C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Keep the C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keep the C4?

Its my 6th year with a C4. It has giving me both joy and much headache..
Its not untill now its somewhere near how I whant it.
It has cost me arm and a leg to get here, both economical and mental..
But recent I have start to get tierd of putting money into it. And frankly I have not drive it much the last 2 years. Mostly because of all the problemes I hade with engine builders, and lack of money/motivation..

Today thou, the engine is better then ever, I made several 12sec pass. And finaly after 1,5 year I have been abel to tune out almost all of the drivability issues I hade with my engine ( its a pita to tune the batch fire 8D code with a lt1 intake and a 6spd )..

Whats left to make it "perfect" ?
New paintjob, new seats, new tiers.
And a new, more quiet exhaust system.
Then i will have a "perfect" C4 in my opinion..

But the motivation is not there...

Thoughts like why not get a stock Z06 C5, or a bolt-on C5 instead? just "plug and play"..
I even tried the nissan 350z. really liked how that car handle..

Please tell me why I should keep my 16 year old car?
Make me belive its still worth to spend money on it..

Need inspiration......

Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was on AutoTrader last night and noticed lots of 98-00 C5's for under $18K.

Got me thinking about selling mine again...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
rap87
Racer

Unless you really love the car and nothing else will do it for ya, which doesn't seem to be the case, I wouldn't throw more money in the car. Especially with the value of c4s not being up there, you won't be able to recoup your money...and it is a 16yr old car...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 AM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

I had a chevelle for 12 years, never again. Life gets shorter every day, and the need to experence more gets more desired. I've had my vette for 2 years, I'll keep it another 2 years and Ill be ready for something different. Maybe another vette, maybe something else. These a lot of great vehicles out there, I'm looking to try some!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say if you really like the car, it's worth holding onto. It really can't go much further down in value, if it even is still depreciating. I don't know the market in your country, but I know here that there isn't much further they can go down. Some are going up based on rarity and condition.

For me, the perfect C4 is just some interior pieces away. I need the shift bezel and radio surround pieces, along with the windshield weatherstripping and the ECC display. I know that I wouldn't be selling my car, but adding another. I also know that more than likely it wouldn't be a C5. For the money they cost, I'd much rather have an r129 SL500 or SL600.

Last edited by 80sRule; 09-10-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm going through the same thing. Like my C4 but want to move to a C5, for performance and primarily to go to a manual from my A4. Still like the C4 though.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 AM
jughead1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rap87
Unless you really love the car and nothing else will do it for ya, which doesn't seem to be the case, I wouldn't throw more money in the car. Especially with the value of c4s not being up there, you won't be able to recoup your money...and it is a 16yr old car...

Sometimes it's just time to move on. I'd take a C5 well before I'd go to the 350Z.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jughead1
Sometimes it's just time to move on. I'd take a C5 well before I'd go to the 350Z.
That would be my advice
Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i know your pain.

that's why my next purchase will be a C6/Z06 that's about 5-6 years old.

stock C4 performance is simply woefully inadequate, and as beautiful as these cars are they don't cut it out of the factory. they must be extensively modifed to enjoy that way it should have been in the first place.

and before anyone flips out & gets their panties in a wad with what i just said, just remember that's my opinion, it doesn't have to be yours and frankly i couldn't care less either way.

had i realized this 4 years ago, i would have just put my money away and got myself ready for the Z06 route. one big lesson learned, no problem now i know the route to go.

i would sell it regardless and get yourself in a more reliable machine.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

if it whas stock, I wouldent hesitate. What keeps me from selling is all the work I put in it.. Straight line performance it walks on a stock C5, no doubt..
But then again, if you dont feel the "buzz" anymore...
Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM
wayne lowry
Melting Slicks

Do you like it if you do keep it, if you don't sell it, it really is that simple. I bought a C6 and kept the C4. THe reasons are

1. It's paid for
2. It's paid for
3. It doesn't cost much for it to sit in the garage, if I want to **** with it I do and when I don't I don't.
4. It isn't worth a helluva lot of money and I would rather burn it than dick around with some ******* trying to beat me down on the price.

I will NEVER sell either of my Corvettes, you take a bath on them anyways and once it's worth 10-15K who gives a ****.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

devilfish, cars are like women......they need traded in every once in awhile, some more often than others.

i understand where you're coming from. when you've got cost & pain is recent memory, it causes problems in the emotions dept.

when a woman causes enough pain, you sh!tcan her. same thing with cars, should be no different

good luck
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by devilfish
if it whas stock, I wouldent hesitate. What keeps me from selling is all the work I put in it.. Straight line performance it walks on a stock C5, no doubt..
But then again, if you dont feel the "buzz" anymore...
I feel your pain. I always buy used sports or sporty cars for my DD and the C4 is no exception. Most fun by far, and just about as reliable, as any other DD I've had. Some of them, and the Vette as well, have had work/mods. But, eventually most people have the need to move on. Key is to forget the sunk cost and just look ahead. What will it cost to get the C4 right? Will it be cheaper to get a nice clean C5 and get its straight-line performance where you want it? Will you then prefer that to the C4 overall? Do you still enjoy the Vette "experience" or are you ready for something really different? Try to keep it rational and get the emotion out because it's clear you will buy a fun car in any event. Aside from the Nissan, have you also considered perhaps a somewhat older Porsche in the price range? Might want to experience that for a while (I prefer the Vette experience for the same money, but it's nice to have comparison points). Good luck and HAVE FUN.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
jghmczo6
Racer

Originally Posted by devilfish
Its my 6th year with a C4. It has giving me both joy and much headache..
Its not untill now its somewhere near how I whant it.
It has cost me arm and a leg to get here, both economical and mental..
But recent I have start to get tierd of putting money into it. And frankly I have not drive it much the last 2 years. Mostly because of all the problemes I hade with engine builders, and lack of money/motivation..

Today thou, the engine is better then ever, I made several 12sec pass. And finaly after 1,5 year I have been abel to tune out almost all of the drivability issues I hade with my engine ( its a pita to tune the batch fire 8D code with a lt1 intake and a 6spd )..

Whats left to make it "perfect" ?
New paintjob, new seats, new tiers.
And a new, more quiet exhaust system.
Then i will have a "perfect" C4 in my opinion..

But the motivation is not there...

Thoughts like why not get a stock Z06 C5, or a bolt-on C5 instead? just "plug and play"..
I even tried the nissan 350z. really liked how that car handle..

Please tell me why I should keep my 16 year old car?
Make me belive its still worth to spend money on it..

Need inspiration......

I owned a 2003 Anniversary Edition ZO6, loved the performance (Scaryfast), car rode well, however in my opinion the C-5 is ugly, even the back is ugly. Now a C-6 ZO6 is a great looking and a performance monster. Bought my '90 new off the showroom loved the look then and love the look now. Speed is just a question of money..............so how fast do you want to go (quote from Dick Guldstrand).

This is my opinion........................
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the feedback...
As it looks now, the car will be up for sale next spring. I will keep driving it until i get the price I whanted. No rush...
When its gone, im going to plan a trip to the US and get me another vette.. There as just so much cheaper then here..

Thanks m8s..

Get notified of new replies

To Keep the C4?

Quick Reply: Keep the C4?