C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Road trip questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road trip questions

I'll be taking a 1400 mile road trip in august. I'll be leaving Rapid City SD. stopping in Omaha to visit relatives, then on to Bowling Green so the vette can visit the factory and museum, then home to Alabama.

Got the car prepped, tune up, new hoses and belt, etc. I'll be packing a basic tool kit AND the FSM, just in case. Any ideas on any specialized tools or parts I should pack along? (other than my dads workshop )

I've been looking into a bra for the front of the vette (84 coupe, black/saddle) to protect it. Thought of the clear bra but not available localy. Any thoughts or advice on what to look for or, more important, what to avoid when considering a car bra? I've used the search function but didn't find anything.

I have the acrylic targa top, it can act like a solar collector on a hot sunny day. Been looking for some sort of insert to apply on the inside or even spend the bucks and find a used solid fibregass unit. Looked at Ecklers and Madvet already. They both have a static cling thingy. I was wondering if the headliner fron a solid top would fit. Other ideas?

On a similar line of thought, I was considering having the side and rear windows tinted to help keep the car cool. (what would the NCRS judges have to say about that? )

I plan on taking my time and enjoying the car as much as I can. I plan on taking my laptop and if I have time might start a "road trip diary" type of thread when I go. I also consider the laptop as a tool to use if I brake down along the way. I think I can count on CF members for advice and help.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Wouldn't hurt to change the fluids before a trip; oil, tranny (if it's been a while) and also the air and fuel filter (if it's been a while).

Keep a gallon of water with you and a quart of oil. It's also a good idea to keep a set of belts with you. Most people, when they change belts, is to put the old belt in the trunk, so if your belt lets go, you have a replacement if you're somewhere where you cannot get one - like on a lone, long deserted highway during a 1400 mile trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AAA card and a cell phone with a cigarette lighter charger.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

This almost goes without saying but.... the only time I cared about the spare tire pressure was when I was on a long trip; with C4's it's easy to forget to ever check that tire. Mine was at 14 lbs when I took it out.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
batwing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring a tuna sandwich and some fruit. Clean underware is always a good idea and don't talk to strangers. Keep both hands on the steering wheel. Make sure you signal when changing lanes. A bra is good if the car is an automatic or you could put a thong on the rear quater panels. I hope I have helped....that's what we are here for????
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget a hand gun, .38 or larger, with hollow points. A Walther PPKS .380 makes a good companion when you're on the road.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
batwing
Burning Brakes

Walther does not have enough stopping power. Now a kimber 45 with hollow points should get the job done...See the thread about concealment in a C4!!!!

Last edited by batwing; 07-19-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: wrong key
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jrzvette
AAA card and a cell phone with a cigarette lighter charger.

Enjoy the trip.

Since I refuse to buy new cars I've always "invested" in some sort of road side assistance program AAA has been good to me. It is inexpensive, they provide nationwide coverage, good discounts, and they don't care if the problem is with "my" car or any other car I'm in. Plus on New Years they tow your car home for you! Can't beat that.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
ballertyped
Instructor

Cell phone serpintine belt and you are G T G...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

As others have noted, cell phone and AAA card. A leatherman and small flashlight is a good idea also.

Re: bras -- I don't like 'em. If you get any dirt under one, it'll scratch the paint if the bra moves around. The clear bra is a good compromise (it's on my coupe, and works well) if you can find somebody to put it on for you.

Mid America sells an insert panel for your tinted targa top. I'm considering one myself. Stock number 612-743. I'm presently using the perforated cling shade.

I don't like tinted windows because the interfere with nighttime visibility. Cops also hate 'em, and I don't like to annoy cops. I use two shades similar to this:

http://www.linktotheweb.com/06auto/windshield_shade.htm

I use one of them in the driver's door window and driver's side of the windshield, and the other for the passenger's door window and passenger's side of the windshield. I pull the cargo shade forward and lay a white towel across it to reflect the sun.

Take your camera, with plenty of memory, and shoot a million photos. Keep a trip log too, if you like. Definitely, whatever you do, try to relax and enjoy the adventure. C4s are great road cars. I've driven both of mine to Key West, as well as many other places. My ragtop's been in at least ten different states since I've owned it, and it'll be going to New Hampshire and Maine on a club cruise in September.

Be well,

SJW
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2HIP4U
Don't forget a hand gun, .38 or larger, with hollow points. A Walther PPKS .380 makes a good companion when you're on the road.

I can't believe some of you people. He asks a serious question and you answer it with a gun reply.

