Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Are c5's really that more refined?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 AM
redaz94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are c5's really that more refined?

I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I want to talk about my 2 c5 driving experiences.

First off, I believe all vettes are awesome. But I have had a few c5 owners talk about the superiority of there cars over the C4.

I have driven a 1997 and now a 2002 vette. To me, the power felt very similiar as well as the handling. I went on a 200 mile cruise with the 2002, and at times hit the gas at a couple of stop lights and were neck and neck the whole way up tp 90mph or so. I asked my friend with the 02 what he thought of mine after driving it and he felt that it had just as much power as his did, but he liked the way my tranny shifted better. The only mods I have on my 1994 lt1 are K and N filter, crane roller rockers, and magnaflow mufflers.
The 1997 I drrove felt the same also. And the driver of that car also commented that my car had the same amount of power.

Like I said, they are all nice in their own right.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope that C5's were made to be superior over the C4's. Just like C6's is the man of the family. C5's have 45 (345hp) more stock hp than the later C4's 92-96. I love both but wouldn't trade my 4 for a 5 and would love to have a 5, to compliment my foe.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by slicked25
I hope that C5's were made to be superior over the C4's. Just like C6's is the man of the family. C5's have 45 (345hp) more stock hp than the later C4's 92-96. I love both but wouldn't trade my 4 for a 5 and would love to have a 5, to compliment my foe.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get in and drive both a C4 and a C5, close your eyes, and you won't be able to tell the difference. The LTx motors are more rev-happy than the L-98's, and the HP numbers (well, at least Stock) are better. The L-98's win in the torque department though. Also the earlier C4's have a nice weight advantage.

I personally prefer the seating in the C4 and the view over the hood - more reminiscent of the C3 IMHO (I still miss the '69 454 car I had for a bit, I guess..). The C5 has more room in the footwells (tranny in the back of the car, afterall) and is a bit less "claustrophobic" overall - but the real big improvement There was from the C3 to C4 model change.

I still haven't actually Driven a C6 - I would like to think that the general has finally improved the wind/road noise and sealing issues that have been a 'vette tradition since day one - but I somehow doubt it...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say refined but more so a difference. They feel different when you drive them and they handle different as well. I do feel that the C4 feels more like a sports car but that could be because the C5 just feels so damn smooth. If anything it may feel too refined. As for power, the C5 has more and you can feel it right away. All said, they are both corvettes and I love them both. I'll be adding a C6 to the group pretty soon but just can't decide if I want to wait for an 08 or else get a good deal on an 06 or 07. With time comes progression and you have to go with the flow. You just have to realize that there are things that you like about each different one. I love the way the C4 feels when I drive it. It feels like it is on rails. The C5 is nice too but it just feels too comfortable if you know what I mean. I think that the Corvettes are being built too refined in fact.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the days of the adventurous gearhead hotrodder with nads are almost gone.

the LS7 power with an automatic behind it goes to rich fat old men that made it big in the stock market, who drive it to dairy queen down the road once every sunday, not daring to exceed the speed limit. and waxing it 3 times a week, covering it in their beloved heated garages.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
the days of the adventurous gearhead hotrodder with nads are almost gone.

the LS7 power with an automatic behind it goes to rich fat old men that made it big in the stock market, who drive it to dairy queen down the road once every sunday, not daring to exceed the speed limit. and waxing it 3 times a week, covering it in their beloved heated garages.
The LS7 comes with an automatic behind it????????
Old 06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
The LS7 comes with an automatic behind it????????
another point, buried in. the old man customer would have it somehow special ordered from the factory, paying additional large sum of money to do it. yup, going 55mph max.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

My c5 could spank my c4 in every way.

But i do love my c4. Its not as fast but its more of a vette cruiser to me.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Are C5's really that more refined?

The question should be who would want a "refined" sports car?

If the C5's didn't have all of the creature comforts of a Lexus who would want it? Certainly not those who could afford them new.

When does a sports car become a luxury sports car? When it does it doesn't do anything, right anymore.

Climate control in a sports car? 8 way seats, 10 speakers, radar aviodence, My 63 roadster had no air, no tunes, roll up windows, etc.

It was a real sports car, long tube headers, big Holley, 4spd, Edlebrock intake, solid lifters, fuel heads and cam.

If the C4 had no power equipment on it it would be a much better car but the folks who really want a "refined" car wouldn't buy it.

Roll up windows in a late Corvette wouldn't never sell, Imagine a Corvette without air conditioning? Nobody would buy it.

My 74 cpe was a beautiful car and I had it up for sale, this car was 9 out of 10 some duffus in San Jose Ca. came to see it and said, "it doesn't have air". He walked. "It doesn't have air"?

I owned 6 Corvettes before I got one with air, which I never used.

So what are we all such wimps that we can't buy a Corvette that doesn't have air?

Gimme a break! Hot Rod called this one.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
drazmo
Advanced

so having a car with air conditioning makes you less of a man? interesting. why not take it a step further...lets take away power steering and power breaks!! a real man is strong enough to turn a steering wheel and mash on a break pedal with his own brute force!!!

while you're sweating it out trying to turn your steering wheel on a 100 degree day....i'll be cruisin' with AC cranked all the way up as I speed through the twisty back-country roads..

let's relax a little guys..
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both.

