C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spray painting the wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray painting the wheels?

I would like opinions on this. From anyone whom has done it or know someone else. I got a price of around $400 to have my wheels powdercoated. I'm in college and the funds are not there. I really don't want to strip, sand, and polish them as for the time and work involved. So, I thought about removing the wheels, taping the tires off, and using a good spray paint of sort. I would have to scuff them up a bit first, but not sure how the paint would hold up to everyday driving. Does it sound like a bad idea (something you would laugh at) or would the paint hold up for a few years?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Driftmonster
Instructor

I had a Nissan 240sx a few years back and I tried this. The problem is in order for the paint to actually stick to the wheel and look half-way decent, you need to clean, scrub, sand, ect. $400 for the powder-coating will save you the time, the work, and the disapointment when they don't look good. I did mine flat-black, it was a big mistake.

Good luck,

Jack
Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just save up.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bogus is the expert on this subject.

I actually painted the wheels on my truck before installing rally caps. I scuffed and cleaned the original finish, then primered it, then sanded the primer down with 400 grit, then laid a few think layers of paint on, and followed up with a few layers of clear coat. You'll get orange peel unless you use lots of clear and wetsand it. The key on wheels is getting enough paint on there, and clear protection, so the brake dust won't eat through it as fast.

Temperature probably isn't a big deal unless you're really abusing the hell out of the brakes. I used regular paint on my calipers and it worked fine, other than the brake dust.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 04-11-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Hi!

If you want all-black wheels, for about $400 or so you can get a set of NEW all-black (no silver rim) C5 Z06 style rims from a place called O.E. Wheel Distributors (I think that's their name) in Sarasota, Florida on E-Bay (the Stores section). I think I have even seen them for as low as $375. Then you can sell your existing wheels and re-coup some expense! I had the same problem with the powdercoating expense down here in Houston as I am trying to get a new job out in San Diego and this was WAY too much (but I didn't want the rims that still had a silver rim), and finally dug these all-blacks out for my '89. You really have to search their site, but they're there. The wheels have performed just fine.

Good Luck!

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

I have done this a few times on different cars. Takes some time, but you can get great, actually OEM perfect, lasting results. Autozone or Pep Boys sells paint by Duplicolor called "High Performance Wheel Coating". Get a bunch of your color, and a bunch of clear.

1. Remove wheels,
2. Use a 3m pad to put a good scuff onto every millimeter of the outside of the rim (visible area you will be painting). Then blow off with some compressed air.
3. Then clean with a wax/grease remover or the pre-soaked 'paint prep towels' you can get at Pep Boys or AutoZone. *Dont skip these steps- you must scuff to give the new paint something to grab on to. You must clean afterwards to get ALL dust, grease, etc. off or the new paint will fisheye on you. After cleaning withthe degreaser dont even touch the area to be painted- your finger grease can wreak havoc.
4. Then wipe down with a tack cloth.
5. Use newspaper or painting mask to mask off tires. Carefully tape off any areas on the rims you dont want painted...dont forget the valve stems! I have had good results using wide masking tape. Tear off lengths about 3" long, and kind of work the edge down between the rim & tire, then stick newspaper to the outside edge let it hang covering hte sidewall. You can get the tape edge far enough into the bead area where you'll have NO overspray onto the tires.
6. Apply at least 3 coats of color using the Duplicolor wheel paint. Allow each coat to flash off 10-15 minutes between coats but not much longer than that. Do the first coat light...a tack coat to grab onto the prepped rims. Second coat medium, then the third coat as a 'wet' coat. Put the third coat heavier but be careful not to put too much where it will run or sag.
7. Allow to flash off for about 30 minutes, then apply three coats of Duplicolor Wheel coating clear, in the same manner.

