C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why the C4 over the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
SEA4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it's a few things..

1. the Atari dash interior / sport seat combination are just the best.. I love the way everything wraps around you and hold you in tight..especially with those rib clamping bolsters

I feel very conected to the car and when I'm driving it hard, it just becomes an extension of me.. very satisfying car to drive.

2. The clam shell hood.. how cool is it to open up the entore front end of the car to show someone your powerplant? especially if you have a TPI with the runners and stuff.. looks very exotic

3. and finally, price.. I've got a loaded, very clean, low miles 6 speed car that I've got less than 8 grand into.. and that includes all new Bilsteins, and a complete underhood refurb with new gaskets, hoses, water pump, starter, tune-up parts, sensors, and some polishing/powdercoating.

I am VERY HAPPY with the value and driving experience of my C4~

Old 04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
billbobbins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '92 vert - the first year of the LT1. Even before the 383 stroker it has now, even before the Vortech blower it had, the motor grumbled and shook the car at WOT. I've driven a couple of C5s and, while fast, they did not feel nor sound fast. They were quiet and tame. No experience. They did handle much better than my C4, but it almost felt like an import.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the C4s, I am considering buying a 95 on here. The wife thinks it is too old and doesn't like the styling....(it will be my car). They are great cars and a blast to drive. My dad had a 94 when I was growing up that I got to drive at 16, so that doesn't hurt either..

Not sure if I'll get a C4, 5, or 6 but I am ready for a Vette of some kind soon!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
w4rmk
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

For me I didn't like the interior design of the C5. It has a real GM feel to it. The chicklet buttons on the radio are terrible, looks like it came straight from a sedan parts bin. I like the interior much better on the C4, it feels more like a sports car. Having also sat in the C6, I will say that it is much improved over the C5 and I would like to upgrade at some point in the future (the piggy bank needs to grow).
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

<--- mine certainly did.

Actually without all the interior crap and interior doors, window, the racecar cockpit was much roomier then a street coupe.
Except for climbing in and out over the NASCAR doorbars...

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I was thinking "hey, this is probably how a race car feels like" Again it projects a certain road racing feeling on me but that's just me.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
No ZR-1 in the C5.
No Callaway TT either.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
95LT1_4FUN
Heel & Toe

the C5's got the getto booty.too big and wide.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by gregcm
Funny timing. Call me crazy, but last night I had a disturbing dream and immediately . . . I woke up and breathed a big sigh of relief! How does this relate to the topic this thread? PASSION. As in, I have it. Much as I admire their build' I've just never fallen in "love" with them. This whole "passion" concept is what also prompted me recently to trade in a perfectly nice, reliable (but heavy and commonplace) sport Italian. for some of us, just ooze character and charm and engender great passion, which I now would never trade for greater practicality and cheaper maintenance.See the connection?
I agreed with some of what you said.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
red-y
Drifting

It can be simply answered although it becomes complicated on this forum. The C4 is a different car as compaired to the C-5. Just as the other generations are all quite different. So if you like a C-4 you may not like a C-5 and vicy-vercy!

Last edited by red-y; 04-12-2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I liked the clamshell hood and ...
In addition I like the digi-dash and the general "custom" feel of the interior of my C4.

Plus I prefer the smaller "rear" of the C4.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Corsis
Advanced

Good thread.

Personally, the C4 was the vette that made me want a vette when i was a kid, yeah im showin my lack of age here.

I like the C5, the front is beautiful IMO, the back is too fat, as been said many times here.

But when it came time for me to buy my vette i specifically wanted a c4. Body lines are great.

C5 may have better brakes and engine. But id rather spend the money i saved buying the c4 and modding it, because c4's are becoming rare. I see about 1 a month, i see a c5 almost everyday. Thats why i chose my c4.

