C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So you want a C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redwing76
I don't know about the SL600, but I got the oil changed and a new MB battery installed in my 01 E320. $401.00 Its $160.00 to change the oil, Mobil 1. 8 quarts.

Trans service was $234.00. After 99 you can't just take out one battery and install another. A small battery needs to be hooked up to the car to save all of its settings. If not it could take 2 hours to reset them. The cars throttle is fly by wire, no linkage, all of the emissons are the same way.

Expensive car, but my 04 Explorer is a lot worse. Took it in for maintenance and it came back for $3,167.
Trans flush, $300.00 replace trasn solenoid, $700.00 new ring and pinion $2000.00 The Mercedes is a lot cheaper to own than a late model Explorer and its a lot better car.

To bad that my Explorer isn't as reliable as my E320.

I looked at buying a Porsche many times but I can't see buying a car no real engine to speak of.
I did own a 928 for a while and it was a perfect example of some really strong engineering and some really weak engineering, clutch, transmissons, injectors, etc.

In my experience the Mercedes is hard to beat, it does everything right and it gets 31 mpg.
I would do all of my own work. I want a 1996 - 1998 car. It would be after they improved the transmission and Pre-Chrysler. For the Porsche, I plan to keep it fairly simple and get a 2WD model w/o the turbo. NSX, not really anything to worry about, just want a stick.

Last edited by 80sRule; 02-14-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Corvette4
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE] If I had it to do over again when it comes to cars, I would have kept my 1970 AMX. At its peak, it pumped out more than 500 HP at the fraction of the cost of a Corvette. I digress.
There are far more important elements in our lives than these blasted plastic cars.[/QUOTE]

BlueMonster94 and Red Tornado, if you're not enthusiasts, why bother coming to this site? Why not buy/do something else that would make you happier?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette4
BlueMonster94 and Red Tornado, if you're not enthusiasts, why bother coming to this site? Why not buy/do something else that would make you happier?
i've been a corvette lover since 1970.

as i said earlier, anymore for the most part i came here to hit the PR&C section.

i've done what i'm ever gonna do to my '90, so the goal was reached and now its time to move on to a C5/Z. i will stick with that maybe 4-5 years, then its on to a nice used C6/Z.

and i'm just saying the C4 has reached time capsule status, and while beautiful, its become very dated. which is accelerating by the the second.

imho, holding on to old things will bleed you dry. payback gets less and less as it becomes part of the forgotten and the ignored.

it's always about the $$, because its just a car. any car holds that status in my book. read my avatar

Last edited by Red Tornado; 02-14-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
i've been a corvette lover since 1970.

as i said earlier, anymore for the most part i came here to hit the PR&C section.

i've done what i'm ever gonna do to my '90, so the goal was reached and now its time to move on to a C5/Z. i will stick with that maybe 4-5 years, then its on to a nice used C6/Z.

and i'm just saying the C4 has reached time capsule status, and while beautiful, its become very dated. which is accelerating by the the second.

imho, holding on to old things will bleed you dry. payback gets less and less as it becomes part of the forgotten and the ignored.

it's always about the $$, because its just a car. any car holds that status in my book. read my avatar
El Senor, Rojo Tornado, que es "enthusiasts"? Es una hombre con una Corvette? Que pasa amigo?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

Dear Juinor Member, one can enjoy one's car without being ****. At the age of 60, I'm considered stupid by youngsters out there whether or not they drive a Corvette or a Miata. For the most part, this forum is pathetic. As soon as someone has a different viewpoint about these plastic cars, someone gets their knickers in a knot. This thread is evolving into a knotted up knicker and losing complete sight of what the orginator of this thread posted.
Sure, it's nice to have a nice Corvette. It's much better to live a good life that is not centered on some damn car or other materialistic crap.
I'll stay on this forum until I am banned. In the meantime I'll speak my piece and tweak a few knickers along the way.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
ttickle
Instructor

Mark Twain said essentially the same thing much more concisely,

"The secret to happiness is not getting what you want; it is wanting what you have."

Since aquiring my 87 my want has been sated and I do want what I have. That’s not to say I may never want more in the future but for now I am satisfied.

As for the comments on C4's being dated, I think the styling, even of the early daughters of this generation, still stand out against today’s ubiquitous jelly bean look of the new cars, both domestic and import. I use mine as a daily driver and always tell whichever child is with me that we will be taking home the prettiest car in the parking lot as we leave the store. They roll their eyes but agree that to date it has always been true.

Not the newest, not the shiniest, probably not the fastest in some cases, but always, always the prettiest.

