Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dealer refused to fix factory recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:59 PM
braktrcr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recall states only replace if not working properly, but it also states "for the life of the car" I am getting 1 replaced on wed on my 89
I'm not sure if they replace the whole unit or just the retarctor part, but will let everyone know if they are interested It supposedly comes from putting the seat belt on when the car is in motion

Craig the new guy
Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Gary R
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pettvette
According to NHTSA the recall was only for 1991 Corvettes built before Nov. of 1990....Here is a link to the actual recall notice on file with NHTSA....

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...-91V143-NN.PDF
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just drop my effort to get new seat belts. It plainly states that they are not to be replaced if they are working correctly. I'll keep an copy of this because it says that the recall is for the life of the car. If mine start acting up, I should be able to get them replaced.

Gary
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not be in a hurry to have some 10$ an hour mechanic, work on my vette, strip the bolts, crack the plastic !!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 555 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by pettvette
According to NHTSA the recall was only for 1991 Corvettes built before Nov. of 1990....Here is a link to the actual recall notice on file with NHTSA....

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...-91V143-NN.PDF
your link says 84-89
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
A dealer here brought the seat belt recall to my attention in '03
or '04, long after the Issue Date (stated above as 1991). If they
hadn't mentioned it, I would have been none the wiser.

They ordered replacement belts for my '89, notified me when the
parts arrived and scheduled an appointment. The parts and labour
were provided at no charge to me.

My existing belts were cosmetically fine and appeared to be in good
working order, aside from an occasional issue where the driver's
side was difficult to retract.

My dealer it the same to my car. I wouldn't ever known about it, unless they brought it up. Mind has far has I know was working fine at the time of replacement.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
I really don't believe a dealer is obligated to fix a recall issue with a 17 year old car. A lot of the parts are not available anymore.

That's true, but this recall is actually from 1991 right? It's not like the recall was just issued. Once the recall is issued, you don't have an unlimited time to get it into the dealer for repair.
Your info and understanding of Safety recalls is incorrect. Yes, the dealer is an independent business and they don't have to do the repair, but GM is obligated to pay for the repair or face a stiff penalty. If the dealership refuses, then they will hear about it from GM. Read the recall, it clearly states that if the problem is not adeqautely repaired within 60 days after the vehicle is submitted to the dealer, "...the owner may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation." This recall exists for "the life of the vehicle."

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Although the dealership was well within their legal right to decline, I beleive GM has a goodwill policy that extends beyond the 8 years. (Statute of Limitations on vehicle recalls is 8 yrs after date of issue, this one was issued in 09/04/1991, so your legal right to a free repair ran out 09/04/1999, but I would still try different dealerships and talk to the factory rep.)
Where did you get the idea that there is an 8 yaer limitation on Safety recalls? Almost all Safety recalls are for the life of the vehicle. This is an NHSTA safety recall and like all NHSTA safety recalls that I have seen, this one has no such limitation. As the document and recall notice clearly state, this is for the life of the vehicle and NHTSA provides for a stiff penalty if the repair is not done within 60 days of being submitted to a dealership.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Mike_88Z51
Your info and understanding of Safety recalls is incorrect. Yes, the dealer is an independent business and they don't have to do the repair, but GM is obligated to pay for the repair or face a stiff penalty. If the dealership refuses, then they will hear about it from GM. Read the recall, it clearly states that if the problem is not adeqautely repaired within 60 days after the vehicle is submitted to the dealer, "...the owner may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation." This recall exists for "the life of the vehicle."
My understanding might be wrong. Let me ask this though. What happens when a part is no longer available? Is GM obligated to gear up production and make more? Once the parts supply dries up, I don't think they will be making more.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.

It all depends on the NHTSA ruling for that component. If GM was obligated to replace the parts, they have options. One option is to save enough of the original production on the side to repair all affected vehicles. The other is to buy from another manufacturer. The recall referenced in this thread states that GM would be setting aside parts specifically for this purpose. It also says that if the owner had the belts replaced on their own dime, that GM would reimburse them. If GM no longer has the parts available, it appears from their own language, they will be required to obtain the parts in some way and do the work.

I just got off the phone with GM Customer Service. If your Vette qualifies under the recall and the belts are defective, they will pay to have the belts replaced and the work done. They don't gaurantee that the color available will match my interior, but they will replace my passenger side for sure, as it has the problem listed in the recall.

