C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

clearcoat stripping

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:40 PM
dallasknight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearcoat stripping

can anyone tell me the best way to strip the clearcoat off my 85 artic white vette. i was thinking about just sanding. i use aircraft stripper on my 56 chevy to strip it down.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasknight
can anyone tell me the best way to strip the clearcoat off my 85 artic white vette. i was thinking about just sanding. i use aircraft stripper on my 56 chevy to strip it down.
I don't know of anything that will strip just the clear coat and leave the base coat intact, if that's what you're trying to do. If your base color is in good condition but the clear coat is shot and you want to reshoot the clear then I guess sanding is your best bet.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

600 grit and lots of elbow grease Of course a few dura blocks would help Not a big fan of any chemical stripper on SMC or "glass"...It might permeate the layers and you'll never get it off..or out..Painting over that would be a real problem..JMHO
Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

its a delicate job to just strip the clear without going through the color coat...it can be done...are we correct to assume that the color coat looks good, but the clear is just peeling up?

just a thought though...i know when my clear was shot, the exposed color coat eventually faded to a different color when compared to the parts that still had good clear...not sure if that is an issue with white cars though
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Orlando85UCFvette
its a delicate job to just strip the clear without going through the color coat...it can be done...are we correct to assume that the color coat looks good, but the clear is just peeling up?

just a thought though...i know when my clear was shot, the exposed color coat eventually faded to a different color when compared to the parts that still had good clear...not sure if that is an issue with white cars though
It is.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

one other thought...i don't believe that u can just strip a patch of clear coat off a body panel....the entire panel needs to be done or it will just peel again....thats my understanding anyway
Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
ineVETTEable
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big of an area?

I had some pealing on my hood of all places, and was able to sand down the area the size of a butter knife to the base coat. I used duplicolor clear to recover the area and sanded the area a few days later with 1200 grit. polished and it turned out pretty damned good. hell of a lot better than the obvious pealing and one hell of a lot less expensive. Quoted $1800.00 for the hole hood.

If I didn't point it out most people wouldn't notice it!!

Get notified of new replies

To clearcoat stripping

Quick Reply: clearcoat stripping