Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why does the L98 motor get no respect?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

does the LT1 has the same low end torque ?
ive never drive a LT1 car...
so the L98 its good at certain RPMs and then run out of breath ?
so the TPI is guilty forthat? how about adding a Super ram intake ?
big differences ?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
indeed thanks for noticing

you must mean the 4+3. i like the ZF, at least mine anyway since it feels solid and shifts true (the hurst shifter really helps, the stock one SUCKED). i cannot comment at all about a 4+3, never drove one.

but you're right, factory stock is all about a potpurrie of compromises, tied to budgets. the bean-counters own every process. then you have tolerance stack, but thats pretty minor. indeed, the aftermarket is there to fix the broken factory crap.
Yeah, I'm talking about the 4+3, the ZF6 is a pretty stout transmission. The 4+3 was wedged in to meet a stack of requirements. The 4 speed unit is pretty strong and can hold up to quite a bit of abuse, and the OD unit gets the job done and works moderately well.

However the stupid thing is not built to be easily maintainable, even preventative maintenance is a pain in the ****. As such they tend to get ragged out and don't last for the long run. That and even well maintained the thing shifts like a pickup truck.

The other big driver of compromises and I think we see a lot of that in the early C4 is the government. Emissions standards caused them to put on the choked exhaust, mileage standards caused them to put in the compromised transmission and the ridiculous gears in the automatics. Anticipated federal safety standards are even what gave us the goofy breadbox...

These are all things that make my car unique and I like about it, but are also things which with an infinite budget and infinite R&D and infinite time scale could have been avoided...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Those early corvettes look dated and old, their appearance doesn't compare to the other cars on the road. Aerodynamically they have way to high of a drag coefficient compared to a new Camry and the suspension and braking is downright primitive.....
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by INaband
I like mine, ...it's fast enough for me

I don't want anyone to think I don't like the L98 - it is a nice engine and a good base for performance upgrades (its an SBC after all) . And mine is fast enough for me... at the moment. Even tho the engine is underpowered compared to modern cars, the entire C4 package (brakes, handling, engine, aesthetics, etc.) makes for an awesome sports car.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I respect all Corvettes regardless of what engine is in them!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Outside of my current car, my 1988 red/red auto coupe was my favorite.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The L98 is the same basic SBC that has been around since 1955 with port fuel injection and electronic ignition
I have never seen anyone disrespect the L98 on here only point out that newer technology has come along but not always better (OPTI)
The SBC is a legend and always will be
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
The L98 is the same basic SBC that has been around since 1955 with port fuel injection and electronic ignition
I have never seen anyone disrespect the L98 on here only point out that newer technology has come along but not always better (OPTI)
The SBC is a legend and always will be

"The last old technology is better than the first new technology".
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yoslambo1@cs.com
I respect all Corvettes regardless of what engine is in them!
Is that a carb in there?
Shame on ya!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silverja
The L98 Corvettes were so successful in SCCA stock class racing that that won every race held in 1985, 1986, and 1987. Not defeated even once! Their competition refused to race any longer against L98 Corvettes which resulted in a Corvette only series of races - The Corvette Challenge - in 1988 and 1989. I consider this quite a powerful testimony to the L98 Corvettes in their day.

In their day, 1985 - 1991 the L98's helped Corvette earn the award as the "World's fastest production sprts cars."
Just to be fair, you are talking about the L98 and then saying Corvette dominated in SCCA. This is true, they did, but not because of the L98, rather because of the car. And I don't believe those SCCA cars were making the 230-240hp the L98 was. I seem to recall they made closer to 350hp, though the Challenge cars were probably less.

What award are you referring to in terms of "World's fastest production sports car"? I'd also say the L98's day was 1985 to maybe 1987 or '88. By the 1990 there were cars of similar price that made a fair bit more power.

Anyway, I think the real reason people rip on it is that power rating. 230hp. While you say performance is more than just one number, when people are quipping about the L98, they aren't trying to make a complex argument. It's easy to pick on the L98, which is why people do. But who cares? They are fun to drive and cheap to buy.

As far as being beat by a Camry, who knows? It's not impossible. I would bet 90%+ of L98 Corvettes out there on the road are not significantly modified. And while the L98 might beat "most" cars on the road, most owners wouldn't care nor try to race. The odds of beating people who will race you is probably lower in a stockish L98 than in a lot of other cars.

Anyway, whatever, who cares?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwing76
Is that a carb in there?
Shame on ya!
Yup...The 383 in there now needed to breath better...The crossfire just wouldnt cut it...I even tried the xram with no luck! Someday I will get a superram!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't the best Corvette the one that's parked in your garage??
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Anyway, whatever, who cares?

