Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What is my actual build date

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
acinco51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same color only mine is an 85. i am looking at same wheels for mine ,was wondering how they would look. they look great on your car. think i might look into it now
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IndyVette84
Don't let people bust your stones about the '84! We aren't the fastest Vettes on the street, but how fast can you REALLY go before you crash or tick off the police.
very well put i figure its not how fast she can go, but how she handles the curves
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
eightysixcoupe
Heel & Toe

I think early C4s are one of the best looking designs ever. When the 84 came out I was a Junior in H.S. and said "I'm going to have one of those someday", it took 18 years but I finally got one!

I grew up around Vettes, my Dad is diehard Vette lover as well as my son. He currently has an '04 Commem. Vert but looks back on his 86 Z51 4+3 as one of his favorite cars. I found this site when I picked up my 86 in '03 and it's helped answer a lot of questions.

I think your car is sharp, screw those guys over at GM Modern Muscle. Before clicking "submit" to this thread I had to jump over to GM Modern Muscle. Were they rough on you or what ? You post pics of your new ride, which looks awesome for a 23 year old car and they totally ream you ! What a bunch of D-Bags. Those A-Holes are just jealous because their F Body cars all want to be Vettes when they grow up. Unfortunately all the money they dump in is wasted because those cars will never be or look as good as a Vette. Late model Firebirds and Camaros are pretty ugly, 1981 was the last good looking Camaro and Firebird in my opinion.

Most of those goons seem to be hopping up Metros, Geos, and Fieros...It's sad that GM's #2 cars are what they aspire to own. I wanted to puke when I saw what most of those guys are driving.

I love all Vettes, and I think most here will echo that statement. This forum is a great community of guys that are happy to answer questions without ragging on you.

Good luck with your new toy.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 AM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

Default They do look good ( Once you get them on )

----To those guys that complimented my car-->eightysixcoupe, ZfidyONE-84, 96polovette, IndyVette84
I give you a

You should sign up on that website ( Because I can always use the support of other vette owners that appreciate an early C4 (Like mine)) It would be a good place for you to vent your frustrations on these Butt-nuggets...it would literally stun them to see that I have a circle of friend which they are very anxious to crush me under their foot (I'm under the name The_Nemesis_ZR2) Thanks to those that gave great comments on the car( Just reading them gave me a lift ) you guys ROCK!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96polovette
Its a great looking 84 and appears to be in fine condition. I like the gold paint and the crossfire engine a lot. It chanels air through the hood, it is the only year of C4 configured with that novel intake system. The engine compartment appears less cluttered without the airbox and intake up front. It is interesting they abandoned that configuration after only 1 year of production. I've always wanted a very early 84 model Z51 to go with my 96. If I could afford another corvette I may have bought yours when it was on ebay. One of the first things I would have done if I bought it would have been to determine whether the Z51 suspension components are original. It is hard to find an 84 Z51 that hasn't been softened or modified in the supension at some point. Don't let what anyone says about the 84 being inferior get to you, there is more to a great car than horsepower.
Heres the kicker when i bought it All of the z-51 components were replaced with new parts The only thing i need is a pair of 275's for the front and get my 13" drilled rotors on the car with my Grand Sport calipers
Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

HAve you ever dynoed your c4 ( i havent and those ingrates @ gm modern muscle think my C4 will put 99 hp @ the wheels if any of you guys with an '84 Cross-fire have their dyno numbers pass them to me I'd like to see what the result are
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Just for curiosity, what does the federal sticker on the drivers door show for a date? Actually, I think the 520 is the build sequence. And being a Nebr. native, I can't believe ANYBODY from Bellevue would talk trash to anybody about anything.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Just for curiosity, what does the federal sticker on the drivers door show for a date? Actually, I think the 520 is the build sequence. And being a Nebr. native, I can't believe ANYBODY from Bellevue would talk trash to anybody about anything.
its all worn down and hard to read--and that is the number of the car according to the 2nd owner the build sheet says #00521

