Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 88 stock wheels are starting to look dull

What can I use to brighten them up without removing them from the car ?? Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If the clear coat is gone or starting to look milky you have to use paint stripper and reclear.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default wheels

don't laugh.............there's a product called nev-r dull (rolls eyes) first you gotta get the old clear off then nev-r dull, then mother's every 2 months
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
torchred96
Pro

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
don't laugh.............there's a product called nev-r dull (rolls eyes) first you gotta get the old clear off then nev-r dull, then mother's every 2 months
I know you don't want to take them off the car...BUT I think you will be happier if you do this because rubbing out your wheels every two months getz old!

I am fortunate enough to live near a wheels america. My 96 sawblades looked good from a distance, but up close...yuck..so What I did was bought a spare set that was in pretty nice shape, and took them to wheels of america in miami. They had them done the next day and look virtually brand new....only nicer if you can believe that! Each wheel was 99 dollars flat rate, so you could just do one wheel a month if cost is an issue. I did 2 at a time over the course of two months. I have to pick the second two up tomorrow... Wish I would have known that the wheels would look brand new when I first bought my car as it had curb rash and I just lived with it for the last 6 years.

Oh, not only do they look great, they put a very thick and durable coating on it that will last a long long time...He said it was acrylic powder coated clear...and it looks fantastic...........Just an option. They have several location around the states.

sam

Last edited by torchred96; 03-07-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with the "88 wheels is that they are machined and then clearcoated. Once you remove the clear, you are left with a machined surface that will look totally different than with the clear coat on them.

Kind of like a record album. (If you are old enough to remember them.)

What I had to do. (The clear lifted in spots and oxidized under the clear. This left deep pits. approx 1/32") Was strip the clear, sand the aluminum with 80, 120, 240, 400, 600, 800, 1200 & 2000 grit sand paper to remove all the machining grooves (and pits) and prep the aluminum for polishing. It is a long tedious process but, necessary if you want it to turn out nice. The polishing is a process in and of it self. (PM me if you want details.)

Any way, this is what they look like when all the blood, sweat and tears have run down the drain.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

I also had the clear powder coating done, but also polished them myself before hand. but that price sounds pretty good considering all of the work involved. You can go to Sears or Ace and pick up one of the cone shaped polishing tools, the a variety of grades of polish from your local auto paint store. I also hit mine with a DA using several grades of paper, from 320 up to 2000, followed by three levels of polish. What I ended up with were the flat surfaces looking like chrome, with the area between the blades gray like stock, which I think gives a nice custome look using the stock wheels but giving you something unique to the discerning eye. I did them a year ago and they look like new so far.

Get notified of new replies

To My 88 stock wheels are starting to look dull

Quick Reply: My 88 stock wheels are starting to look dull