Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone in Atlanta have set-up to reset when cooling fans come on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone in Atlanta have set-up to reset when cooling fans come on?

I have a '96 Lt1 CE and I live in Cumming. I'm wondering if anyone that already has the set-up to reset the cooling fans to come on at lower temps would mine helping me.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

What exactly do you need to know? A previous owner of my LT4 reprogrammed the fans to come on sooner using a Hypertech PPIII. I did the same on my previous 96 LT1....
Old 08-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Ga_blueeyes
Advanced

I was concerned about the cooling fans not coming on quick enough in my 1990 L98 but after talking with some other forum members about the fact this may not be as bad as it looks I just left it alone. Looking at my temp gauge it appears the fan does not kick on until 250 degrees but since it really does not show 250 degrees it may be the gauge is not perfect and may really not be that hot. The car never acted different and when the fan does kick in, it cools it down quick.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

I'm looking for someone that wouldn't mine using their hypertech or laptop w/software to reset when the fans come on.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by '96 Collector's
I'm looking for someone that wouldn't mine using their hypertech or laptop w/software to reset when the fans come on.
The only way you'll be able to use the Hpertech programmer to re-program your fan's, is if the other person returns their car back to stock program.

The Hypertech programmer will only work on ONE car at a time.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
InHot
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
The only way you'll be able to use the Hpertech programmer to re-program your fan's, is if the other person returns their car back to stock program.

I was going to tell him that but figured he would want a second opinion.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is running extremely hot then just "forcing" the fans to come on could mask the real problem. You could have a clogged radiator, air in the system or it could just be this ungodly heat we've had here for 2 weeks.

I did a search in the tech tips section and following the advice regarding fuel pressure have taken the vacum line off my FPR and capped both it and the regulator. Not so much for any power gains but to see if the engine does indeed run cooler..........I can report that it does run cooler. Out and about today in local traffic it averaged just at 200 degrees.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=154&TopicID=2

Last edited by Yellow2015; 08-26-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

And I think LT1-Edit, the reprogramming software which you run on a laptop, has some kind of licensing restrictions so unless you bought additional licenses, it will only work on one car too. I'm not absolutely sure about that though...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:36 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

May I suggest PCMFORLESS. Send in your PCM to Bryan and do the fans along with other changes to make the car run cooler and stronger. It costs about $175, and you will be thrilled.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 PM
InHot
Instructor

If he won't buy an FSM, I doubt he will pay for a tune.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Originally Posted by InHot
If he won't buy an FSM, I doubt he will pay for a tune.
I to could make assumptions about Inhot, but I prefer to avoid making this a platform for sarcasm and personnel issues. I'm aware that this format of communication lends itself to misunderstandings. But lets not forget that we are here to join in and share our enjoyment of Corvettes.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
InHot
Instructor

I to could make assumptions about Inhot, but I prefer to avoid making this a platform for sarcasm and personnel issues. I'm aware that this format of communication lends itself to misunderstandings. But lets not forget that we are here to join in and share our enjoyment of Corvettes.
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic and it's not personal. You are probably a great guy but you seem to want people to spoon feed you info that is readily available in the FSM. I have answered several of your questions by picking up my FSM and looking it up. I am expressing my opinion. I spend hours reading my manual because I want to know all I can about my car. I enjoy it because I am a car guy. Everyone who wants to work on their Vette needs one.

If that means we won't be drinking buddies, I guess I will have to learn to live with it.

Last edited by InHot; 08-27-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Originally Posted by InHot
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic and it's not personal. You are probably a great guy but you seem to want people to spoon feed you info that is readily available in the FSM. I have answered several of your questions by picking up my FSM and looking it up. I am expressing my opinion. I spend hours reading my manual because I want to know all I can about my car. I enjoy it because I am a car guy. Everyone who wants to work on their Vette needs one.

