Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood emblem. What to use to apply?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood emblem. What to use to apply?

I purchased a hood and gas lid emblem. The gas lid emblem came with the tape on the back, but the hood emblem did not. What can I use to apply the emblem? I have seen threads on this before, but was unable to pull up a "search" for it.

TIA, Matt
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Hood emblems have screw caps underside, flashlite to see them, careful they are a pain to get at and remove...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

I have been missing the hood emblem for sometime now and have not caps. Is there some type of thin tape I can use, like what is on the gas lid emblem? I have even thought about using weatherstripe adhesive.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 PM
red86nado
Instructor

If you're taking the time to put new emblems on your Vette, stop by the local hardware and get a pair of stamped steel self-threading nuts. Skip the double-sided tape and especially the weatherstrip adhesive. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble when you want to remove the emblem later. Just one man's opinion...

A socket on an extension will help you get the nuts on from the backside of the hood. Fill the socket with grease...it will hold the nut inside the socket until it starts threading on the emblem post.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 675 Posts

3M double sided tape. Any good paint supply store will have it on the shelf. I would use the speed nuts as well. GM used both for a reason and it's not because they don't like to be CHEAP.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 AM
TRace8893
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
3M double sided tape. Any good paint supply store will have it on the shelf. I would use the speed nuts as well. GM used both for a reason and it's not because they don't like to be CHEAP.
Use the speed nuts. And I used silicone to protect the paint and make it easier if I were to change emblems later on.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper90
I have been missing the hood emblem for sometime now and have not caps. Is there some type of thin tape I can use, like what is on the gas lid emblem? I have even thought about using weatherstripe adhesive.

Id used the 3m adhesive double sided tape. Take care on the caps. If you overtighten the pot metal posts on the back side of the emblem tend to snap of at the base. Ask me how I know this
Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper90

Id used the 3m adhesive. Take care on the caps. If you overtighten the pot metal posts on the back side of the emblem tend to snap of at the base.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Id used the 3m adhesive. Take care on the caps. If you overtighten the pot metal posts on the back side of the emblem tend to snap of at the base.

When I replaced my rear emblem, one of the nuts broke off. I just used the tape on the front, it been a year and no problems
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i bought hood and gas lid emblems last year. i left the plastic covering on the tape, backside. i just bolt them down without utilizing the adhesive tape. they have always been fine and snug. that way, i just unbolt them when the car is polished, for a nice clean effect.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
ogres84
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
i bought hood and gas lid emblems last year. i left the plastic covering on the tape, backside. i just bolt them down without utilizing the adhesive tape. they have always been fine and snug. that way, i just unbolt them when the car is polished, for a nice clean effect.
Can't beat this for detailing ease..

Get notified of new replies

To Hood emblem. What to use to apply?

Quick Reply: Hood emblem. What to use to apply?