C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Radio Similarities

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 AM
VetteStir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio Similarities

I went to Spring Carisle this past weekend and noticed that if you compare a C4 stock radio (tape deck) with a C5 radio (CD player), they have the exact same mounting points and dimensions. I've been looking to get rid of my Bose system and this could potentially be a "stock look" alternative. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if all or some other GM radios will work in a C4? I'm thinking I could go salvage a CD/radio out of a newer GM truck or car from a junk yard and install it in my C4. Also, has anyone else tried this?

Last edited by 81Vettstir; 04-23-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
88 Coupe
Instructor

I do have an 88 and am not sure about all years being 1.5 DIN.
C4 Bose was a 1.5 DIN size. So as long as you get a 1.5 you should be OK. I have a Bose CD Radio from a Camaro that fits in with a GM made wiring adaptor and no cut wires. I also have a 1.5 Din CD Radio with a silver faceplate that fits right in. The mounting brackets are moveable so you can adapt to your application. This was called a "Delco Bose Silver Chevy cd player radio 90 91 92 93 94" in the auction ad.

Last edited by 88 Coupe; 04-23-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok... this is an old discussion, really.

The 1984-1989 are 1.5 DIN head units. 1990-1996 are double DIN head units.

The Bose setup changes all the rules... and the C5 head is NOT compatible with either earlier system.

Read the C4 Audio FAQ in the Audio Section for some details on this.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 81Vettstir
I went to Spring Carisle this past weekend and noticed that if you compare a C4 stock radio (tape deck) with a C5 radio (CD player), they have the exact same mounting points and dimensions. I've been looking to get rid of my Bose system and this could potentially be a "stock look" alternative. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if all or some other GM radios will work in a C4? I'm thinking I could go salvage a CD/radio out of a newer GM truck or car from a junk yard and install it in my C4. Also, has anyone else tried this?
Yes, I've done this. The 94, and I believe the 95 Camaro (F body) cars had Radio/CD units that are 1.5 DIN and will drop right in. They look stock to the early C4 dash. They require a special harness adapter to connect to the factory C4 harness without cutting any C4 wires.
1) Part # 16175961 Delco AM/FM Bose CD Player.
2) Part # 16129041 Delco 21 to 12 pin wiring harness.
See this site for pictures of the head and harness
You can buy complete refurbished units from Dr. Dons or from a site like this one: http://www.mnrelectronics.com/pa16deambocd.html
(Search the page for the head and harness part #s above to see what they look like. Note that the head is listed 2 times. Once with regular AC-Delco and once with Bose. Mine is non-Bose and it works with the original factory bose spaekers.)

See this site for original head removal instructions: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalCorvette1.htm These guys also repair the heads and speaker/amp units.

The Camaro head units have different tuning ***** than on your C4, but you can swap your old ***** on as they pull off easily with no tools. You can also try calling a local junkyard and asking for the 94/95 Camaro head unit. If you get a used head unit from the junkyard, you will probably need to have the 13 year old CD player section upgraded to accept home burned CDs. The old units weren't very good about home-burned CDs and tend to skip under C4 cornering. A good quality local car radio repair/restoration place should be able to do this for you. That is what I did. While it was there, I had the shop add a stock C4 power connector to the head unit power wire so I didn't have to splice the power line as most places tell you to do. The shop should have them in stock, but you can always use the one from your old head unit.

Mine looks stock and plays just great with the factory original Bose speakers and my home-burned CDs. In under an hour I can easily swap the original back into the car if I so desired.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought this cd player out of an Oldsmobile in the junkyard for $15. the cd player didn't work, so I had Dr. Don refurbish it.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Thunder Kiss
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike_88Z51
They require a special harness adapter to connect to the factory C4 harness without cutting any C4 wires...
...Part # 16129041 Delco 21 to 12 pin wiring harness.
Mike_88Z51, can you please confirm that part number?
I'm in Australia and I ordered 3 of these harnesses based on your recommendation, for myself and a couple of friends, and they don't work (and I'm out of pocket for all 3).
They appear to be the exact opposite of what's required - they allow older radios to be used in newer cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Similarities

Quick Reply: Radio Similarities