. side Valve Cover? KEEP US POSTED THIS IS A GREAT SWAP Pipe

I used a 6.25" SFI rated balancer but still had to notch to clear the pan. Steering rack went 3/4" forward but all I had to do with the steering was to split the difference between the rack and the column. Evap box inside went away and put in a sheet metal heater box and then had to modify(beat) it in a bit more to clear the header and valve cover. A little black high temp and looks just right.

Everything else fits pretty good and it will look big but at home in there when done. It is easier when you are not going for that "show car" factory look. I just want the "holy crap" reaction when I open the hood.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Looks good!! I like the way you have been taking on the problems and methodicaly moving on to the next. Next thing you know, it will be in the street smoking tires.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

My wife came out to the garage tonight and freaked out

She said "THAT MOTOR IS TOO DAMN BIG FOR THAT CAR"

I was rolling because that was exactly the reaction that I am going for.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
pipe
Drifting

Thanks for the reply Iroc I wish I lived closer and could see this in person. Does the Dist. clear the Firewall? Also what type of Headers are ya using. Long tubes? KEEP GOING WITH THIS I GOTTA SEE THIS WHEN IT'S DONE Any more pics? Pipe
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply Iroc I wish I lived closer and could see this in person. Does the Dist. clear the Firewall? Also what type of Headers are ya using. Long tubes? KEEP GOING WITH THIS I GOTTA SEE THIS WHEN IT'S DONE Any more pics? Pipe

More room than I expected at the firewall. I am actually kicking myself for ordering a small cap dist with external coil. I have to find a home for that now.
I used Hedman elites for a C3 with 2" primaries(problem). The drivers went in with just a couple of mods with a special tool (big hammer). The pass side had to go to a shop that couldn't follow instructions so after the #3 primary was cut and moved twice I still had to bang and it might have to come back out and go to someone competent. It is hitting the frame and if that works I will have to pull the plug after some miles to make sure that #3 is burning ok with the smaller primary.

It almost looks like the wiper moter will go back in...time will tell
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iroc57
More room than I expected at the firewall. I am actually kicking myself for ordering a small cap dist with external coil. I have to find a home for that now.
I used Hedman elites for a C3 with 2" primaries(problem). The drivers went in with just a couple of mods with a special tool (big hammer). The pass side had to go to a shop that couldn't follow instructions so after the #3 primary was cut and moved twice I still had to bang and it might have to come back out and go to someone competent. It is hitting the frame and if that works I will have to pull the plug after some miles to make sure that #3 is burning ok with the smaller primary.

It almost looks like the wiper moter will go back in...time will tell
Wipers?

Pedal down man - the rain'll never hit the glass...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good work.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jonnymac
Good work.
Thanks bro
I need all the encouragement I can get
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When a small block wont do the job....
Old 02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
racer85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
pipe
Drifting

Are the Alt. an PS. going back in the stock location? And the Belts? Or ya gonna run a Serp. type system? Pipe

Get notified of new replies

To bbc swap progress

Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Are the Alt. an PS. going back in the stock location? And the Belts? Or ya gonna run a Serp. type system? Pipe
Going to use V belts. The serp wouldn't work with the balancer I have on it so I have a single aluminum on the balancer and a double on the pump. I may mount the alternator on the pass side for balance reasons(visual and water pump shaft).

You are asking the same questions that I had as I was going along...is there another big block C4 in our future on this forum?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
pipe
Drifting

With the added weight of the Big Block will you have to run a stiffer shock on the front or a stronger mono leaf? Pipe
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

With the added weight of the Big Block will you have to run a stiffer shock on the front or a stronger mono leaf? Pipe
Time will tell

I thought that it sat too high before so once it is down and settled I will lower the back and run it. I'm not road racing and the big blocks that I had when younger were like driving washing machines compared to this car anyway (old musclecars).

I haven't done any specific numbers but I think it will be fine for a weeked street cruiser.

Quick Reply: bbc swap progress