The L98 is nothing more than a production car motor with an intake that makes some low end torque, so it feels snappy on the street, thats it.
Respect though?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
Isn't the best Corvette the one that's parked in your garage??
that would be arrogant of one to think so. so the answer is no.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silverja
I have noticed countless threads that disparage the L98 motor. The LT1, LT4, and LT5 offer improved performance that would be expected as they were part of the ongoing Corvette evolution. But in its day, the L98's were unbeatable by Porsche's, Nissan Turbo Z's, Mazda Rx7's, and all others in SCCA stock class racing. Porsche gave up and refused to try and compete, along with the rest of the field. The L98 Corvettes were so successful in SCCA stock class racing that that won every race held in 1985, 1986, and 1987. Not defeated even once! Their competition refused to race any longer against L98 Corvettes which resulted in a Corvette only series of races - The Corvette Challenge - in 1988 and 1989. I consider this quite a powerful testimony to the L98 Corvettes in their day.

In their day, 1985 - 1991 the L98's helped Corvette earn the award as the "World's fastest production sprts cars." I admit that mine does not have much oomph over 4,000 RPM as the LT1's, LT4's, and LT5's that I have had the pleasure of driving. But most of my driving is on local public highways and doesn't necesssarily require the added top end RPM's. And its kick at low RPM's from its great torque band have kept me satisfied with its performance. Just like a Harley Davidson, I find my L98 to be a great highway cruiser that can get up to speed when demanded.

If I was in the market for a first Corvette, I would not be so quick to exclude a L98 equipped C4 Corvette. Some fellow forum members have added the extra punch to their L98's through modifications (Intakes, heads, camshafts, and exhaust modifications) that I believe make them competitive with the LT1's. But if someone is searching for the C4 that offers higher RPM top end performance, then of course one should look for a LT1, LT4, or LT5 equipped C4. One point about a L98 I enjoy is that it is almost indestructable and offers 200,000 miles if properly maintained and driven. Plus L98's do not have the Optispark issues found on the LT1's motors which can be expensive to fix.

One other point in favor of the L98 C4's was the 1987 - 1989 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes. These babies provided a factory warrantied L98 that put out 382 horsepower at 4250 RPM with 560 lb-ft of torque at 2250 RPM. All I am trying to say is that in their time the L98's represented the best performance in the world and maybe deserve a little bit more respect for this accomplishment. And personally, I still find the L98's with their intake runners to look very cool which ceased with the LT1's and others.

No disrespect to the LT1's, LT4's, or LT5's as I know they offer better top end performance. No argument here. But as a Corvette owner and enthusiast for over 40 years, I felt it was my duty to stand up for the L98's against their frequent critics. Especially from those who may not have even owned a L98 C4.

"Long live all Corvettes - old and new!"
If you think you have a beef ,what about L83 owners? It was called one of the fastest cars on the planet in its day. TIME. People just forget time frames. Some of those family Nissans today will actually do 0 to 60 faster than some of the muscle cars of 40 years ago.And some Corvettes fall in that group.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
If you think you have a beef ,what about L83 owners? It was called one of the fastest cars on the planet in its day. TIME. People just forget time frames. Some of those family Nissans today will actually do 0 to 60 faster than some of the muscle cars of 40 years ago.And some Corvettes fall in that group.
because if you're driving in whatever today, you compare to everyone else, today.

of course its not fair. so who cares anyway. its just goes circular back to the point....inadequate by today's standards.

you can't make excuses, you just modify and fix the factory shortchange. or sell it for something better. stock sucks. it was "ok" then, and should have been so much better. as for L83, well, there's a reason it didn't last long. and there's no getting around that either. it "is" what it "was".
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Boo Hoo. get an L83 then you can talk to us about people ******* your engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the L98 motor get no respect?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to like my basically stock 87 L98, haven't met anyone who doesn't...or looks down on it, not that I give a crap. But what are we talking about here? Because if you're talking stop light to stop light...like in the OLD days, the L98 will still hold its own or beat alot of cars! Always somebody or some car faster. Top end...hey, the max. speed limit in WA state is 70, and I can damn sure reach that fast enough. Strip, who gives a crap? If that's what you're after it ain't gonna be stock anyway.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
that would be arrogant of one to think so. so the answer is no.
Shoot! I was getting ready to use you for an example too!

According to your profile you have spent a ton of money on a 1990 doing the following:

Mods: 355cid, AFR/TPIS 187cc fully CNC'd 56cc heads, Accel Superram, Accel 219 cam, Speed-Pro forged pistons, Melling lifters, Cloyes double roller chain, stock TB to 52mm by AS&M, CC ProMagnum 1.6 RR's, ARP studs & bolts, FMS 24# injectors, Holley AFPR, Racetronix 255 fuel pump kit, FlowKooler water pump, Hooker #2149 headers & Y pipe, Magnaflow SS catback, Hurst shifter & ball ****, Taylor 8mm wires, CAGS disabled, 180 t-stat, 10.18:1 C/R. Firestone WO's. Tuned by my hero, Alvin at PCMForLess.

Is this not evidence of someone who thinks a 1990 is about all you need??
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i've had an 04z06, and presently an 08c6. people can say what they want, but i still have fun in my L98. ...and that's all that matters! -

Name:  2silver1.jpg
Views: 9298
Size:  46.2 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does the L98 motor get no respect?