If that means we won't be drinking buddies, I guess I will have to learn to live with it.
Great may be an overstatement. If all I or anyone else cared about was what's in the FSM there would be no need for this forum. Every question could be answered with, look it up in the FSM, why don't you have an FSM, ...FSM, ...FSM... and so on. I'm just looking for answers and help in the spirit of camaraderie this forum is here for. Why you feel it's necessary to respond in the way you do, only you know. Why attack when you can so easily not engage, again only you know or may be you should find out.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:38 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.corvettecentral.com

part # 244455 $39.95 each (low temp fan switch)

Last edited by redwing76; 08-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM
InHot
Instructor

Great may be an overstatement. If all I or anyone else cared about was what's in the FSM there would be no need for this forum. Every question could be answered with, look it up in the FSM, why don't you have an FSM, ...FSM, ...FSM... and so on. I'm just looking for answers and help in the spirit of camaraderie this forum is here for. Why you feel it's necessary to respond in the way you do, only you know. Why attack when you can so easily not engage, again only you know or may be you should find out.
I give up! I promise that I will never again reply to any post you make.

Do me the same courtesy please.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Dond17
Intermediate

Default Turn on fans when motor get too hot.

I have a '96 Lt1 CE and I live in Cumming. I'm wondering if anyone that already has the set-up to reset the cooling fans to come on at lower temps would mine helping me.
On the drivers side by the rad are three relays. The top relay has a green wire that is a ground wire. I wired into this wire and ran a wire to a toggle switch and to a good ground. When you ground this green relay wire both fans come on and your temp will drop. Place the toggle switch inside the car, so that you can reach it and when the engine gets to hot, like in trafic, you turn the switch on the engine cools down and everyone is happy
Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dond17
On the drivers side by the rad are three relays. The top relay has a green wire that is a ground wire. I wired into this wire and ran a wire to a toggle switch and to a good ground. When you ground this green relay wire both fans come on and your temp will drop. Place the toggle switch inside the car, so that you can reach it and when the engine gets to hot, like in trafic, you turn the switch on the engine cools down and everyone is happy
I'm a little confused. I've got a 96 LT4 with the three relays and once the engine reaches operating temperature, both fans come on. Once the temps cross that higher threshhold, then both fans kick in to high speed. Do you mean when you turn on your switch, both fans go to high speed?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in Atlanta have set-up to reset when cooling fans come on?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dond17
Thank you, that sounds easy enough.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Originally Posted by tobijohn
I'm a little confused. I've got a 96 LT4 with the three relays and once the engine reaches operating temperature, both fans come on. Once the temps cross that higher threshhold, then both fans kick in to high speed. Do you mean when you turn on your switch, both fans go to high speed?
I want to engage the fans sooner then the 228 or so degrees that their programed. With the temps we have been hitting in Ga. lately I've sat in traffic and watched the temp go up to 245 on the digital readout. The other day it was cold here, it didn't go much pass 90 outside and the Vette's temp stayed around 200.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 AM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to engage the fans sooner then the 228 or so degrees that their programed. With the temps we have been hitting in Ga. lately I've sat in traffic and watched the temp go up to 245 on the digital readout. The other day it was cold here, it didn't go much pass 90 outside and the Vette's temp stayed around 200.
Turning on the fans sooner might help. However, stock settings should have turned on both fans on slow at 228, and both fans on high at 236+/-, yet the temperature still went up to 245! Did the temperature stop climbing while you were still sitting in traffic, or did the traffic let-up and driving brought the temperature down?

I would echo one of the other replies. If the fans at stock settings are not keeping the temperature down, turning them on sooner probably will not either.

It really sounds like there is something else contributing to the temperature and solving that issue will be a more permanent solution.

One additional thought beyond ones that many of us have suggested. Check the resistance of the electrical ground of the fans to the chassis (might be just aft of the relays on the frame rail). If the ground is not good (e.g. resistance), it could act like another 'fan motor' in the circuit and actually cause the slow and high speeds to be less than they are supose to be...

Quick Reply: Anyone in Atlanta have set-up to reset when cooling fans come on?