C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How hot is too hot, (coolant)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
Here is what I determined, chime in if you have an opninon, as I am know you all will LOL. The old WP beraing was starting to go as indicated by the weeping, so the old WP bearing spun faster that the new one becasue of less resistance, hence it would move more water, hence a slightly lower temp. New WP with had slightly more resistance at the bearing so at lower RPM's less water movement, hence a slightly higher temp.

You may ask how I came up with this. Well at higher RPM's (3 - 4 K range) with the new WP the temps drop to the 195 - 197 area. Higher RPM's mean more water being moved.

Any feedback or comments!
Lets think about this logically. There is a physical connection from the crankshaft to the W/P pulley. It is the serpantine belt. Regardless of the bearing being old or whatever, the W/P turns at a ratio of the engine rpm. Unless you run an electric W/P. Since the engine idle speed is controlled by the ECM/PCM I doubt there is a difference in engine RPM to explain the difference in temps.

Suffice it to say that the new impeller is less efficient than the old one. JMHO. I am not a thermodynamic engineer but, I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Quick Reply: How hot is too hot, (coolant)?