Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What do your neighbors think about your Vette ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do your neighbors think about your Vette ?

I've always got the hood up or I'm hanging out from underneath. They either walk by and make a comment like " your always having trouble with that car aren't you? " or they set in their own driveway and whisper among themselves. They never seem to have nothing to do but set and drink. Well I drink, and work on the car. One neighbor works for Ford and always wants to give me advice, but never lends a hand. Sometimes I feel a little lonely because I have to do the job by myself but I always feel I've learned something everytime I pittle with my car. So am I alone or is this a common occurence for DIY vette owners ?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They probably were shocked that the engine has never left the car!

Every other car has been bought minty, but very cheap, knowing there is a major engine issue requiring a rebuild. One neighbor asked, "what's wrong with it? I said, "nothing, I just really wanted it."

My neighbors never care, as long as you're nice, no problems from anyone. Great neighborhood.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dads90
I've always got the hood up or I'm hanging out from underneath. They either walk by and make a comment like " your always having trouble with that car aren't you? " or they set in their own driveway and whisper among themselves. They never seem to have nothing to do but set and drink. Well I drink, and work on the car. One neighbor works for Ford and always wants to give me advice, but never lends a hand. Sometimes I feel a little lonely because I have to do the job by myself but I always feel I've learned something everytime I pittle with my car. So am I alone or is this a common occurence for DIY vette owners ?
I live on a dead end road with 6 houses on it, 2 Vettes, mine and a C5 ( I haven't met him, but he waves) Don't worry, your neighbors' Toyotas/Fords will need work soon and they will pay big bucks to repair a car that will be worthless in 5 years. Save the wave!

Last edited by pkazsr; 09-30-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 PM
bob howard
Racer

Well, the guy across the street has a turbo C4 vert, and another around the corner has a Red 63 (not matching numbers, but has the right engine !!). As for doing any work, its been very minor. Today I replaced the rollers in the headlights on the ZR1. Other than normal oil changes, thats about it. As for help or advice. I get that here. Nothing from the neighbors, other than a wave !!!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

I wish I had a vette person near me, heck I would help him if needed. Only have forum members online to talk vette to. Ya'll are the best
Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i live in an apartment on campus at NC State and most of the kids drive horrible cars and or imports that r junk and all have fart cans. my and my buddy always laugh at the Hard a$es and make friends with the nice guys but we are trouble makers (rev or engines and or race them, AT THE TRACK)
Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 PM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by derekguzz
well i live in an apartment on campus at NC State and most of the kids drive horrible cars and or imports that r junk and all have fart cans. my and my buddy always laugh at the Hard a$es and make friends with the nice guys but we are trouble makers (rev or engines and or race them, AT THE TRACK)
College boyz r ya, huh?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

My neighbors stop by from time to time to chat and see what we are working on. One just comes over to dring beer and watch. The bigest is my customers that want to go to the garage area and see what we have done to the car. They always want to offer advise (usually soemthing that cost money) but never offer to help work on it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

yeah, we study hard and go to school but work hard play hard soooo..
Old 09-30-2007, 11:42 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in a small group of condos surrounded by "young, up and coming professionals". I'm the only person who works on their car here. Everyone is in their late 20s to late 30s. I've been here for four years and the only time I've ever seen anyone even WASH their car is a guy who just moved in down the road with a new mustang. It's nice to see someone do SOMETHING with their car. I work on the Corvette in the garage. Out of respect for the neighbors I don't keep the car in the driveway in various stages of disassembly. Sometimes I move it out in the driveway on nice days as it's easier than working in the garage. I think the neighbors think I'm a little crazy for pulling apart a perfectly fine running car (to perform the dash swap, harness swaps, bumper upgrades etc as posted in my sig.) Who knows what they think of me still never met most of them.

I grew up in the same neighborhood from birth until 22 yrs old. Great neighborhood neighbors used to come over all the time and chat. I knew everyone on the block. Live in what would be considered a "nicer" neighborhood now but after 4 years I've still never met most of my neighbors. Parents still live there and when I go to visit them the neighbors come over to see how things are going. I often miss the old block.

Last edited by VtVette; 09-30-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I've had the hood up alot since bringing home my corvette 2 yrs ago. My neighbors had commented on it, I told them like it is. Some was necessary a lot was pure detail or upgrade.
I've also had several comments on how clean I keep it. I try.
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

yeah i remember when i first bought the car, i always had the hood open. i fixed my A/C weatherstripping, oil, air filter, and what not. They always asked what was wrong, i simply looked at them and said oh im just rather do it myself than pay someone three times as much to do less of a job.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

When my neighbors saw me pushing the 'vette into the garage when I first bought it they all came over to lend a hand. They all seem to like it and are friendly and stop by to say hi. None of them lend a hand but I don't expect them to. My immediate neighbor made the comment that when I'm out washing it that it really "dresses up the block." Of course I live in a real blue collar community most of my neighbors are either machinists, factory workers or mechanics. Everyone is friendly and likes having me on the block.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Some of them at my last complex always complimented it, and like you I was always out there with the hood open either checking something or troubleshooting something.

I'm sure though that some hated the noise it made.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

All the kids are cool, they always want to go for a ride. I say " go ask your mom " I even get their help washing or if I need someone to hold a tool for me, they think its cool. I'm outside with the car all the time and I probally talked to the kids more than their parents do.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't had any complaints yet but sometimes i take off loudly from my hood. Although i live next to a 85 yo and a 70yo so i hardly ever see them. And the rest of them seem to ignore everything.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't had any complaints yet but sometimes i take off loudly from my hood. Although i live next to a 85 yo and a 70yo so i hardly ever see them. And the rest of them seem to ignore everything.

There is some riced out TA in the other circle near me that is probably much louder so i'm sure i'm fine.

Get notified of new replies

To What do your neighbors think about your Vette ?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't even imagine.... I just wave or say hi, that's about it. Don't know what they think about the Vette, but I'm sure they think I'm nuts. I'm constantly in the garage working on it, or in the driveway working on the truck.

I've been working on the paint for over a week and using 1000w halogens during the day. That has to look just a little retarded to the average person. Everytime they drive by they see me doing the same thing. They have to think I'm frikken insane.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 AM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The neighbors are good people, the 12 yr old boy to the west of us, really likes to come over when I'm in the gargage working/cleaning the 2vettes. He is very responsible and takes care of my dogs when the wife and I leave for a few days, here and there. The other day, he was outside and I was headed for town in the '89, so I stopped by to see if he wanted a ride .......... his eyes bugged out and got permission from Mom and Dad.

His excitement was like mine, when I was younger and got my 1st Corvette ride. He got some what of a spirited ride.

All the neighbors know when I'm outside cleaning it ...... it's getting for a cruize, most them stop and look it over (most of my neighbors are 50ish), I've told a few ..... the keys are in it ---- take it down the road and back. They come back excited and Thankful.

When you live in the country, good neighbors are hard to find - we watch each other properties when anybody is gone.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 AM
coltacp
Intermediate

I live in a neighborhood full of YUPPIES. My next door neighbor is an environmental leader in the state. I have a C4 plus two Yukons. I just love to see the expression on his face when I take the vette out for a gas wasting trip. By the way, twice he had his car towed because of a dead battery.

Quick Reply: What do your neighbors think about your Vette ?