C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carlisle newbie bringing the wife along

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
1990Redcoupe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carlisle newbie bringing the wife along- The Results

This will be my 1st Carlisle trip and I am really pumped. My wife is coming as well and while she loves our vette she is not that thrilled about spending the weekend looking at 3000 other vettes and a bunch of auto parts. Its just not her cup of tea.

Most of the large hot rod shows I have been too have entertainment, craft vendors, shirt shacks and other things for the non fanatics. I assume Carlisle is the same.

Can anyone tell me what she has to look forward too ?

Thanks.

8/26/2007 - Posted follow up to the trip. See bottom of thread.

Last edited by 1990Redcoupe; 08-26-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: posted follow up
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990Redcoupe
she is not that thrilled about spending the weekend looking at 3000 other vettes and a bunch of auto parts. Its just not her cup of tea.
Hmm with the stated above I think your in for a lot of pain and untold agony. Buy her some shoes and go alone or with a beer buddy.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Revman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No good can come from bringing your wife to Carlisle. She sounds like my wife, and she will not enjoy it. The womens oasis is not going to do it for her, believe me. Been there, done that.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 PM
383_Proof
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revman
No good can come from bringing your wife to Carlisle. She sounds like my wife, and she will not enjoy it. The womens oasis is not going to do it for her, believe me. Been there, done that.
ditto. this year is my 1st time to Corvettes at Carlisle. I took my wife to Ford at Carlisle two years ago (when I owned a Cobra)... we left early and I still hear about it.

I'm riding solo but i guess it's better than hearing "how far is it? we're going to do what? what's there to see? it's too hot! it's raining! i don't want to eat there...."

Sorry.... I just had a flash back!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Two places I don't take my wife, the golf course and a car show.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Yakko
Le Mans Master

Oh sure, there are lots of other cool things in the area she could do.
Mall, movie, Target, Linens n Things.......just like home.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you married guys, why would you take a woman to the last bastion of places on earth where you'll finally actually enjoy yourself without forcing it -- golf course, racing, for chrissakes any sporting event, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,............................next time, THINK, meaning don't even consider inviting her. women who like this stuff are sorta rare......which is great, by default.......leave it at that and don;t drag them along to only screw it up for you. these places are really a man's world, let's try to keep it that way.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 08-22-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

100% Unless they are a car chick they wont learn to like it, appreciate it , work on it with you as much as you would hope they would. Chicks like purses, shoes, gossip and foofy chit that means absolutely nothing.

Some things are better off done by yourself or with the boys. Go meet some other members there, buy stuff you dont need, talk cars and get half baked. Thats what its all about....Your punishment will await you when you get home.

Last edited by cv67; 08-22-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 PM
eagleye
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

I have to say my wife is pretty good about going to Carlisle. This will be our 6th year and we go Friday to Sunday. She is the one who approves all the purchases so she has to go!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 PM
asmartrguy
Heel & Toe

I would say don't bring her. Its going to be my first time also and I talked to my GF about it and when I told her what it was and what would be there she gave me a stare like what are you kidding, so Im going alone. At least I can go to he beauty contest and not fee l guilty
Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

This will be my 1st Carlisle trip and I am really pumped. My wife is coming as well and while she loves our vette she is not that thrilled about spending the weekend looking at 3000 other vettes and a bunch of auto parts. Its just not her cup of tea.

Most of the large hot rod shows I have been too have entertainment, craft vendors, shirt shacks and other things for the non fanatics. I assume Carlisle is the same.

Can anyone tell me what she has to look forward too ?

Thanks.
...take your wife to carlisle -

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Hmm with the stated above I think your in for a lot of pain and untold agony. Buy her some shoes and go alone or with a beer buddy.

Originally Posted by Revman

Originally Posted by 383_Proof
ditto. this year is my 1st time to Corvettes at Carlisle. I took my wife to Ford at Carlisle two years ago (when I owned a Cobra)... we left early and I still hear about it.

I'm riding solo but i guess it's better than hearing "how far is it? we're going to do what? what's there to see? it's too hot! it's raining! i don't want to eat there...."

Sorry.... I just had a flash back!

Originally Posted by 89 Bob L
Two places I don't take my wife, the golf course and a car show.

Originally Posted by Yakko
Oh sure, there are lots of other cool things in the area she could do.
Mall, movie, Target, Linens n Things.......just like home.

