C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvettes and Pacemakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM
SteveBlack90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvettes and Pacemakers

I had a pacemaker implanted two weeks ago. I have a 1990 C4 with the L98 engine. I am wondering if there are any problems with the magnetic field interfering with my pacemaker. I ask because I tried an aftermarket compass in the Corvette (attached to the windshield) and it would not read true. However, the compass worked fine in my other car. The pacemaker instructions tell me not to lean over a running engine.

If anyone can comment on this subject from experience, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

It probably relates to the windshield being so far forward and close to the distributor. The coil and wires would probably be your biggest concern for EM fields. You should be more then fine in your automobile just shut off the engine before you lean over it.

However if you want to be extra careful, might be time to upgrade to a LT1 or newer

The bottom of the windshield comes real close to the distributor on our cars and that is probably why your compass had problems.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Fast Doc
Pro

Forget about it, no risk. Pacers are very well shielded, even the old microwave warning is extinct.

Drive and enjoy. You watch the road, the pacer will watch your heart rhythm.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I suspect they are fully compatible. In fact driving the Vette will keep the battery in the pacemaker charged. Really, it's a little known feature I heard Jarvick had implemented.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Fast Doc
Pro

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
I suspect they are fully compatible. In fact driving the Vette will keep the battery in the pacemaker charged. Really, it's a little known feature I heard Jarvick had implemented.

Yup. I always feel charged after running the Vette.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveBlack90
I had a pacemaker implanted two weeks ago. I have a 1990 C4 with the L98 engine. I am wondering if there are any problems with the magnetic field interfering with my pacemaker. I ask because I tried an aftermarket compass in the Corvette (attached to the windshield) and it would not read true. However, the compass worked fine in my other car. The pacemaker instructions tell me not to lean over a running engine.

If anyone can comment on this subject from experience, please let me know. Thank you.
Hello. You will probably pickup more electromagnetic radiation from standing in the sun too long than leaning over on a C4. However if you have one of those newer elaborate pacemakers that can be tuned outside of the body with radio wave equipment maybe but I would extremely doubt it. If I may suggest maybe just due to the effort involved which could be even more damaging to your heart that you might consider leaving the major wrench turning to someone else. Checking the oil etc is fine but leave the rest to a mechanic you trust.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Daddy J
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor has a '62 and a '89 ..and a had a Pacemaker installed this last April. Like you I was wondering about the Pacemaker and asked him if he noticed any difference when he was driving his Corvettes. He said "No.. not on the '89 but on the '62, I noticed a lot of difference !!" ..."The '62 doesn't have powersteering and now it's a lot easier driving with the Pacemaker ... I don't get tired as quickly!"

(I just called and checked with him and he said that he hasn't noticed any negative affect. He says while he doesn't think there is any real danger, he's now more conscious of his Pacemaker and when working on the engines makes a point of not leaning too close to the alternator etc. when they are running.)
Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you wear a "heavy metal" apron?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes and Pacemakers

Quick Reply: Corvettes and Pacemakers