C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Airbags anyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:31 PM
1Fast7R
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags anyone

I know airbags have come a long way and are suppose to be good for handleing now but i don't know. I found this in one of my tuckin' magazines. What do you think? It kinda looks like they replace the rear spring. http://airbagit.com/product_info.php?products_id=3396
Old 10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 1Fast7R
What do you think? It kinda looks like they replace the rear spring.
Yep, that's exactly what there doing.

If you've ever been to any truck shows, you've seen the kids pull in and flip the switch and psssssssshhhhhhh..... slam their truck to the ground.

I believe these are more for the "show" crowd to get that slammed on the ground look, then for any type of serious handling.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
All2kool
Drifting

If you want a car with an Air Ride Suspension, buy a Lincoln Town Car, as I did.

(and that's my other Lincoln, a 6-passenger limousine in the background)

Last edited by All2kool; 10-15-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The GM Engineers made a good handling Vette. I would be leary to modify the steering because it might affect traction. Or the other way around. Once you start, with engine mods, offset wheels,etc, you are going to redesign the car. Can it be done? Sure it can, BUT if you hit that tree it is not the fault of GM. I like mine just the way it is, I wish it was faster than it is but I am going to leave it as stock as possible. Enjoy yours, baby it, beat it, it will still be better than any else built in the USA.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkazsr
The GM Engineers made a good handling Vette. I would be leary to modify the steering because it might affect traction. Or the other way around. Once you start, with engine mods, offset wheels,etc, you are going to redesign the car. Can it be done? Sure it can, BUT if you hit that tree it is not the fault of GM. I like mine just the way it is, I am going to leave it as stock as possible.
Well said.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That a 1990 TC?

I have a '91 and love it as a DD. Given that, the handling is not very "sporty".
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just put bags and a 4-link on my full size chevy truck. The handling is now greatly increase and the ride quality is just sweet. I certainly wouldn't do it to a track car, but a bagged vette could certainly be fun. I'd just hate to hear that compressor kick on while in the car...

If done right bags do handle great. I would think it'd help out the ride as well. Would be great on a cruiser, and weekend warrior ride. Would love to see it slammed to ground when parked.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Yep, that's exactly what there doing.

If you've ever been to any truck shows, you've seen the kids pull in and flip the switch and psssssssshhhhhhh..... slam their truck to the ground.

I believe these are more for the "show" crowd to get that slammed on the ground look, then for any type of serious handling.
Air Ride Suspensions (tm) have done testing in thier mules (which have been covered in various mags) and found the system to be superior to standard spring setups.

Sterling performance also has a fully bolt on air system that they've had out for several months. Some autocross guys were testing them and found them to be a good or better than the stock systems with the ability to adjust the ride for the surface, preload for 1/4 mile and get over a speed bump , all while slamming them to the ground for shows....and you don't have to get your hands dirty adjusting coil overs to do it
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by STREETKNIGHT
Air Ride Suspensions (tm) have done testing in thier mules (which have been covered in various mags) and found the system to be superior to standard spring setups.

Sterling performance also has a fully bolt on air system that they've had out for several months. Some autocross guys were testing them and found them to be a good or better than the stock systems with the ability to adjust the ride for the surface, preload for 1/4 mile and get over a speed bump , all while slamming them to the ground for shows....and you don't have to get your hands dirty adjusting coil overs to do it
Wow, guess they have come a long ways then.
I keep forgetting you can't compare some of the "ratty" trucks the kids drive to a fully engineered system.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
All2kool
Drifting

Originally Posted by 80sRule
That a 1990 TC?

I have a '91 and love it as a DD. Given that, the handling is not very "sporty".
Yes, they are both 1990's.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:11 AM
jsavoy
Racer

I'm recovering from back surgery and a friend sent me the link below. I'm considering it as it will be quite a while before I'm able to climb down into my 96 because of the ride.

Anyone seen/heard of this kit?

"Think SEMA and PRI only offer products for newer-model Corvettes? Think again. From Chassis Tech (www.airbagit.com) comes this complete, bolt-on air suspension for '84-'96 Vettes. This package offers full adjustability at all four corners, making it possible to personalize ride quality and performance. The assembly is finished in durable powdercoating and is manufactured in the USA. It retails for $2,795." http://www.vetteweb.com/events/vemp_...nce_parts.html

Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM
nfscook
2nd Gear

Default has anyone use this kit yet?

Originally Posted by jsavoy
I'm recovering from back surgery and a friend sent me the link below. I'm considering it as it will be quite a while before I'm able to climb down into my 96 because of the ride.

Anyone seen/heard of this kit?

"Think SEMA and PRI only offer products for newer-model Corvettes? Think again. From Chassis Tech (www.airbagit.com) comes this complete, bolt-on air suspension for '84-'96 Vettes. This package offers full adjustability at all four corners, making it possible to personalize ride quality and performance. The assembly is finished in durable powdercoating and is manufactured in the USA. It retails for $2,795." http://www.vetteweb.com/events/vemp_...nce_parts.html

I am thinking about useing this kit. but i have read some bad thing about this company on some other forums. but i have been to a few car shows that have this company kits and stuff on there cars and love them.

Get notified of new replies

To Airbags anyone

Quick Reply: Airbags anyone