C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM
JeepCycle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 Corvette

I'm going to look at a 1986 Corvette that is being sold for a very reasonable price.

It has 72k miles and needs paint...the present owner had the paint stripped to change the color but abandoned the project because he bought a piece of euro-trash...the carpets are also removed also to change color...the car is a base model with a 4+3 trans...

What should I look for in the way of model specific defects?

I am interested in this car because I can paint it myself.

BTW as a novice Corvette owner, I am puzzled by these guys in the Firebirds revving their engines at me...What gives?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepCycle
I'm going to look at a 1986 Corvette that is being sold for a very reasonable price.

It has 72k miles and needs paint...the present owner had the paint stripped to change the color but abandoned the project because he bought a piece of euro-trash...the carpets are also removed also to change color...the car is a base model with a 4+3 trans...

What should I look for in the way of model specific defects?

I am interested in this car because I can paint it myself.

BTW as a novice Corvette owner, I am puzzled by these guys in the Firebirds revving their engines at me...What gives?
The 4+3 transmission can be very problematic. I guess it depends on what your getting it for cost wise?

BTW Firebird owners revving? Oh its called Envy
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't think of any specific problem related to the 86. It was the best C4, at the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Even with you painting it, it can still be more cost effective to buy a nice one. Also, don't hate on European cars. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and some others make awesome rides.

Is the weatherstripping good?
Is the interior good?
Has the overdrive unit been maintained, and has it been rebuilt yet?
Are there maintenance records?
How is/are the top/s?
How are the wheels and tires?
Does the carpet come with it?
If you have driven it, are there any issues with the suspension or brakes?

The main thing is the OD on the 4+3, make sure it's been maintained and if it has been rebuilt, get receipts.

STORY: One of those brand new bodystyled(3rd Gen) Firebirds was bothering my dad when he had his modded 63SW in the early 80s. The guy had more ***** than brains, my dad's car would light the tires from a standstill in 4th gear(4.11, heads, cam and nice carb; not pleasant on trips).

Last edited by 80sRule; 08-30-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I can't think of any specific problem related to the 86. It was the best C4, at the time.
And by the way, look to the Agent for more C4 tips, esp. '86 related. I do.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
ThomasRetUSN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 86 Red Coupe Z51 automatic that I bought about 5 years ago. The first thing I bought was the factory service manual (FSM) from then on things were good. Parts are pretty easy to get eather from GM or after market. If you are able to paint a car that would be the most pricy thing to have done. Most everything else is not to bad to do. Like I said get the FSM and ask questions. We will be glad to help.

Have Fun
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
All2kool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
The 4+3 transmission can be very problematic.
Do not be dissuaded from the car because of the 4+3, it is a great transmission. They are not problematic at all - but it can be hard to find a mechanic who is familiar with it.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 AM
JeepCycle
Racer

Thanks to all for the replies and tips...My 85 is a 4+3 and I like it...but I haven't had it long enough to experience the problems which seem to make some folks dislike it...

The carpet is gone...
I'm wondering if the car might even be worth buying as a donor for my 85...the price is 3500 obo...I'll be seeing it in a few hours.

The present owner has had the car for 10 years and put about 3k miles on it so he says...I want to find out how long since it has been driven as that will definitely affect my decision...or my offer...he says everything is in top condition and the car was garaged since he has owned it...I can't wait to see it.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

I had an 86 and I have one thing to add to this.
If it is an early 86 do not get it.
If it is a late 86 then go through all the other issues.

Early 86s with the cast iron heads have perennial valve cover leak issues.
They also have the dreaded power window creep "feature".

Late 86 and up the L98 was a very solid engine...
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early C4's are just coming into thier own.
At the Kruse International Auction a 1988 Corvette cpe sold at
$29,160. July 20-21 2007
35th anniversary car with 9000 miles. One owner, the car returned 85% of its purchase price.

As far the iron heads go some say thier better. 4+3 is a bomb with a short fuse. But then it sounds like that car is a piggy bank anyway you cut it.

My advice is front all the money and buy a nice car and be done with it.
Its cheaper in the long run.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

$3500?

Does the carpet come with it? How much do you figure it will cost to paint the car?

