C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Jacking An 87' vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
junkbonkin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking An 87' vette

I own a 1987 corvette and i would like to paint the calipers i have never actually jacked this car off the ground and i really don't want to use the jack it comes with i think they are all to flimsy so i was wondering if anyone could tell me good places on the car that i can use a floor jack on i have a special one that sits about a total of an inch off the ground thank you
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.c4guru.com/articles/TowingJacking.pdf
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good suggestions there but I use a point midway between the indicator arrows on the lower rocker panel. It will allow me to rasie one side of the car at a time and cuts down on moving the floor jack around.

If you do it this way, you need to look under the car at the midpoint of the pinchweld for a stud that holds the brake lines (on the left side) and the fuel lines (on the passenger side). You can place a floor jack just ahead of these studs and raise the car. Then place the jack stands and go to the other side of the car and raise it there. Add two more jack stands and you're done.

Should take about 5 minutes to do if you spot a jack stand near each point so you can slide them in once the car is raised. If you need to get the car up high, do it in stages. I always leave the floor jack under the car at a lifting point when I'm under the car. I also have a bottle jack under the car at the front crossmember. Never completely trust jackstands alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking An 87' vette

Quick Reply: Jacking An 87' vette