Here's my intelligent response - Carry a .45 Glock. Much better stopping power than a .380.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

We will also be making a trek to BG to see the factory and museum this fall and kinda like you will be making several side trips on both the trip to BG and return trip. About a month ago I got a GPS unit to help us find how to get to friends, relatives, lodging & places of interest that we might want to add on the "spur of the moment". Since getting the unit we've been practicing a lot and I'm convinced it'll be a great helper. Best of all our total cost for the brand new GPS unit was only $149.99 + $11 S&H. It's the least costly we've ever seen and it works as well as those top 4 or 5 selling models we considered for almost twice what we paid for it. Since we got ours 2 other club members purchased units.
PM me if you are interested in more info on our GPS unit and I'll give you the link to the company/seller for this unit. Have a great trip.
I can't wait for ours to begin.

Last edited by ZRWON; 07-19-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Originally Posted by 2HIP4U

Actually a ruger P95DC, 9mm. My old army issue colt 1911 is a bit too bulky. The .380 doesn't have any stopping power. It's a gun for girly girls.

Last edited by OTS_UFN; 07-19-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Originally Posted by ZRWON
We will also be making a trek to BG to see the factory and museum this fall and kinda like you will be making several side trips on both the trip to BG and return trip. About a month ago I got a GPS unit to help us find how to get to friends, relatives, lodging & places of interest that we might want to add on the "spur of the moment". Since getting the unit we've been practicing a lot and I'm convinced it'll be a great helper. Best of all our total cost for the brand new GPS unit was only $149.99 + $11 S&H. It's the least costly we've ever seen and it works as well as those top 4 or 5 selling models we considered for almost twice what we paid for it. Since we got ours 2 other club members purchased units.
PM me if you are interested in more info on our GPS unit and I'll give you the link to the company/seller for this unit. Have a great trip.
I can't wait for ours to begin.
GPS!! Good idea. From my aviation experiance I know of a software program that loads into yer laptop and with a GPS antenna gives you whats called a "moving map" display on the screen of the computer. Don't need rand mcnally anymore
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OTS_UFN
GPS!! Good idea. From my aviation experiance I know of a software program that loads into yer laptop and with a GPS antenna gives you whats called a "moving map" display on the screen of the computer. Don't need rand mcnally anymore
OR MAPQUEST, AAA triptickets, ETC,ETC. Instead of having your trip pllan "SET IN CONCRETE" at the beginning with GPS you can easily make be adjustments should you decide to sleep in a different town, see points of interest that you would like to check out, or make a side trip to spend a few minutes with some CF member that you suddenly remember is near to your route (LOL), or,or,or... $162 for the GPS is, to me, an inexpensive freedom machine.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bring a coat.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your radiator and heater hoses. My upper radiator hose ruptured and left me stranded the 2nd week of ownership.

Get notified of new replies

To Road trip questions

Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 AM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Ball warmers, sattellite phone, bottled watter, canned food, blankets(pillow optional), black gloves, wet weather suit, and poncho.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by OTS_UFN
I'll be taking a 1400 mile road trip in august. I'll be leaving Rapid City SD. stopping in Omaha to visit relatives, then on to Bowling Green so the vette can visit the factory and museum, then home to Alabama.

Got the car prepped, tune up, new hoses and belt, etc. I'll be packing a basic tool kit AND the FSM, just in case. Any ideas on any specialized tools or parts I should pack along? (other than my dads workshop )

I've been looking into a bra for the front of the vette (84 coupe, black/saddle) to protect it. Thought of the clear bra but not available localy. Any thoughts or advice on what to look for or, more important, what to avoid when considering a car bra? I've used the search function but didn't find anything.

I have the acrylic targa top, it can act like a solar collector on a hot sunny day. Been looking for some sort of insert to apply on the inside or even spend the bucks and find a used solid fibregass unit. Looked at Ecklers and Madvet already. They both have a static cling thingy. I was wondering if the headliner fron a solid top would fit. Other ideas?

On a similar line of thought, I was considering having the side and rear windows tinted to help keep the car cool. (what would the NCRS judges have to say about that? )

I plan on taking my time and enjoying the car as much as I can. I plan on taking my laptop and if I have time might start a "road trip diary" type of thread when I go. I also consider the laptop as a tool to use if I brake down along the way. I think I can count on CF members for advice and help.
besides some basic tools, i carry a roll of duct tape, a roll of electrical tape, .020 s/s safety wire, and a small flashlight. the static cling thingy is not a bad idea. as far as the tinted windows, i really dont care for them, and I SURE AS HELL WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT THE NCRS JUDGES THINK as far as a bra, again, i don't care for them. as long as you have a fresh oil change, belts and hoses are in good shape, as well as trans fluid, cooling system, etc, and you carry a cell phone and AAA card, you're a go. enjoy the ride!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Wear protection. Most accidents happen at home but sometimes on the road in strange motels.
Seriously, have a great time and get back to us with the details and plenty of pics!

Quick Reply: Road trip questions