I have done this on three sets of wheels....91 Mustang Ponys that came out looking brand new OEM, a buddy's 82 Z28 (pain to tape off all the spokes) and they came out great, and on my 88 Vette the aluminum was a mess so since my car was white I did them white....now everybody does double takes thinking about how its the anniversary edition with a black interior. You can do all 4 rims for about $60 worth of spray cans. If you do exactly like I said, you will get AMAZING results. It does last. I did my Mustang and they looked just as good a year later. My Vette has been about 8 months. They stand up to regular wheel cleaner & a scrub brush. Key is the prep, and getting a good, heavy final coat of clear that is smooth.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

One more thing....you can get this done in an afternoon if you do it assembly line style...jack one side, pull two wheels, prep one, mask it, spray 1st coat, begin rep on the other, then spray 2nd coat on the first, etc. This way you are doing something during the flash off times. I was gonna post a picture of the Mustang wheels I did but cant figure out how to get it on here....guess I'll stick to painting!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sircrashalot
Autozone or Pep Boys sells paint by Duplicolor called "High Performance Wheel Coating".

Those things are gimmicks. There's no point in using "high performance wheel paint" if you're spraying over it with clear.

Use standard (quality) paint, then use some high performance for the clear.

$60 sounds nuts, that's like 10 cans.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Wow, thank you all for the responses. The stock wheels are in pretty bad shape as far as looks. The clearcoat is all but disappeared. I thought it would be a easy/cheap way to spruce the look up. I can always strip the paint off and have them polished or powdercoated later on. I might just give it a try.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Other opinions?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After cleaning with Aircraft Stripper I used "VHT Gloss black" 1 &1/2 yrs. later still looks ok -----

Till I can afford a set of these ---

Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
red-y
Drifting

What kind of car do you have? I would just buy new rims.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how much it would cost to clean and rough up the rims. If they are in bad enough shape look wise, I don't see what it would hurt. The spray paint can always be removed and then polish the rims. Might be worth a try.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Max_Benzo
Burning Brakes

Just do it. It can get scratched though, so be ready to have a spray can ready for retouching.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 AM
zapitbullseye
Instructor

I just redid my left rear wheel today. The clear coat was horrible. I removed the tire, put the rim on the balance machine as my holding fixture and scotchbrited the thing for 2 hours. Hardest part was the lip. I sprayed with with the silver duplicolor with clear overtop (from auto parts store). It looks sooo much better now. Not exactly the same shade, but very close. Looks much better than before. I'm now contemplating doing them all black with the polished lip. It's a white on white coupe. I see a lot of cars white with black rims, but not many vettes. Anyone ever seen a c4 sawblade done black?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...and on my 88 Vette the aluminum was a mess so since my car was white I did them white....now everybody does double takes thinking about how its the anniversary edition ...
As my Anniversary Edition has crappy looking white wheels this is fantastic.

I had been planning on this R&R soon as air temps get into the 70s, thanks much for the step-by-step...

BTW, did you use sandable primer or etching primer??
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
ozvette87
Pro

I did all 4 wheels in a day using a urethane wheel specific paint and they turned out ok i thought

Get notified of new replies

To Spray painting the wheels?

Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
islandcruiser
Advanced

those look great, never would have thought of spray painting old rims to look like new. good ideal
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Originally Posted by Sleeper90
Other opinions?
If you have more time than money then sand by hand till smooth and paint with a rattle can. Like with everything prep pays off. You can also shop around for the hobby powder coaters. Keep in mind you will have to remove the tires remount and balance.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Regarding comments about # of cans, and no need to use the wheel paint:

1. First time I tried this I used regular urethane from a can & regular clear. All was well until I cleared....horrible yellowing of the clear trying to get enough on there. Decided to use the 'wheel coating' and never had a problem again.

2. I have done 4 wheels each on three different cars doing it this way, all have come out PERFECT, and all have lasted, including my 88 'Vette wheels that looked like garbage now look like anniversary edition wheels. No peel, shiny, nice, new looking wheels for $15 a wheel.

3. It's all in the prep....scuff, clean, wipe, tack cloth, etc. I didn't even prime but just put a good scuff onto the wheels & really cleaned up all dust/ grease/ wax wtc. well and made sure to spray the first coat as a very light tack coat. Results come from prep & enough coats of color and clear with a final good 'wet' coat of clear, and flash time between coats is only 15 minutes so buy more paint than you need, and you do need a mess of cans to do 3 coats of color and three of clear on 4 wheels. You can always return unused cans. You probably cant get to the store & back in 15 minutes when the wheels are off your car!

Quick Reply: Spray painting the wheels?