Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting*

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 01:08 AM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting* (JoeVette88)

[quote]"he didn't actually accuse you of Stealing. He said you didn't pay"

So, using your logic, what would the police put down on the report then? Not paying, or theft? I think he assumed that I committed a "drive off" and stole the gas. Upon further review he realized that I did in fact pay for the gas and I was not guilty of theft. Call it what you want, I consider not paying for something stealing. :rolleyes:

Joe, I didn't mean to start anything. But I think you also assumed as well. Assumed that he thought that you were stealing. Why not assume (as he said) that you forgot to pay (they are very different assumptions). I think the police, if summoned would write your statement, and the clerk's statement. If it happened (and I am sure it did) as you said, reason would most certainly prevail, you would have paid, and have been on your way.

If you ended up in court upon not being able to resolve it there and then, you would have to show only that it was an act of omission and not commission. Remember in this country (supposedly) you are innoncent until PROVEN guilty. Anyone can acccuse you of anything and btw, even if the cop did write that you stole gas........Not guilty until proven. Again, reason would prevail....

Those are just my thoughts, I am a teacher, not a lawyer.....that was my father's profession. But those are just things I seem to remember him saying. And I am not positive about this but I think the burden of proof would be on him to show you intended not to pay. Why would you have stopped if you intended not to pay...so it would be a simple case. I would think. Not to worry most everyone makes mistakes.

Both you and the attendant did on that day. So
:rolleyes: back at ya. :boxing :D

[Modified by torchred96, 5:11 AM 12/4/2001]
Old 12-04-2001, 04:57 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shhesh, talk about OVER analyzing everything, He thought you thought, rag heads... Is everyone on the rag? I would be pissed too. I would not stand for the accusation (or whatever you want to call it) and no apology. Remember you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Unfortunately, that does not apply when it comes to "most" people. Like some of the posts on this topic have shown, people tend to jump the gun regardless of the law!
Tony :rolleyes:
Old 12-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Justin Scherer
Instructor

Mine was MUCH, MUCH worse.

Was trailering my off-road motorcycle when I pulled into a station and used the credit card to fill the truck. Then did it again (Now high octane) for the bike. Took $3.20. And I drove off.

2 days later the New York State police call me 7 A.M. Sunday morning telling me there is a warrant out for my arrest. They explain the situation ($3.20) gas bill and that I have to show a receipt or go to jail. I say I never take a receipt. He explains then the warrant stands unless I can get American Express to prove it. I say, "Sunday morning????". You got to be kidding. He explains then a patrol car will be dispatched to pick me up.

So I call the station owner later that day. He can barely speak english. Says, "oh, so sorry, that pump do this all the time". I'm like dude they are going to put me jail! He says "oh, don't worry, I only bill you $3.00" and we call it even.

So I call the NY state police back and they say I will still have to go to court (and that I better get a lawyer) if the owner filed a criminal complaint. He didn't (thank god) so the matter was over.

Beware !!! Also note: my phone number was unlisted and the officer obtained it by lying to AT&T stating it was an emergency life or death situation. This freaked me out initially because when you get a call like that 7 a.m. Sunday morning you think a loved one was killed in a car wreck.

Justin Scherer
'92 white/red, 6-speed, ripper, gs brakes
Old 12-04-2001, 10:38 AM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

I've had all the experiences at the gas pumps and drive up windows. You have to realize that the person working there probably doesn't own a Vette and never will. They are not all MIT graduates and you must use self control. I used to fly off the handle in those situations but it just stressed me out. I came very close to bringing a baseball bat in a hamburger joint cause they got my order wrong to days in a row. I have since chilled.... Either we use self control or we'll be shooting at each other like in some foriegn countries without even knowing why? :nopity
Old 12-04-2001, 11:16 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"he didn't actually accuse you of Stealing. He said you didn't pay"

So, using your logic, what would the police put down on the report then? Not paying, or theft? I think he assumed that I committed a "drive off" and stole the gas. Upon further review he realized that I did in fact pay for the gas and I was not guilty of theft. Call it what you want, I consider not paying for something stealing. :rolleyes:
Sounds like a job for JUDGE JUDY!!!!!!!! :lol:
...ahhh come on people, we are all corvettians...we all bleed 10w-30!!!! :flag
Old 12-04-2001, 11:18 AM
JoeVette88
Instructor

Default Re: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting* (MardiGrasMan)

It's tuesday morning and I've calmed way down... Thank God. I apologize for having snapped back at some people. I've never stolen anything in my life :blueangel: and to be accused like that really torqued me off. I'm fell better now, so lets all be happy!

:seeya
Old 12-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Bones LT1
Pro

Default Re: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting* (Justin Scherer)

All that for $3.20?
So how much time would you have gotten for $3.20?
Petty poopie. The cops put thier lives on the line on a daily basis, but this is really petty and makes them look bad.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:06 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Never ever leave a store without a receipt..period. My mom branded that into me. She said in life there is always someone ready to accuse you of something.
One time I pumped gas, use my credit card...hmmm.. no receipt printed out.
Went inside, told the attendant. Her answer, "Sorry can't give you receipt since you use a credit card at the pump. Bahahahaha!!! Told her to give me receipt or I would call the cops on her. Made her do manual card punch, took all copies. She wrote on it "receipt for gas pump card purchase" or something like that.

:smash: :smash:
Old 12-04-2001, 09:33 PM
Justin Scherer
Instructor

Default Re: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting* (ConeKLR)

ConeKLR,
You got your act together (and a damn smart mom too).
Justin
Old 12-04-2001, 10:26 PM
matthyoo
Advanced

woah, torch red 96 -- you're from homestead?? weirrrrrd. but anywho, call em' what you like, people of all races are dumb. :boxing
Old 12-05-2001, 02:10 AM
kd4pbs
Instructor

So, was he a raghead or not????
Old 12-05-2001, 02:36 AM
torchred96
Pro

Default Re: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting* (matthyoo)

woah, torch red 96 -- you're from homestead?? weirrrrrd. but anywho, call em' what you like, people of all races are dumb. :boxing
Yes! But why is that wierd? My opinion or Homestead? Sorry that it disturbs you. We agree that we like red vettes and we both live in Homestead. My opinion makes me unique and yours you......no shame there. Can you imagine us all with red vettes and the same opinion? This forum wouldn't exist! I am glad it does. :seeya
Old 12-05-2001, 03:36 AM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

yeah i know what ya mean
one of my buddies thought i stole gas once at the station i fill up at but then i had to explain to em why i filled up and just talked to the clerk and walked off......... yep my dad has lots of friends and well we even got a Fuel tab ;) lol we pay the station each week. and we run a pizza store so we always pay in pizza too. :)

Quick Reply: Accused of stealing $10 worth of gas *venting*