I bought my 99' 6 speed Z51 new, and I bought my 86' auto 3 years ago. I believe the 86' has a 2.59 rear gear in it.

The L98 has a very different feel from the LS1, but the LT1's I have driven feel very similar to the LS1 in terms of power delivery.

The C5 has a much bigger interior, so much so that while it is very comfortable, it almost feels like a regular car.

The C4's interior is very "man in a can" and you definitely know you are not in grandma's sedan when you are in it.

The 2 cars handle about the same ( I was surprised by this as I believe that my 86' has the base suspension). It may be that I have not tracked the 2 cars back to back and am not willing to push them to the limit on the street. The 86' is a significantly rougher ride than the 99', though.

The brakes on the 99' are far superior to the bakes in the 86'. I will be upgrading the 86' to C5 front brakes.

While I have not dug deep into the engine bay in the 99' (I have put a TPIS intake and headers on my 86'), I can say I like the LS1's packaging a lot better than the L98. Most common things seem easy to get to, the intake manifold is dry (no coolant), I can reach all the plugs, etc. The L98 is much more difficult to work on and the LS1 seems to have taken all of that into account in the design phase (as one would hope with a "ground up" redesign).

I would take either on a road trip, but the C5 would be more comfortable and offer much more storage space. Highway gas milage is similar(31-33mpg in the 99', 28-29 in the 86'), though the in town milage is consistantly better in the C5 (22mpg vs 17mpg). Both will return single digit mpg if you want them to.

The L98's low end torque combined with the auto tranny gives the 86' a lot more "slam" off the line, but the LS1's high rpm power makes it an impressive "highway demonstrator". If I want to show off the 86' I need only to find a stop light or stop sign. In the 99' I find an empty streach of highway and launch from 60mph in 3rd gear.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Are c5's really that more refined?
Naw, but their owners think they are.....
Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'd love to have a C5 as well for a daily driver, but I don't think I could give up my C4 to trade it in. I like the refinement of suspension, ride control feel and the biggest part, the newer style interior is what I want, but I also like my seats better (easy swap). So yeah... i'd take both...

i think both are equally powerful (or can be), the C5 has the obvious refinements of the newer model, but because of that loses the go kart feel that all the C4 guys like.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
LT1SPUD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with Square........i recently became a C5 owner, but kept my C4...the C5 is smoother, quieter, roomier, a bit more powerful and i find the steering a lot quicker and easier...that said, i still love the "man in a can" feel of my C4....the C4 doesn't have any squeaks or rattles so it's a nice quiet ride also.....is the C5 more refined? well yes.....it's a newer generation with newer technology....is the C4 more refined than the C3?
no question about it....at any rate, they're both great Corvettes....if you can, enjoy them both.......

Last edited by LT1SPUD; 06-19-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Stock for stock, the C5 is more refined and is an overall better performer than a C4, and no one with any ounce of intelligence can argue against that.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Are c5's really that more refined?

Yes. They are.

Larry
code5coupe

Get notified of new replies

To Are c5's really that more refined?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by redaz94
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I want to talk about my 2 c5 driving experiences.

First off, I believe all vettes are awesome. But I have had a few c5 owners talk about the superiority of there cars over the C4.

I have driven a 1997 and now a 2002 vette. To me, the power felt very similiar as well as the handling. I went on a 200 mile cruise with the 2002, and at times hit the gas at a couple of stop lights and were neck and neck the whole way up tp 90mph or so. I asked my friend with the 02 what he thought of mine after driving it and he felt that it had just as much power as his did, but he liked the way my tranny shifted better. The only mods I have on my 1994 lt1 are K and N filter, crane roller rockers, and magnaflow mufflers.
The 1997 I drrove felt the same also. And the driver of that car also commented that my car had the same amount of power.

Like I said, they are all nice in their own right.

the c5 is more refined than the C4....PERIOD!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM
slarson
Instructor

Way more refined, not better just more refined.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM
jughead1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LT1SPUD
i agree with Square........i recently became a C5 owner, but kept my C4...the C5 is smoother, quieter, roomier, a bit more powerful and i find the steering a lot quicker and easier...that said, i still love the "man in a can" feel of my C4....the C4 doesn't have any squeaks or rattles so it's a nice quiet ride also.....is the C5 more refined? well yes.....it's a newer generation with newer technology....is the C4 more refined than the C3?
no question about it....at any rate, they're both great Corvettes....if you can, enjoy them both.......

The statement above sums it up perfectly. I still own C4s and a C5 so I feel I can judge them fairly and each for what it WAS. The best at the time they were made but...time and technology move on. Hell...my C5 ain't the best any more and I can live with that. When I can't...I'll buy whatever generation is the latest at that time.

Anyone that thinks air conditioning has no place in a Vette never lived in the Houston area and was stuck daily in stop and go traffic with 95+ degree temperature and 80% humidity. That is the reality of our summers here. We don't all live in California so our needs may just be different.

Last edited by jughead1; 06-19-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Are c5's really that more refined?