C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Strange thing - I thought I had the VATS bug fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:32 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange thing - I thought I had the VATS bug fixed

I thought I had the VATS bug fixed when I installed a bypass module a few weeks back. I had been having trouble with the car not starting every so often so I bypassed VATS. Since then no problems, car starts everytime without fail. Except today.

I get home form work leave the car in the driveway. Go inside return to put the car in the garage and it won't start. When I turn the key I get power in the car but no start. The same that was happening before I bypassed. When it starts like it did 2 or 3 times today, it starts like a champ, real strong.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Some more info on the no-start: Does it crank, Can you hear the sel click., Check the coil., The more info on the no-start the more help can be.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

No click No crank. No sound at all. I get power but no start.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unplug the clutch safety switch (gear selector sw if automatic, at the base of the gear shift lever) and jump the connector. Measure the voltage on the jumper and hit crank, if you have 12v but no crank, you have a starter problem, if no 12 v you could have a start enable relay problem. You can jump 12v to the jumper and the starter should crank.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4 TECH/PERF
BILLYSGREEN 94 on may 20th.
could be starter enable relay-easy fix if it is.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Update.

I haven't had a chance to dig in yet but when I did try to start it today (it didn't) I heard a whirring kinda sound when I turned the key.

DOn't know if that makes a differnce to your suggestions or not.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 92LRC
No click No crank. No sound at all. I get power but no start.

Thanks
Does the "security" light stay lit when you turn on the ignition?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteUSA
Does the "security" light stay lit when you turn on the ignition?
NO, I bypassed the VATS ignition switch.

You think it could be the door lock?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by staugur
C4 TECH/PERF
BILLYSGREEN 94 on may 20th.
could be starter enable relay-easy fix if it is.
Cheap & easy relay to replace. When I replaced my lock cylinder I did it as well. Never had another VATS problem.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I thought I had the VATS bug fixed when I installed a bypass module a few weeks back. I had been having trouble with the car not starting every so often so I bypassed VATS. Since then no problems, car starts everytime without fail. Except today.

I get home form work leave the car in the driveway. Go inside return to put the car in the garage and it won't start. When I turn the key I get power in the car but no start. The same that was happening before I bypassed. When it starts like it did 2 or 3 times today, it starts like a champ, real strong.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be?
I had the same thing happening to me, but only when the car was hot. If the car cooled down it would start, and it was the starter seized, and when the car cooled down in about 30 minutes it would start. I changed the starter, and it never happen again. I read a complaint in CORVETTE FEVER gave me the advice to replace the starter, and they where right.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I had the same thing happening to me, but only when the car was hot. If the car cooled down it would start, and it was the starter seized, and when the car cooled down in about 30 minutes it would start. I changed the starter, and it never happen again. I read a complaint in CORVETTE FEVER gave me the advice to replace the starter, and they where right.
I'm gonna dig into it this weekend and see what I find.

The problem you had is not the same on mine. It's been cool since I pushed it into the garage last nigh and it's still not starting.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scranage
Cheap & easy relay to replace. When I replaced my lock cylinder I did it as well. Never had another VATS problem.
I'm going to look at this first. Where is the starter relay located?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

On my 87 the start enable is behind the instrument panel in the multi use center. I don't know where they are in a 92.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 PM
MORRISK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vats

Ihad the same problem. IT DROVE ME NUTS FOR ALMOST A YEAR, REPLACED ALMOST EVERYTHING, NO HELP . IT WAS THE DAMN STARTER, REPLACED IT AND NO MORE PROBLEMS.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

After bypassing my lock, I had the same issues surface a few months later.

Turns out it was the Starter Enable Relay.

It's free to bypass (clip 2 wires and tie them together) or costs $3-$16 depending on year of car for a new relay.

Check my site out for more info on this:
http://www.vatssucks.com/

I don't have any specific info on the 92, but what's there may give you somewhere to start. I have detailed info on 86-89, and someone was kind enough to send me info on the 1990 they did.

if you do any more under your dash, please take a few pics and send me what you did if you don't mind. I'd like to get a larger amount of data up to share with everyone having these issues.

I would test the starter first, just jumpero it straight to the battery. if it turns over, its "probably" good, but to not get anything at ALL I would think its something preventing the starter from even starting.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GIJoe
After bypassing my lock, I had the same issues surface a few months later.

Turns out it was the Starter Enable Relay.

It's free to bypass (clip 2 wires and tie them together) or costs $3-$16 depending on year of car for a new relay.

Check my site out for more info on this:
http://www.vatssucks.com/

I don't have any specific info on the 92, but what's there may give you somewhere to start. I have detailed info on 86-89, and someone was kind enough to send me info on the 1990 they did.

if you do any more under your dash, please take a few pics and send me what you did if you don't mind. I'd like to get a larger amount of data up to share with everyone having these issues.

I would test the starter first, just jumpero it straight to the battery. if it turns over, its "probably" good, but to not get anything at ALL I would think its something preventing the starter from even starting.
I'm tied up until Sunday but then I'll get under the dash and start looking. I'll be happy to post pictures for you to use but what's under my dash is not entirely typical. The previous owner installed an after-market radio as well as a Viper alarm.

I'm going to buy a relay and try to change that 1st. It's only about a $15 part from what I looked up on the net.

I'll let you know. Thanks Joe for your help.

Serge
Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

I replaced the starter relay and it worked. Not without scaring the S*** out of me first.

I finally found the relay plugged in the new one, re-connected the battery, and tried to start. No go. I tried again and this time it almost started, I heard the engine crank over but then POOF everything dies. I lost all power, the dahsboard is dead, the radio won't work, nothing.

I'm thinking I blew up the electrical system or at least a few fuses and the car is still not starting. I went to disconnect the battery to start working and just for the hell of it I reconnected it again. The power came back on. Everything seemed fine so I turned the key and the car fired right up. I turned it on and off a few more times to make sure then I drove it around the block a couple of times and all is good.

I'm not sure if this is indicative of bigger problems to come down the line but I have a running Vette, for now.

Thanks to all of you that suggested the starter relay. The Forum is the best, the members have been great with all of the help I've needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange thing - I thought I had the VATS bug fixed

Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

where is the relay located please
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast red 87 vette
where is the relay located please
under the display to the left of the steering wheel (as you face the steering wheel). There are 2 other relays there as well.

Look at http://www.vatssucks.com/ for a lot of good vats info

good luck
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I finally found the relay plugged in the new one, re-connected the battery, and tried to start. No go. I tried again and this time it almost started, I heard the engine crank over but then POOF everything dies. I lost all power, the dahsboard is dead, the radio won't work, nothing.
Bad battery connections? I would clean up both battery posts and terminals. Seems like it may be the cause of the problem. Then take it from there and see if it stays fixed.

Quick Reply: Strange thing - I thought I had the VATS bug fixed