TT
Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueMonster94
Dear Juinor Member, one can enjoy one's car without being ****. At the age of 60, I'm considered stupid by youngsters out there whether or not they drive a Corvette or a Miata. For the most part, this forum is pathetic. As soon as someone has a different viewpoint about these plastic cars, someone gets their knickers in a knot. This thread is evolving into a knotted up knicker and losing complete sight of what the orginator of this thread posted.
Sure, it's nice to have a nice Corvette. It's much better to live a good life that is not centered on some damn car or other materialistic crap.
I'll stay on this forum until I am banned. In the meantime I'll speak my piece and tweak a few knickers along the way.
bluemonster, i like your style....as well as the substance
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redwing76
El Senor, Rojo Tornado, que es "enthusiasts"? Es una hombre con una Corvette? Que pasa amigo?

i would have to say, "fuera de fecha ain't no fecha"

mi amigo, gracias para preguntar
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado

i would have to say, "fuera de fecha ain't no fecha"

mi amigo, gracias para preguntar
Si.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I guess I don't get it. I love Corvettes, including my C4. I have had a C5 and I now have a C6. For me, it is about the hobby and the pleasure I get from owning and driving these machines. I love talking about Corvettes, especially the last 3 generations, as those are the ones I know the most about. I love to bring my cars to shows, not to win anything (I don't) but to meet a lot of nice folks and talk about my hobby. I love showing my cars to the kids that come by. I have been very fortunate to have owned these 3 great cars, but when I got my first Corvette, (the C4), it was the fulfillment of a lifetime dream. That may be why I still own it, I have a sentimental attachment to it. It does not matter what kind of Corvette you drive, the point is it IS a Corvette, a legendary American Icon.

Just enjoy the car... and drive the thing like you stole it!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM
BlueMonster94
Instructor

Drive it like you stole it. Don't store it in a garage like you don't want to be seen with it. All the while just know that it is just a car, meant to get you from point a to point b. If it does that job in style, then it's done its job, IMO. It should never be the center of your life. If it is, then you need to get a life worth living. Using it as a tool to bring people together, to have fun with, etc. are all good things. No gripe. Just keep life in perspective though. Corvettes, IMHO, are toys. There is nothing practical about owning or driving one. That's where Toyotas, Hyundais, and Fords (Chevys too) step up to the practicality plate. These cars should not be substituted for higher priorities of life, as mentioned before such as God, family, spouse, and friends.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM
firstvette 2
Instructor

Drive it like you stole it. Don't store it in a garage like you don't want to be seen with it. All the while just know that it is just a car, meant to get you from point a to point b. If it does that job in style, then it's done its job, IMO. It should never be the center of your life. If it is, then you need to get a life worth living. Using it as a tool to bring people together, to have fun with, etc. are all good things. No gripe. Just keep life in perspective though. Corvettes, IMHO, are toys. There is nothing practical about owning or driving one. That's where Toyotas, Hyundais, and Fords (Chevys too) step up to the practicality plate. These cars should not be substituted for higher priorities of life, as mentioned before such as God, family, spouse, and friends.
Why is it that the older members seem to have the best prospective in this forum? At 68 I still love crawling in and out of my C4 and getting smiles from little old ladies. It is a very functional toy, but as you said "These cars should not be substituted for higher priorities of life".
Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Newer vette

Ive owned a 1994 mint, sold it then went shopping for a c-5 just couldn't get one for 12500. all I had. My moto is buy cash or not at all, corvettes hold their value well. I Dont pay interest on depreciation,(most cars) and i have a operators policy on insurance so i pay 40 a month for all my cars.
Anyway I just purchased a 1996 6 speed that turns out is a lt4 power c-4 for 5K.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The original posted message should be taken to heart by all of us, ya know. Now what gets really booorrrring is reading all about folks getting pumped up over a car. It's ****, just plain **** how some Corvette/garage queen owners live and breathe these things. Yes, they are things, these things we call Corvettes. Yes, I like mine. I do not love it. I love my wife and kids and life in general. Therein lies my priorities, wife, kids, life and country.
If I had it to do over again when it comes to cars, I would have kept my 1970 AMX. At its peak, it pumped out more than 500 HP at the fraction of the cost of a Corvette. I digress.
There are far more important elements in our lives than these blasted plastic cars.
Pretty much back to my original post! Except the reference to the AMX. I guess I could substitute in the 77 Toyota Sedan. It pumped out a whopping maybe 60 something horses. I have enjoyed watching this thread. Keep it up~!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
VetteStir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madmikeee
I have a good life with many nice things. I make good money and have no debt except for my home. But the one thing I want I cannot have and that would be my "toy", my vette. I would be thrilled with a C4 even though my desire is a chrome bumpered shark. I don't want much just a nice LT1 6spd (Hell even a 91 L98 would work, I like the newer body style better) and there are many that I could technically afford but I can't reason the expendature(sp?), especially now that my wife will be unemployed soon.

So those of you that bitch about C4's being lame, or this or that being better, get over it. At least they are able to have a vette.

Quick Reply: So you want a C5