Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Vette Gator
CF Senior Member

Default 6-way power seat switch removal problems

This weekend's project was to try to get the 6-way seats on my 89 vert working. I was partially successful. In spite of my initial diagnosis, a known good seat track had the same problems, so I know it's in the switches (the wires were checked and they are all OK). I took the switch assembly out of the console and it seemed like there were three switch modules plugged into a rubber holder that had the wiring attached. The end paddle switches are both stuck into this rubber holder by one post each, and no matter what I tried, I could not get them out. It looked like once I got the end ones out, the middle joystick switch would come out as well. Does anyone know the trick? With the high cost of replacement switches, I would really like to try re-building mine first.

Since I couldn't get the switches out to clean and re-condition the contacts, I sprayed TV contact cleaner inside, worked the switches, then sprayed in compressed air. Repeated a couple of more times. This got the front-back control working, which was the most important goal (according to my 5'10" wife; her 6'3" husband doesn't see the need to move the seat forward ).
Vette Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
ejscarfo
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to ejscarfo

You might be better off searching the used Vette parts vendors for a used switch. I picked up left and right switches from eBay for $50 to install into my 85 so I can have driver and passenger power seats. I've seen used switches all the time for under $40.
1985 Trans Am Auto w/LB9 & WS6
2004 Saturn VUE FWD w/5spd
2013 Honda Civic LX
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Kettsvette

Default TV Tuner Cleaner for switches

You, sir, are a genius!!! I had exactly the same problem with the forward and reverse seat switch and was not looking forward to spending the time to remove half the interior just to get at the seat switch. I tried your solution of spraying the TV Tuner Cleaner into the switch without removing it and, whalla, the seat switch worked.

Thanks for the solution to my problem.
Kettsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
ddan

I'm having a similar problem, sort of... I can only move the driver set around and the lumbar supports only work on the passenger seat. Will try the TV tuner and see if that fixes both switches, or it's tear down time to try and repair...
ddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page 6-way power seat switch removal problems

Tags
1985, 2004, 84, awd, c4, c5, corvette, power, removal, replace, replacing, saturn, seat, switch, vue