Many recalls are limited in time, but Safety Recalls mandated by the NHTSA are usually written in stone. If the NHTSA deemed that the part was defective at the time of manufacture, and it presents a clear potential for loss of life, the recall lasts until the part is replaced.

This may seem harsh on manufacturers, but the part was in effect defective prior to the sale, so the manufacturer is responsible for selling defective merchandise. It also is an "out" for the manufacturer. If an owner is notified that GM will fix the problem for no charge and they don't get it done, then they have little standing if trying to sue GM later. One wrongfull death suit costs well over $1 million dollars with lawyers fees. You can store and repair a lot of seatbelts for that kind of money.

In CA and many (if not most) other states, if you cannot get some safety related replacement parts for your vehicle, then you cannot drive that vehicle on the roads anymore. If your seatbelts jam and you cannot use them, then you would get a $100 ticket here. If you tell the cop that it is due to a fault of the belts, you get a fix-it ticket and will have to prove that you have repaired the belts before you are legally able to operate that vehicle. If you can't get a suitable replacement and bring it to CHP for verification, they will not renew your registration.

Last edited by Mike_88Z51; 08-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by corvettedan22
I would not be in a hurry to have some 10$ an hour mechanic, work on my vette, strip the bolts, crack the plastic !!!!
Why not? The mechanic has to depend on $5/hr government workers to deliver many of the basic services we enjoy today...talk about risky.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by Joslinm
your link says 84-89
In the summary it includes early 1991 models......
Old 09-21-2007, 01:52 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
A dealer here brought the seat belt recall to my attention in '03
or '04, long after the Issue Date (stated above as 1991). If they
hadn't mentioned it, I would have been none the wiser.

They ordered replacement belts for my '89, notified me when the
parts arrived and scheduled an appointment. The parts and labour
were provided at no charge to me.

My existing belts were cosmetically fine and appeared to be in good
working order, aside from an occasional issue where the driver's
side was difficult to retract.

Was there a recall for 89? My seat belt gets hung all the time. I can't extend it, but I can retract it. It will hang up like that while I'm driving down the road getting tighter and tighter. I have to shove the metal part of the belt as far as I can in the hole to be able to extend it when it does this.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm glad to see this thread....the drivers belt in my '91 won't budge now....in or out...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess my 89 does have a recall. My interior is black, though the dealer said he can only get red and smoke gray.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is what I don't understand that I didn't see after all these replies....

ITS A SEAT BELT ISSUE!

Why would it have to be broken to warrant a replacement? Seems to me that the only time it would find out about failure is if you were in an accident... and by then it's too late.

it's not like it's a "broken blinker recall" or a "side view mirror motor recall" or something...

Seatbelts are a safety issue!

I can't believe they didn't even just give you a set to do yourself at the very least!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
I really don't believe a dealer is obligated to fix a recall issue with a 17 year old car. A lot of the parts are not available anymore.

But sometimes you can find a dealer that at least tries to work with you. So, maybe another dealer will help. Worth a try, but don't get too upset if you get the same response. I bey they'd be more than happy to put you in a new C6 though.
by law a saftey or emission recall can never expire
Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GIJoe

ITS A SEAT BELT ISSUE!

Why would it have to be broken to warrant a replacement? Seems to me that the only time it would find out about failure is if you were in an accident... and by then it's too late.

it's not like it's a "broken blinker recall" or a "side view mirror motor recall" or something...

Seatbelts are a safety issue!

I can't believe they didn't even just give you a set to do yourself at the very least!

Think about it... the dealer gives you a safety related part knowing nothing about your level of expertise, you install it incorrectly and then become injured in an accident. Lawyers, liability, pain and suffering, get the picture?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

As toptechx6 said, if the dealers let the owners do the work, they cannot certify that it got done correctly or even done at all. That would open them to additional lawsuits.

Originally Posted by GIJoe

ITS A SEAT BELT ISSUE!

You need to read the Recall notice. The issue isn't about the seatbelts failing during an accident. The ability of the belts to restrain people isn't in question. This is a potential "user choice" error caused by incorrect retractor operation. The internal retractors can jam or stick and the seatbelt will not pull out or retract properly. This has the potential to cause the driver/passenger to avoid using the seatbelt and put themselves at risk if there is an accident. The NHSTC recall only requires GM to replace individual belts that clearly demonstrate this specific problem.

There are 2 recalls, 1 for each side. If only one side has the retractor problem, then GM is only required to replace that one side. The fact that GM and the dealers are replacing belts as a set is actually more than they are legally required to do.

Quick Reply: Dealer refused to fix factory recall