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
you married guys, why would you take a woman to the last bastion of places on earth where you'll finally actually enjoy yourself without forcing it -- golf course, racing, for chrissakes any sporting event, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,............................next time, THINK, meaning don't even consider inviting her. women who like this stuff are sorta rare......which is great, by default.......leave it at that and don;t drag them along to only screw it up for you. these places are really a man's world, let's try to keep it that way.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
100% Unless they are a car chick they wont learn to like it, appreciate it , work on it with you as much as you would hope they would. Chicks like purses, shoes, gossip and foofy chit that means absolutely nothing.

Some things are better off done by yourself or with the boys. Go meet some other members there, buy stuff you dont need, talk cars and get half baked. Thats what its all about....Your punishment will await you when you get home.

Originally Posted by eagleye
I have to say my wife is pretty good about going to Carlisle. This will be our 6th year and we go Friday to Sunday. She is the one who approves all the purchases so she has to go!
"She is the one who approves all the purchases so she has to go!" - WTF -

Originally Posted by asmartrguy
I would say don't bring her. Its going to be my first time also and I talked to my GF about it and when I told her what it was and what would be there she gave me a stare like what are you kidding, so Im going alone. At least I can go to he beauty contest and not fee l guilty
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

It might ruin it for you too. Go with her to Ikea when you get back home.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
hurricanejames
Instructor

My wife and I have been going to C@C for fifteen years straight and she loves it. Ofcourse, she is a real gearhead. I think you oughta give your wife the benefit of the doubt until she proves otherwise; there's alot to do at the Fairgrounds, and Carlisle the town is beautiful. There's darn near something for everybody out there, not just Corvette stuff, although that is the majority of things you'll run across. And unless she's a real stick-in-the-mud, I defy anybody to look at C@C for the first time and not be totally overwhelmed-All that fiberglass is truly an incredible sight to behold. Give her a chance, she might just come around.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

If you are driving the Vette pack some food, drink, folding chairs, stuff to tailgate, etc. There are some places to park along the fence where there is shade. If either one of you get tired or bored go back to the car and have a picnic. There is nothing wrong with taking a break during the day. Sometimes I just enjoy camping behind my car with a cold adult beverage and watching the Vette Nation walk by. You'll never see everything in one day if that is your goal. Have a safe trip!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanejames
My wife and I have been going to C@C for fifteen years straight and she loves it. Ofcourse, she is a real gearhead. I think you oughta give your wife the benefit of the doubt until she proves otherwise; there's alot to do at the Fairgrounds, and Carlisle the town is beautiful. There's darn near something for everybody out there, not just Corvette stuff, although that is the majority of things you'll run across. And unless she's a real stick-in-the-mud, I defy anybody to look at C@C for the first time and not be totally overwhelmed-All that fiberglass is truly an incredible sight to behold. Give her a chance, she might just come around.
Yeah, I agree wit chew man, all this here women bashing is gotta stop.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

there are 2 basic types of s/o gigs that make it to an event like this.

one is where the 2 are truly partners, and there's a shared level of joy in the process of it all. this is idealistic and more hopeful than reality, there are few out there like that. marvelous for them.

the other is the where there's the friction factor. but the guy brings the girl anyway because either he's a whipped pantload and can't show up somehwere without having his girl hold him upright......or she's wary of his spending on cars or car parts and has to be there to control the situation. either way, he's a loser because he's submitted to being controlled.

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle newbie bringing the wife along

Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
ogres84
Instructor

Then I'm one of the fortunate few, my wife can't wait to get there. She's forver looking for car shows where the Vettes will be in the spotlight. Yeah, she'll be off shopping for shirts and whatever that I'll probably never wear, but she enjoys being at these events.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
1990Redcoupe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Thanks for the responses and the advice. I had lunch with my wife today and told her what everyone said. I gave her the option of backing out but she says she still wants to go and that she thinks it will be fun. You have to give her credit for trying. I will have a couple lawn chairs and a cooler in the car and we will be there early enough to hopefully get a decent parking spot.

When we get back I will followup this post with the results of our trip.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Wow! Thanks for the responses and the advice. I had lunch with my wife today and told her what everyone said. I gave her the option of backing out but she says she still wants to go and that she thinks it will be fun. You have to give her credit for trying. I will have a couple lawn chairs and a cooler in the car and we will be there early enough to hopefully get a decent parking spot.

When we get back I will followup this post with the results of our trip.
Take a tent or something for shade.

Quick Reply: Carlisle newbie bringing the wife along