These are two areas that you know will need attention. If you purchase it, you may run into a lot of other problems you didn't know about before. To sum it up, you might be putting more money into it, than it will be worth. JMO.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redwing76
My advice is front all the money and buy a nice car and be done with it.
Its cheaper in the long run.
This is good advise. My current 86E is a project car and I have put more money into it than I will ever get back. I currently have about $12K in the car and it will most likely sell for half that. The amount of time, blood, sweat, and profanity I have used..is the only reason I still keep it.

Here it is. BTW, I paid $2,000 for the car in 2000.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM
JeepCycle
Racer

Most of my materials except for the paint itself are free...my time is free when I'm doing something enjoyable...

I know this may sound crazy...but...I never buy things with the thought of..."how much will I get back in $$$....I buy things...toys that is...with the thought of...how much will I enjoy this...

I am not going to "restore" this Corvette. I just want something cool to drive that will be fun...cool meaning...what I think is cool not somebody elses Idea...I do things for my own enjoyment, but I also don't want to try to raise the Titanic.

I DO appreciate all the input...I will think about this before I decide to plunk any cash down...it will certainly affect the offer I make...

Thanks very much,
JC
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
JeepCycle
Racer

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Even with you painting it, it can still be more cost effective to buy a nice one. Also, don't hate on European cars. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and some others make awesome rides.

Is the weatherstripping good?
Is the interior good?
Has the overdrive unit been maintained, and has it been rebuilt yet?
Are there maintenance records?
How is/are the top/s?
How are the wheels and tires?
Does the carpet come with it?
If you have driven it, are there any issues with the suspension or brakes?

The main thing is the OD on the 4+3, make sure it's been maintained and if it has been rebuilt, get receipts.

STORY: One of those brand new bodystyled(3rd Gen) Firebirds was bothering my dad when he had his modded 63SW in the early 80s. The guy had more ***** than brains, my dad's car would light the tires from a standstill in 4th gear(4.11, heads, cam and nice carb; not pleasant on trips).
I don't HATE any car...it was a joke referring to him giving up on what is for many...a big piece of the American boy's dream...to own a Corvette...for a foreign car......I actually like anything that has wheels on it...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

I know this may sound crazy...but...I never buy things with the thought of..."how much will I get back in $$$....I buy things...toys that is...with the thought of...how much will I enjoy this...

I usually never look at it this way or should I say my wife doesn't. I am still in the process of "restoring" my 86. I've drove the car less than 800 miles in 7 years. If you have the funds, go for it. I always enjoy working on my vettes when I can find the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
86VX1
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
i agree
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

I say go for it.Sounds like the worst part of the repaint job has already been done.As for the cast iron heads,their a little heavier,so what.
If the valve covers leak,replace with good quality gaskets,and install them properly,yes properly,and you won't have an issue.The window regulators are not the best design in the world granted.Keep the strip and gears well lubed and they should last quit a long time,but they will never get your windows up and down at the speed of light.If it's stock,you will have Bosch injection,which is very reliable.IMO there is nothing wrong with an 86E.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Corvette

Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Most of my materials except for the paint itself are free...my time is free when I'm doing something enjoyable...

I am not going to "restore" this Corvette. I just want something cool to drive that will be fun...cool meaning...what I think is cool not somebody elses Idea...I do things for my own enjoyment, but I also don't want to try to raise the Titanic.

I DO appreciate all the input...I will think about this before I decide to plunk any cash down...it will certainly affect the offer I make...

Thanks very much,
JC
"Sanity and happiness make an impossible combination"........Mark Twain
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Thanks very much,
JC
Your time is never free, you only git so much time and then its over.
I've been where your at many, many times. It always seems to be that at some point you'll need the money thats in the piggy bank and the Corvette will be gone.

Ive rebuilt many a Corvette both by the hour, working in a Corvette shop and in my driveway, but I always couldn't help but think that those that bought all of my hard work and stolen hours got the most of the deal.

Your time is limited, mine isn't its near over, but yours is.
Make the most of it, avoid all costs making money for other people.
They will suck it till your dry and then throw you on the fires of eternity.

If your not enjoying every minute of your life its a life wasted.
"Let him that has ears listen".
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

reb, great post

Quick Reply: 1986 Corvette