Go to the website-- there is a never-ending trash talk session happening now--Sign up as a member and start in on how crappy
Jays new car looks
Tell them that you have dynoed my C4 yourself and the numbers were pretty impressive ( you may have to fudge the numbers or find someone that had their cross-fire C4 on the dyno ( they think the HP is 115 ) I think its 240hp Back up my numbers as 240 hp - get a few guys to sign up and start in on the trashing of their cars ( it would help me out ) and they might back off if they saw that i actually had a circle of friends
Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Its all faded but it looks to say 02/83
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
its all worn down and hard to read--and that is the number of the car according to the 2nd owner the build sheet says #00521
Yes - it is the 521st '84 built. If the door sticker reads 2/83, then the car was built in February of 1983. That seems reasonable.

Go to the website-- there is a never-ending trash talk session happening now--Sign up as a member and start in on how crappy
Jays new car looks
Tell them that you have dynoed my C4 yourself and the numbers were pretty impressive ( you may have to fudge the numbers or find someone that had their cross-fire C4 on the dyno ( they think the HP is 115 ) I think its 240hp Back up my numbers as 240 hp - get a few guys to sign up and start in on the trashing of their cars ( it would help me out ) and they might back off if they saw that i actually had a circle of friends
Why do you care what those people think? It isn't like you know any of them personally - just leave 'em behind, and continue to post here where you have a more friendly bunch.

The rated HP of the '84 was 205 SAE Net. When new, it probably provided somewhere between 165 - 180 RWHP. That was sufficient to make it a very solid performing car in 1984. As long as you enjoy the performance, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, does it?

Actually, it probably won't help you over there for any of us to go over there and make up numbers for you. You're better off just leaving that site behind (just because they want to wallow in pig poop doesn't mean that you have to!).

Enjoy the car!

Steven
Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Jays new car looks
Sadly, I followed the link you posted (the second one), and it appears to me that you're acting just as screwy as the rest of the adolescents on that forum.

Did you really claim that your car dyno'ed at 370 RWHP with a stock Crossfire engine? One of your early posts over there did say that the engine was stock. If so, then it never did create that kind of power.

You later changed your number to 240 (IIRC), but then you said that someone had worked on the "upper motor", and that the dyno number came from the previous owner.

What gives? If you like your car, why are you attempting to impress a bunch of strangers? What do you care what other people think?

Steven
Old 06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

the 2nd owner told me it was rated @ 240 the engine is stock but had the upper motor bebuild (Heads) and all gaskets replaced the throtle bodies were synchcronized along with new ECM--They claim i only had the gaskets replaced It IS Quick off the line it had the TPIS ZR-1 exhaust I still have to put it on a dyno

but to assuse that it only has 115hp?? c'mon!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

the 2nd owner told me it was rated @ 240 the engine is stock
Here's your first problem - it doesn't take much to find out that the stock 1984 horsepower rating was 205, not 240. If the engine is stock, then it is reasonable to assume that the stock HP rating hasn't changed.

It doesn't help you one bit to discuss or even mention what the previous owner told you - he was trying to SELL THE CAR!!! Nobody cares what the previous owner says - you don't have any documentation, and he's an unknown (and unknowable) entity.

You'll never get any credibility anywhere by quoting claims made by a PO unless you can back them up yourself.

... but had the upper motor bebuild (Heads) and all gaskets replaced the throtle bodies were synchcronized along with new ECM--They claim i only had the gaskets replaced
Rebuilding is NOT equal to MODIFYING. Rebuild implies (as they assumed) restoration to stock performance levels. You said rebuild, and they made a very reasonable assumption that the heads are no different than they were when they came off the line in 1983.

Replacing the gaskets and matching the throttle bodies are all things you would expect to do in order to restore the engine to its original level of performance - nothing more. Replacing the ECM is also in the same category - stock performance, and not much else.

