Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 for daily driver, even in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM
matthimself456
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 for daily driver, even in snow?

Im in the market for a new daily driver / winter car. I have the opportunity to pick up a black on black 86 coupe with the 4+3 for significantly less than $3k. I am wondering if anyone here uses a vette every day even in deep snow. I am in Rochester, NY (halfway between Buffalo and Syracuse) so waking up to 6 inches on the ground 3 days a week for 4 months of the year is definitely not out of the question. Everything is VERY well salted, which makes stuff rust like no tomorrow so Im figuring with a vette at least the exterior panels and floors will be safe. It would get 16x7 inch steel wheels with Blizzaks or the like for winter.

My other question is what kind of average mpg's can I realistically expect? I seem to have a knack for pulling mileage out of cars that other find difficult so I guess I must have a light foot (doesnt make sense.) My last car was supposed to get about 12 but I always got 17, one before that was supposed to get 16 but I always saw 20-21. Anyway Im hoping to average 25mpg with my new car the way gas prices are headed. My other option is a 94 to 96 caprice or roadmaster wagon with the LT1. Those should get about 22ish if driven right but Ive heard chicks like vettes better than wagons

What do you folks think? Im not expecting a rocketship with the TPI motor but a few open track days at Watkins Glen will hopefully happen. Any huge reason why a C4 wont do snow? Should I go for it?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 177 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Default even in the snow?

Here's where mine will be for the next 5 months.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hows any car supposed to go thru 6 inches of snow? Its a Corvette man. Sounds like you should be looking at snow mobiles. I feel sorry for Corvettes that ppl drive in the snow
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
genefree3
Instructor

Lets look at this logically, my 85 at its lowest point might be 4 ins. off road. Now 6 ins. snow, less 4 ins, clearance equals 2 in. your pushing. Since it is not made by Western or Meyers, and is not 4 wheel drive how far do you think you'll get?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:24 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

My Vette is the true daily driver in the sense that it is my only driver. Last winter was my first experience. You know these things aren't really as bad in the snow as one might think. We had a couple of really good snows here in Kansas last winter. I got stuck at a stoplight once. Had to stop on a slight incline. The only reason I got stuck was due to the amount of traffic, I didn't want to risk sliding into somebody.

I put about 280lbs over the real wheels to start with. Then second or third gear starts to keep the tires from spinning too much. When measures got desperate, I just over powered the snow, just getting rolling then go slow. The real downfall of these cars in the snow is torque. I mean, I can spin the tires on warm dry pavement at the drop of a hat, which is fun. In the snow, they're just like any other car, just be careful and you'll be okay. Plus in the city, the snow doesn't last on the streets for more than a day anyway. If you live in the country, get a truck.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:28 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive mine in the winter, but I try to keep it out of the snow, and definitely out of deep snow. The biggest problem I've had is traction when you hit the pedal, the car just slides. I'm not sure I'd keep my Vette in N.E. if I didn't have something else to drive, too. I'm not one of those guys that thinks a vette will melt in the rain or snow, but can't say I'd buy one for a winter car either.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 PM
matthimself456
Heel & Toe

OK heres the thing; 6 inches is before its plowed. Realistically no one ever drives through 6 inches of fresh snow in anything less than a 4x4. My dad's winter car is a grand am, not lowered at all, and its about 4 inches off the ground at the lowest point too, handles snow great. Secondly Im not looking at a Corvette as a "classic" or whatever. This car is going to get used, I will maintain it but not baby it. I just really want a reliable driver that isnt totally boring. I could buy a C4 for 3k or buy a camry for 3k, but why drive a bellybutton losermobile if I have the option? I have fun project cars that never see winter but a boys gotta get around somehow from November through April.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 PM
tdbarnes
Racer

Hey, Touring...that's my car!!!!!!! db
Old 11-22-2007, 11:37 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by matthimself456
OK heres the thing; 6 inches is before its plowed. Realistically no one ever drives through 6 inches of fresh snow in anything less than a 4x4. My dad's winter car is a grand am, not lowered at all, and its about 4 inches off the ground at the lowest point too, handles snow great. Secondly Im not looking at a Corvette as a "classic" or whatever. This car is going to get used, I will maintain it but not baby it. I just really want a reliable driver that isnt totally boring. I could buy a C4 for 3k or buy a camry for 3k, but why drive a bellybutton losermobile if I have the option? I have fun project cars that never see winter but a boys gotta get around somehow from November through April.
Go for it. I bought mine for that very reason. For the money I could have bought any number of brand new ricers with a full warranty, but what fun is that? No, a Corvette is not "good" in the snow. But realistically, as I said earlier, in the city the snow on the street is gone in a day or so. Come join us in the madness you'll love the Vette.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Johns87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, unless you plan on moving, you are going to be driving in the snow! If You like the Vette buy it. I drove in the rain today and the car is really well-mannered on slightly reduced traction.
You said no-one drives in 6 inches of snow except with a 4x4 and one of your kin people drives a Grand Am in the snow. It sounds to Me like you really want the Vette and want other people to tell you it is a good idea(?)!
I don't know how great it will be in snow but YOU WANT THE VETTE! I say go for it, if you don't get stuck much you will love it the rest of the year. We ALL bought Vettes because We liked them not for any practicality!
If you are buying it locally for under 3, it has probably already been thru snow and salt (especially if seller is including snow-tires)!
Check the undercarriage out and make sure it doesn't have rusted 'safety' parts like brake lines or leaking fuel...etc..

