Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Painting the front bumper - on or off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Painting the front bumper - on or off the car?

Well I've decided I'm going to have my front bumper repainted, and have gotten estimates from a couple different shops. The first shop said they would paint the bumper on the car for about $400. The second shop said they wouldn't do it on the car, and to do it right would pull it, strip it and paint it for about $1000, it would also be warrantied.

Both of these are Corvette body shops and would do a good job. My question is does the bumper have to be removed in order to get a good paint job? It's about 6 hours labor to pull it and I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1
Well I've decided I'm going to have my front bumper repainted, and have gotten estimates from a couple different shops. The first shop said they would paint the bumper on the car for about $400. The second shop said they wouldn't do it on the car, and to do it right would pull it, strip it and paint it for about $1000, it would also be warrantied.

Both of these are Corvette body shops and would do a good job. My question is does the bumper have to be removed in order to get a good paint job? It's about 6 hours labor to pull it and I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it?
Have it removed and get the fog lights and side lights lens cleaned while you are there (heres your once in a lifetime opportunity!!!). Dont forget this is a two stage paint process as bodyshops love to forget to put the black back on around the lights. Just my HO.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 08-09-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Off the vehicle
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
1quik91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any shop should warranty the work bumper on or off, if not I would run not walk away. The good thing, there is a definite seam around the bumper to mask off. I pulled mine off, but I was changing colors and I wanted to change out the fog lites. It would have been difficult to spray underneath and adequately cover all the small nooks and cranneys in the bumper and then sand/buff, without hoisting the car in the air. You need to decide if the extra $600 is worth it. Then if you decide to change out the lights, there's another couple of hundred.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1
It's about 6 hours labor to pull it and I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it?
What? I think it took me less than hour 2 weeks ago and I was doing it for the first time. There is just a bunch of screws to remove and then it lifts off.

And yes you need to remove it if you want it to end up good. Otherwise they wont get paint into the seams and paint will eventually start cracking from there.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
nickyg
Instructor

I just got an estimate to paint the front bumper and hood. A quality shop that does everything from daily drivers to Ferrari's, Maserati's & BMW's. He's warrentying the paint job and YES the nose has to come off in order for him to do the job right.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, off the car would make it look much better. It can be done on the car, but the results will be less than par.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by nickyg
I just got an estimate to paint the front bumper and hood. A quality shop that does everything from daily drivers to Ferrari's, Maserati's & BMW's. He's warrentying the paint job and YES the nose has to come off in order for him to do the job right.
What did they quote you to paint the front bumper? I think the general consensus is that it needs to be painted off the car, which is what I'm going to do. $1000 seems high though for just a front bumper.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bumper on.

Folks, Two weeks ago I painted my bumper, repaired a broken Greenwood front spoiler and painted the same with dupont Chromabase, and clear coat. I am almost 70 years old and have more than 50 years experiance. I started working full time in a body shop in 1955. I fixed the spoiler and did the paint work " ON THE CAR ". It made a perfect place to work on the parts. I jacked up the front end to make it easy to get at the repair, sand, prime, and do the paint work. Wether someone else would do it the same is irrelevent. This is how I did the job and it turned out just fine. I was able to mask off the lights and everything else without any problem,s. If you want to have the parts removed that is your call. Then the parts must be re-installed, hopefuly without scratching or damaging the parts, sometimes that is not a easy thing to do. So it can be done both ways. By the way the materials from the supply house cost me $208.00. But to be honest I have enough materials to do some more work. I used about half of what I bought. Good luck on your repair. Allentown Ernie.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Default Bumper on.

Folks, just want to add something else. there is no need to sand,and buff after painting that small job. When finished, this small job should look just fine after the clearcoat. It should look as the paint is as "new" from G.M. Allentown Ernie.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Allentown Ernie
Folks, Two weeks ago I painted my bumper, repaired a broken Greenwood front spoiler and painted the same with dupont Chromabase, and clear coat. I am almost 70 years old and have more than 50 years experiance. I started working full time in a body shop in 1955. I fixed the spoiler and did the paint work " ON THE CAR ". It made a perfect place to work on the parts. I jacked up the front end to make it easy to get at the repair, sand, prime, and do the paint work. Wether someone else would do it the same is irrelevent. This is how I did the job and it turned out just fine. I was able to mask off the lights and everything else without any problem,s. If you want to have the parts removed that is your call. Then the parts must be re-installed, hopefuly without scratching or damaging the parts, sometimes that is not a easy thing to do. So it can be done both ways. By the way the materials from the supply house cost me $208.00. But to be honest I have enough materials to do some more work. I used about half of what I bought. Good luck on your repair. Allentown Ernie.
Having "been there and done that" myself I more than 100% agree with Allentown Ernie. Mine came out right! But, spend your time and money as you see fit.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
c4fool
Racer

I pulled mine off cause I had to strip it I preped it and srayed the base coat off the car put it back on to stripe and clear coat. Just what I did.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Flyboy. . .did you check on our local forum? I think you'll get a good recommendation there.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leftoverture
Flyboy. . .did you check on our local forum? I think you'll get a good recommendation there.
Yup I did, and checked out both of the shops that were recommended. I might get one more estimate before making a decision
Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

I've rebuilt many a Corvette and I've never taken a part off to paint it
Never worked in a body shop that did. But the single car experts will swear that you can't do it that way.
Started in a body shop in 1969.

Last edited by redwing76; 08-09-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

Originally Posted by Allentown Ernie
Ernie I'd like to pick your brain for a few questions.
Can I pm you,thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by redwing76
I've rebuilt many a Corvette and I've never taken a part off to paint it
Never worked in a body shop that did. But the single car experts will swear that you can't do it that way.
Started in a body shop in 1969.
Red,this is not meant to be personal...but I believe It depends on the Corvette or car in question...when I bought my 86 someone had repainted the top half of the car above the molding lines,and redid the bumpers,since the clear was flaking off.

Guess what?The shop got overspray on the fog lights and I could see where paint did not fully get inside the lamp openings on the inside of the bumper openings.The front of the hood had overspray in the cracks that didnt look normal.Also,There were tape lines around the keyholes,window seals,door mirrors,and door handles.

That being said,Why anyone would try and paint these type of Cars,bodies,especially bumpers on the car?Its just a shortcut and will have overspray on places you dont want it at,and wont have complete coverage.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting the front bumper - on or off the car?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 AM
KY Vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine painted for just under $300, and the guy did a great job. Perfect color match on an Admiral Blue.
It wasn't two months before I hit something and screwed up the driver's side front corner. Damn these front ends are longer than you think!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

off car.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Default To Gimmesome.

Sure, anytime. Allentown Ernie.

Quick Reply: Painting the front bumper - on or off the car?