It IS Quick off the line it had the TPIS ZR-1 exhaust
Good - but unless you've measured the before and after, all you have are feelings (which are nice), but no DATA. If you've never owned a Cross Fire Corvette before, then you also don't have any camparative experience by which to judge this car. Have you measured your 0 - 60 time, or run it down the quarter mile? If so, then you could at least begin to estimate power production - if not, then you're only bench racing (which is fun, but doesn't prove anything).

No one is going to be impressed that it has TPIS exhaust - or any other exhaust. It may sound cool, but it isn't likely to result in vast amounts of previously undiscovered power.

I still have to put it on a dyno
Yes - if you want to talk facts instead of fiction, absolutely. The dyno will also give you a solid starting point if you intend to mod the engine. Don't do it just to prove something to a bunch of adolescents, though - spend your money on something else.

but to assume that it only has 115hp?? c'mon!
Actually, some poster quoted a source for that number - but unless you find that source yourself, you can't properly judge the validity of that claim. For all you or the poster knows, the cars they sampled had 250k miles on them, and were running with a plug wire removed.

If you want to argue, then argue with facts - not taunts and insults.

Go find the source, see what they say, and understand the conditions of their test, and then marshall your counter points. Alternatively, you could just hang around here and enjoy some adult company.

If you intend to go back to that forum, then act like an adult, and stop acting like an adolescent with LDS.

Steven
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
VIN_#_00521__Z-51_C4
Instructor

WiTH ALL THAT SAID I have found a place where the adult are and i ween myself off the other site where the reefer-addicts hang out I'm here to stay
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
1320video
Racer

Nutjob warning!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
93LT1Power
Advanced

Dumb question here but can you tell the date of manufacture from the VIN? Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 AM
bigbluethe84vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96polovette
Its a great looking 84 and appears to be in fine condition. I like the gold paint and the crossfire engine a lot. It chanels air through the hood, it is the only year of C4 configured with that novel intake system. The engine compartment appears less cluttered without the airbox and intake up front. It is interesting they abandoned that configuration after only 1 year of production. I've always wanted a very early 84 model Z51 to go with my 96. If I could afford another corvette I may have bought yours when it was on ebay. One of the first things I would have done if I bought it would have been to determine whether the Z51 suspension components are original. It is hard to find an 84 Z51 that hasn't been softened or modified in the supension at some point. Don't let what anyone says about the 84 being inferior get to you, there is more to a great car than horsepower.
AMEN!

Get notified of new replies

To What is my actual build date

Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93LT1Power
Dumb question here but can you tell the date of manufacture from the VIN? Thanks
GOOD QUESTION!!

I didn't know so I spent the last couple hours searching the internet.

Quick answer is NO only thing you really get is the year of manufacture. The 10th digit of the VIN gives the year, on mine it's "E" which means 1984. The last 6 digits are the production number, ranging from 100001 to 151547. At least according to the info I have. I assume all production numbers are consecuitive as they come off the line. To address the original focus of this thread it seems that you must look at ALL 6 last digits to determine where your car is in line of the "birth" process, not just the last 3 or 4.

If you want to decode your VIN, corvette action center has it in their knowledgebase.

Party on

Add on edit: Just thought of something that may be of help to buyers. The eleventh digit of the VIN indicates which plant the car was built in. In the case of my 84 and others I guess is Bowling Green, right? Plant code for bowling green is 5. Now look at your RPO codes list. You should find BGR there somewhere, I did. That also indicates the Bowling Green plant. If the 2 don't match. . . Hmmm. . . sumpin fishy goin on. Just something to be aware of when checking out a potential purchase.

Last edited by OTS_UFN; 06-20-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: mo' info
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome car! We just went to the Bowling green plant and museum in March. Had a build sheet and a window sticker generated for our 89. The lady who was in charge of all these proceedures was Betty. I bet she could answer all of these great questions!

I had most of them After we got home! Did not think to look and ask while we were there!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a guy here in Australia with an 84 that is number 00162 and he drives it every day he goes out.

There is pics of it and the VIN in this thread.
http://www.australiancorvettes.com/p...pic.php?t=1006

Quick Reply: What is my actual build date