We ALL bought Vettes because We liked them not for any practicality! You are only doing the same thing a lot of people are doing. A lot of people want a Vette but feel they should justify it's purchase.

I say BUY IT AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Care, Be Safe and ENJOY IT, -John

PS: I think it will be 'loose' and try to 'skid/hydro-plane' a bit if you try to use the right peddle too much in the snow.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:12 AM
matthimself456
Heel & Toe

Ha you got me. I totally was trying to make you guys talk me into it. Anybody else using a C4 like this already? From past experience THE deciding factors in the winter is a set of good snow tires and a scoshe of driving skill (surprisingly lacking around here for a place that gets so much of the white stuff...)
Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Johns87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have family in Rye, NY. My cousin had a C-4 and it was her daily driver year round.
That was a few years ago but same climate, same car. It might have been a bit easier for a cute female to get somebody to help her with any trouble, though!
She never told Me about getting stuck in the Vette, any different from anything else she ever drove.
Take Care, -John
Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Taho for snow vette for sun and fun
Old 11-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven my corvette in about 1 inch of snow on summer tires no less and it handled just fine. Any more snow or ice and you'd be totally screwed. It just slides around.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:41 AM
rube1975
Racer

ill tell you i drive my 6 cilinder mustang in the snow and ill feel the *** end slid (maybe and little maybe alot) on me about once ever 3-5 miles. a vette with about 150% more power would be all over the place even on a well paved and sanded road. plus if your in a accident u will prob. be dead, get a honda to drive in the winter
Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Having driven my ZR-1 in the snow driving it home from Houston on the I-10 and being stuck in Van Horn Texas I can say without a doubt its an experience I never want to repeat again. Just too dangerous
Old 11-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Local_510
Intermediate

Im in the market for a new daily driver / winter car. I have the opportunity to pick up a black on black 86 coupe with the 4+3 for significantly less than $3k. I am wondering if anyone here uses a vette every day even in deep snow. I am in Rochester, NY (halfway between Buffalo and Syracuse) so waking up to 6 inches on the ground 3 days a week for 4 months of the year is definitely not out of the question. Everything is VERY well salted, which makes stuff rust like no tomorrow so Im figuring with a vette at least the exterior panels and floors will be safe. It would get 16x7 inch steel wheels with Blizzaks or the like for winter.

My other question is what kind of average mpg's can I realistically expect? I seem to have a knack for pulling mileage out of cars that other find difficult so I guess I must have a light foot (doesnt make sense.) My last car was supposed to get about 12 but I always got 17, one before that was supposed to get 16 but I always saw 20-21. Anyway Im hoping to average 25mpg with my new car the way gas prices are headed. My other option is a 94 to 96 caprice or roadmaster wagon with the LT1. Those should get about 22ish if driven right but Ive heard chicks like vettes better than wagons

What do you folks think? Im not expecting a rocketship with the TPI motor but a few open track days at Watkins Glen will hopefully happen. Any huge reason why a C4 wont do snow? Should I go for it?
Move to Northern CA....

Get notified of new replies

To C4 for daily driver, even in snow?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

During the two winters I was stationed in Colorado Springs I drove my C4 in weather that had 4x4s sliding off into the ditches. (C4 was my DD and since I traded the wife's AWD SUV for C4 I didn't have the guts not to drive the vette.

I believe tire choice is crucial, when I switched to goodyear GSD3 F1 supercar tires my Icy weather performance decreased; however, I still was able to get around but not as sure footed as with the previous tires.

Last edited by aboatguy; 11-23-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 AM
HalAt5204
Advanced

Ha you got me. I totally was trying to make you guys talk me into it. Anybody else using a C4 like this already? From past experience THE deciding factors in the winter is a set of good snow tires and a scoshe of driving skill (surprisingly lacking around here for a place that gets so much of the white stuff...)
Virginia doesn't get snow like your area, but we do get it.

Mine is my daily driver, so I drive it in snow when I must. It's as bad/good as any other rear wheel drive car, so long as you're careful and defeat the ASR (you have to be able to spin the rear wheels sometimes when you climb in snow).

If you want the Vette, get it. You can make it work--mostly, but you will be defeated before the 4-wheel-drive crew will be.

Regards,
Hal
Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 675 Posts

I had an 85 I dorve year round, miserable p.o.s. in the snow. Buy something else. A Corvette is anything but fun in the snow, I would rather drive a 87 Crown Vic with 200K miles on it. I bought one after the first winter and WOW what an improvement.

Quick Reply: C4 for daily driver, even in snow?