C6, different story, i will get me a z06 one day.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:24 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

The early C4s are much more simple to work on than just about every EFI car I've owned. If something electrical related went wrong on a C5, I'd probably have to take it to a shop. Whereas just about any C4 would be a DIY project. Though the chances of electrical problems are much more frequent in a C4, it would probably be much easier to fix than an electrical problem in a C5. Plus C4s are OBD1 so that means they would also be much easier to manipulate for certain performance applications, as well as bypassing certain problematic sensors...
Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsis
C6, different story, i will get me a z06 one day.
that's a solid one on my agenda
Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
93cruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never driven a C5. They look good but when I get behind the wheel of a 93 vert, man!!!!! I get more attention in the 93 than the 05 vert. The 05 has more power and better handling but the 93 is way to cool. I can not bring myself to sell it and I thought I would after taking delivery of the C6. Instead, I have spent alot of time and some money fixing the ol gal up.

93cruiser
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

For the record, the c5 is the first corvette redesigned from the ground up, and it has almost 1500 less parts. The interior was designed to be easier to enter/exit, and yes they DID use Lexus as a high-water mark, and that is why the c5 design was so popular and you see so many.

c5 has a top speed of 175 (stock), and go from 0-60 in 4.x seconds. It has more cargo room in the hatch, and the aluminum block and rear-mounted tranny made for a 51/49 % weight distribution. The slippery skin of the c5 and the big butt were used bc it netted a .29 cd wind tunnel test. Nothing on the c5 was designed w/o the windtunnel saying ok.

The c5 is a better designed auto all the way around, but I understand the thrill of the c4, and I too love the c4 cockpits, the clamshell hood, the way that motor is so easily accessed bc of this feature, but I don't like the flat sides of the car.

They are all Corvettes
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I can say in all honesty that my '88 Z52 coupe is the best all around driving car I've ever owned. I'm not saying that it's The Best in any one area.

Getting in and out can be a chore, but once you're in it it's like being craddled in momma's arms. The cockpit feel of the interior and road stability are one of a kind. I also love the Buck Rogers dash (pre '90). Always have.

You don't get that hand in glove feeling in any other Corvette platform.

I just love C4's. I put about 12k miles a year on this car alone.

I've driven several C5's over the years, and never felt like buying one would be "moving up". Nice cars to be sure, just not for me.

If I want a more seat of your pants experience, I take the '71 out.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
SSquid
Advanced

I owned a C4 a few years back.. it was nice... loved the LCD dash... interior held you in there tightly... but this year I drove a C5 z06... and bought it... and honestly... there isnt a Single thing I miss about the C4 compared to this C5.... Just my 2 cents.. the big wide rear just says muscle... the huge wide tires... again muscle... C4 was too thin to look muscular... but I do love the sound of a Cam'd Lt1

Get notified of new replies

To Why the C4 over the C5?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
nferr
Racer

Originally Posted by VetterGetIt
For the record, the c5 is the first corvette redesigned from the ground up, and it has almost 1500 less parts. The interior was designed to be easier to enter/exit, and yes they DID use Lexus as a high-water mark, and that is why the c5 design was so popular and you see so many.

c5 has a top speed of 175 (stock), and go from 0-60 in 4.x seconds. It has more cargo room in the hatch, and the aluminum block and rear-mounted tranny made for a 51/49 % weight distribution. The slippery skin of the c5 and the big butt were used bc it netted a .29 cd wind tunnel test. Nothing on the c5 was designed w/o the windtunnel saying ok.

The c5 is a better designed auto all the way around, but I understand the thrill of the c4, and I too love the c4 cockpits, the clamshell hood, the way that motor is so easily accessed bc of this feature, but I don't like the flat sides of the car.

They are all Corvettes
The C5 is the first Corvette redesigned from the ground up???? The C4 was a totally clean sheet design that only had the engine and tranny from the 82 C3. And I think a lot of people would say the 63 was pretty much a whole new design.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

These threads are like a blondes vs brunettes thread
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Originally Posted by nferr
The C5 is the first Corvette redesigned from the ground up???? The C4 was a totally clean sheet design that only had the engine and tranny from the 82 C3. And I think a lot of people would say the 63 was pretty much a whole new design.
Yes, the c5 is the first vette redesigned from the ground up. New EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: Why the C4 over the C5?