C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

WILL IT FIT? '88 Dana 44 into '86

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Thunder Kiss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WILL IT FIT? '88 Dana 44 into '86

Will a Dana 44 out of a manual 1988 coupe bolt straight into my auto 1986 coupe?
I know the wheel offsets are different, that's why I ask.
Will my '86 half shafts work without modification?
How about my driveshaft?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Kiss
Will a Dana 44 out of a manual 1988 coupe bolt straight into my auto 1986 coupe?
I know the wheel offsets are different, that's why I ask.
Will my '86 half shafts work without modification?
How about my driveshaft?
The rear is a direct bolt in. Simply swap out the center section and batwing, driveshaft and c-beam. The bolt holes that go though the lower camber bracket mount will need to be drilled slightly larger and you will need the 4 88 bolts and nuts.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:21 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
The rear is a direct bolt in. Simply swap out the center section and batwing, driveshaft and c-beam. The bolt holes that go though the lower camber bracket mount will need to be drilled slightly larger and you will need the 4 88 bolts and nuts.

Skidownit wrote a great article on the swap https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=218&TopicID=2
Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Pete K
Don't you mean his camber brackets themselves must be drilled? If he were swapping an early rear into a later car then yes, the mounting holes in the housing itself would have to be enlarged. In his case, the reverse is true. The holes in his camber brackets must be enlarged to the later bolt and hole size.
Oh, and you'll need to put your A4 transmission yoke on the D44 driveshaft. The difference in early and late track widths comes from the early/late rear knuckle and wheel bearing assemblies. The halfshafts are the same for all years. Some folks have used the A4 driveshaft as is and report no problems. This may be true as there's for all practical purposes no for and aft movement of the driveshaft, as there would be in a more conventional rear drive car. But the D44 shaft is about an inch shorter so I would prefer to use it (and did) or recommend having your's shortened an inch just to be correct. Shortening and rebalancing a driveshaft is not really very expensive.

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 06-16-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Thunder Kiss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the quality replies.

Get notified of new replies

To WILL IT FIT? '88 Dana 44 into '86

Quick Reply: WILL IT FIT? '88 Dana 44 into '86