C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose Speaker Relay - 1988 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:12 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Bose Speaker Relay - 1988 Coupe

I have followed several threads on this site, exposed the center dash and I cannot find the speaker relay. More times than not, the relay refuses to work and so no sound.

Anyone out there have direct experience finding this relay?

TIA
Old 02-03-2007, 09:15 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The relay is attached to the dash support brace. The opening in lower left corner of pic, is where the relay is hiding. I have an aftermarket dash, so getting to it was not too bad. You could try and get at it by removing the parts in the center panel or removing the passenger side lower panel and reaching up. You may want to just unplug the relay(leave it attached) and plug in a new one.

Here's a pic showing the wire colors.As you can see by the pic, I just cleaned the contacts and re-sealed the relay.

Here is a pic showing the dash support it's mounted to.

Good Luck
Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Tremendous. Thanks for the great pics. I followed another set of instructions previously but the relays I was looking at were not that far to the right (I was accessing through the center panel). Does the passenger dash pad come off easily?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Is the lettering that I see on the relay the part number?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bonnell
Does the passenger dash pad come off easily?
I don't know, never had one.
My info says the part #'s are
GM 14078902
AC Delco 15-8218
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I don't know, never had one.
My info says the part #'s are
GM 14078902
AC Delco 15-8218
Old 02-03-2007, 05:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had to replace my speaker relay on my 87 this Spring. The FSM wasn't too clear on the location but the directions for removing the pieces to get to it were good.

You have to remove the center dash trim and loosen the trim around the digital display. Remove the radio. There are 5 wire harnesses at the back of the radio and there is not a lot of extra wire to allow the radio to be pulled forward to get to the clips on the various connectors.

Remove the DIC panel and the small box next to it that is the warning chime module. The speaker relay will be to the lower right in the hole at the right side of the dash cavity. It's held to the support brace with two 8mm sheet metal screws. I was able to get the screw out by using a long 1/4" drive extension with a swivel on the 8mm socket. It took some doing to get the socket to hold onto the screw head but they did come loose. One screw is lost among the wires and is probably gone forever.

The relay will not come out into the center cavity because the wires are too short. You will need to remove the passenger footwell hush panel and force the relay downwards among the wires to where you can disconnect it from the harness connector.

Replace the relay and then use a wire tie to simply hold the relay to an available wire bundle. Then re-install all of the dash stuff.

FWIW, the gray center box in the first pic of Agent 86's post is the VATS Decoder Module (secret decoder ring for the ignition key )
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bonnell
Does the passenger dash pad come off easily?
No. You have to remove the upper dash (top) and hush panel first. Even then, it's still a pain to get to. Even then, it's easier to cut at least one of it's mounting brackets to free it. (Believe it or not, this is the recommended removal procedure for companies selling dash kits).

That's what I did, but I'm not reusing the dash pad.

gp
Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
No. You have to remove the upper dash (top) and hush panel first. Even then, it's still a pain to get to. Even then, it's easier to cut at least one of it's mounting brackets to free it. (Believe it or not, this is the recommended removal procedure for companies selling dash kits).

That's what I did, but I'm not reusing the dash pad.

gp
Wow, I am glad to know this! I will try to go up instead. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I had to replace my speaker relay on my 87 this Spring. The FSM wasn't too clear on the location but the directions for removing the pieces to get to it were good.

You have to remove the center dash trim and loosen the trim around the digital display. Remove the radio. There are 5 wire harnesses at the back of the radio and there is not a lot of extra wire to allow the radio to be pulled forward to get to the clips on the various connectors.

Remove the DIC panel and the small box next to it that is the warning chime module. The speaker relay will be to the lower right in the hole at the right side of the dash cavity. It's held to the support brace with two 8mm sheet metal screws. I was able to get the screw out by using a long 1/4" drive extension with a swivel on the 8mm socket. It took some doing to get the socket to hold onto the screw head but they did come loose. One screw is lost among the wires and is probably gone forever.

The relay will not come out into the center cavity because the wires are too short. You will need to remove the passenger footwell hush panel and force the relay downwards among the wires to where you can disconnect it from the harness connector.

Replace the relay and then use a wire tie to simply hold the relay to an available wire bundle. Then re-install all of the dash stuff.

FWIW, the gray center box in the first pic of Agent 86's post is the VATS Decoder Module (secret decoder ring for the ignition key )

Thanks for this info. I will be prepared with the right tools. Using this info along with the great pics above I should be good to go.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just posting to bookmark this page.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Just posting to bookmark this page.
I'm not taking any chances. I did a 'save as' and saved this to my PC.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:11 PM
m_r_donovan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker volume

I just got a 1990 with the Bose Gold radio. With the volume turned to max I can barely hear the radio when at a stop. Could this be the speaker relay? Any other ideas?
Thank you
Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 PM
James in MD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the speaker relay located in the same palce on a 93 convertible? My Bose system is not working. The shop pulled the headunit and receiver and sent them out for testing. Both units test OK so something else is wrong. I guess either the speaker relay is bad, or the amps on all of the speakers are bad.

James
Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by m_r_donovan
I just got a 1990 with the Bose Gold radio. With the volume turned to max I can barely hear the radio when at a stop. Could this be the speaker relay? Any other ideas?
Thank you
I would be surprised. The relay controls power to the speaker amps. With no power it is unlikely that any signal at all would get to the speaker. BUT, I don't remember the circuitry in the amps and it may be possible if you turn the volume up enough and some signal drives through the amp. Where do you hear the sound from?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Could this be the speaker relay? Any other ideas?
The relay is only a switch so not likely the cause of very low volume.

Assuming volume is low at all speakers, the problem is likely in the preamp, located (I believe) below the storage compartment in the hatch.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Speaker Relay - 1988 Coupe

Quick Reply: Bose Speaker Relay - 1988 Coupe