C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Code 24

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Blue88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 24

I have an 88 C4 and my instrument panel began going out. The speedo had a short somewhere in it so I put an on/off switch on it so I could turn it off if I wasn't going to drive it for a few days or I would have a dead battery. This has been going on since I bought the car 4 years ago. Last week half the bars in the panel began to disappear and then the panel went blank. The car still ran fine but my wife was driving it 2 days ago and it began to run really rough and she said that she could hear a whiring noise from the rear end (or somewhere around there). I try to start it and the engine will try to stumble and die unless I back off the throttle and it will not idle. I ran the codes on it and got an error code 24 but the service manual said that I should only get this code if the wheels are turning. Does anyone have any idea what has happened? Could it be the connections at the tranny for the speedo or could the instrument panel be causing the problem? I have thought about replacing the ECM to see if that would help but I am stumped. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Disconnect the two connectors on the right side of the dash cluster. The car should run fine with the cluster disconnected.

The code 24 was probably set because the VSS signal is processed by the dash cluster and sent to the ECM. Since the cluster is bad the ECM set code 24.

If after disconnecting the dash cluster plugs doesn't cure the idle problem, disconnect the plug to the MAF and see if that cures the idle problem.

Could the ABS doing a self test been the sound your wife heard when the vehicle is first started and car starts moving? The ABS pump is located behind the drive seat in the storage hatch.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

For your dash: go here: http://www.batee.com/corvette/
great info and repair for all kinds of digi dash issues... your dash issue is prob a grounding issue on the dash.

I can't see how the dash not working will have an effect on the idle...you could have an IAC, TPS, MAF issue... check the FSM and clear codes, start car and recheck for codes.

The whining your hear is the ABS self check when starting out...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Blue88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out this weekend and post the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Code 24

Quick Reply: Code 24