C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcolling
I had an 86 and I have one thing to add to this.
If it is an early 86 do not get it.
If it is a late 86 then go through all the other issues.

Early 86s with the cast iron heads have perennial valve cover leak issues.
They also have the dreaded power window creep "feature".

Late 86 and up the L98 was a very solid engine...
You're kidding. Not buying a car because the valve covers might leak?? That's why they make gaskets. It's a SBC for god's sake.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
JeepCycle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...I drove a 100+ mile round trip to see this car....it could not have been the same car that was described over the telephone...If I called this ...this THING....a dogturd with crappy wheels and tires...I would be insulting dogturds and crappy wheels and tires everywhere...If there wasn't one of those paperlike car covers on it, I wouldn't have even stopped and got out of my Jeep...this ....this THING....would take ten thousand Euros to be worth 3500 US...I tried to take a picture of it with my cellcam but the dude got the cover back on before I could...It was pitiful and I told him so explaining that he completely wasted my gas time and effort to get there...and that he had completely misrepresented that heap of dung as a car much less a Corvette...I wanted to shoot the car to put it out of its misery...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:15 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For $3500, the car should at least be drivable, IMO.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

Originally Posted by JeepCycle
Well...I drove a 100+ mile round trip to see this car....it could not have been the same car that was described over the telephone...If I called this ...this THING....a dogturd with crappy wheels and tires...I would be insulting dogturds and crappy wheels and tires everywhere...If there wasn't one of those paperlike car covers on it, I wouldn't have even stopped and got out of my Jeep...this ....this THING....would take ten thousand Euros to be worth 3500 US...I tried to take a picture of it with my cellcam but the dude got the cover back on before I could...It was pitiful and I told him so explaining that he completely wasted my gas time and effort to get there...and that he had completely misrepresented that heap of dung as a car much less a Corvette...I wanted to shoot the car to put it out of its misery...
Hmmm.could you be a little more specific about what was wrong with it?
Dogturd encompasses alot.Tires were bad? Oh my god!Not the tires!Good thing you walked away.
You said you don't mind a little work,but I'm with you on this one.Wheels and tires are not a project that I would want to take on!

Last edited by GIMMESOME; 08-31-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 PM
matrix040
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by All2kool
Do not be dissuaded from the car because of the 4+3, it is a great transmission. They are not problematic at all - but it can be hard to find a mechanic who is familiar with it.

Just had new filter and fluid changed in mine today. Some say to maintain it every 3000 miles. I do and have had no problem. I like it.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
JeepCycle
Racer

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
Hmmm.could you be a little more specific about what was wrong with it?
Dogturd encompasses alot.Tires were bad? Oh my god!Not the tires!Good thing you walked away.
You said you don't mind a little work,but I'm with you on this one.Wheels and tires are not a project that I would want to take on!
OK...here goes...the paint was sort of stripped off...off all the easy places to get to...the windows were down and it was, according to him...sitting there for a couple of years...the weatherstripping was shot...every piece of it...the dash was gutted...the top was cracked...large...the body itself looked like it had been whacked all over with a hammer in freezing conditions as there was so many cracks I'd need a scientific calculator to count them...the tires were like baloney skins except for the dry rot cracks which he probably considered tread depth...the wheels, were peeled, the door panels...gone...the carpet...gone...the door sills...gone...the console...there was a console here?...the speaker covers...poked full of holes...the seats....oh my gawd...nose piece...I dunno it's around somewhere...the back body piece...the tail end was cut off...yep...cut off...the sides were there...but not the back...he swore up and down that it ran...but I ran first....far away...

Detailed enough???
Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by redwing76
Your time is never free, you only git so much time and then its over.
If your not enjoying every minute of your life its a life wasted.
"Let him that has ears listen".
Sayeth the "Winger"

My early 86 has been a joy. Luckily it was 99% intact and functional......... before I "fixed it"

As for the VC leaks, new gaskets.
And the window issue, replace the nylon tape and lube it.

The biggest hassle is the diff leaking. But thats not just 86e's....

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 09-02-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

Originally Posted by JeepCycle
OK...here goes...the paint was sort of stripped off...off all the easy places to get to...the windows were down and it was, according to him...sitting there for a couple of years...the weatherstripping was shot...every piece of it...the dash was gutted...the top was cracked...large...the body itself looked like it had been whacked all over with a hammer in freezing conditions as there was so many cracks I'd need a scientific calculator to count them...the tires were like baloney skins except for the dry rot cracks which he probably considered tread depth...the wheels, were peeled, the door panels...gone...the carpet...gone...the door sills...gone...the console...there was a console here?...the speaker covers...poked full of holes...the seats....oh my gawd...nose piece...I dunno it's around somewhere...the back body piece...the tail end was cut off...yep...cut off...the sides were there...but not the back...he swore up and down that it ran...but I ran first....far away...

Detailed enough???
Sounds like dogturd just about sums it up
I have two dogs,and together they don't make that much of a mess!

Quick Reply: 1986 Corvette