C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

new emblems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
acinco51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new emblems

hi, just bought new emblems for my 85. replaced the gas door one, but how do i get the hood emblem off? is it just glued on or bolted on?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/c...badge_install/

Use tape to keep the retaining nut onto your socket when you install, or you'll drop it in inside the hood and won't be able to get it out. Have someone on the other side push the emblem against the hood while you do this. Don't overtighten. Just untill the emblem sits flush with the hood.

Don't run your hood emblem without the retaining nuts, unless you want your emblem to fly off on the freeway and smack your windshield.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
acinco51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks 86pacer
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my 87 s' front emblem replaced today. I decided to go to a Body Shop near my home because I could not feel any retaining nuts...I tried heating it and flossing the thing to loosen...no luck. I did nt want to take a chance ruining the paint so It cost me $45..but well worth it. It was glued on and the pins were just pushed thru tightly...no lock nuts as I suspected. They said it was not the original Emblem so whatever shop put it on did not use retaining nuts...just glue. The Body shop did compound and polish the nose afterward as a courtesy so I dont mind laying down the $$. The Gas emblem was easy... That took all of 10 minutes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced both also, I believe it was a 10mm socket for both. Put the hood up sit on a tire and have someone hold the emblem(hood) try to feel the socket thru the 2 holes under the hood and take the nuts off, if the emblem doesn't come right off heat it with a hair dryer it should loosen right up, if you drop the nuts you can retrieve with a wiremagnet, thats what I did. You will need someone to hold the emblem on other side when you put the new one on. Don't overtighten.

Last edited by 91quasarblue; 07-11-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 91quasarblue
if you drop them you can retrieve with a wiremagnet, thats what I did.
I still could not get one out like that. The magnet would stick to the walls. It was easier to just go buy a new one from the dealer. They guy just gave me it for free.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86PACER
I still could not get one out like that. The magnet would stick to the walls. It was easier to just go buy a new one from the dealer. They guy just gave me it for free.
I thought the hood was fiberglass I was able to get the nuts and I dropped both of them.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 91quasarblue
I thought the hood was fiberglass I was able to get the nuts and I dropped both of them.
The part where the hole is, is metal.

Get notified of new replies

To new emblems

Quick Reply: new emblems