C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

why own a auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Default why own a auto

i understand if your a girl and cant drive a stick or you do some hard core drag racing, but why would you own a auto corvette. to me it just seems to take away from the whole driving expierence
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
i understand if your a girl and cant drive a stick or you do some hard core drag racing, but why would you own a auto corvette. to me it just seems to take away from the whole driving expierence

Four words

"Phoenix Rush-Hour traffic" LA folks feel free to chime in here. Goldcylon
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As a daily driver, it's a must for traffic reasons. Also, I wanted my wife and kids to be able to drive it if they ever wanted (my wife won't drive it though).
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've driven manual trans in Chicago traffic jams, not as bad as LA, but some ****ty driving none the less.

Every one of my cars has been a manual.

Unless you are building a bracket drag racer, or maybe an off-road rock crawler, for me manual is just more fun.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked around for a year and could not find a decent one with a stick. Only like 25% of C4's have them I believe. Honestly, I agree with you but I dont mind driving an auto especially since mine is geared to be just as quick.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4Ever21
I looked around for a year and could not find a decent one with a stick. Only like 25% of C4's have them I believe. Honestly, I agree with you but I dont mind driving an auto especially since mine is geared to be just as quick.
ya, when i started looking for one, i drove some autos and thought, this isnt so bad, but thank goodness for me i found a 6speed
Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Why? 1. traffic, 2. quicker (unless it's an all out run, and assuming you don't miss... 3. ridiculous costs of repair on a C-4 stick, and the #4 reason as stated here on a weekend post...."it's hard to use your cell phone when shifting!"
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Why? 1. traffic, 2. quicker (unless it's an all out run, and assuming you don't miss... 3. ridiculous costs of repair on a C-4 stick, and the #4 reason as stated here on a weekend post...."it's hard to use your cell phone when shifting!"
my car came with a video from chevy and on the video it says the auto is like half a second slower
Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

don't want anybody to hit my golf ***** for me.
don't want anybody to slide my skiis downhill for me.
don't want anybody to keep my gf awake cept me.

hate standing out in the hot sun...but-- ''FORE !!!''
hate frostbite....but--''TRACK RIGHT !!!''
good nights sleep--priceless...(yawn...)

some things that are work, ain't.
prefer to ''row'' my own.

Last edited by redrose; 01-30-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

If you are a bracket racer, the auto eliminates the possibility of a missed shift and theoretically should shift the same each time. You need that for consistency.

As far as everything else. I'm not worried about repair costs since manual transmissions don't break as easily as an automatic.

As for traffic, you bunch of sissies, if you know how to drive properly, your keft leg will never be pushing the clutch pedal in unless you actually have to stop.(little lessons learned as a professional driver).

The stick robs less power than the automatic therefore giving you more mph at the end of a 1/4 mile run, plus you get the advantage of actually driving the car rather than simply steering it.

The advantage of the automatic is that the right torque converter can do wonders. Not only does it convert torque, but also multiplies it.
That's why all else being equal, an automatic will get the holeshot over a stick shift car.

My six speed car stock pulled a 1.93 60' as it's best time.
My automatic with the stock torque converter and 2.59 gears ran the same number.
Difference at the finish line-six speed 108 mph, auto-102 mph.
Six speed was also 3 tenths quicker.
Now with 3.45 gears and a 2800 stall torque converter, the automatic pulls a 1.67 60' time and with all the other little things(slight weight reduction, better tires) it has matched the MPH of my six speed and is 5 tenths quicker.
In most cases, the automatic used to cost more as an option. Now automatics are standard equipment, but they still make you pay extra(in the case of my pick up truck).

So in my opinion, there is no advantage to buying an automatic(unless you are a hard core drag racer) except that you can save money on a used vette since as stated above, barely 25% are stick shift cars and the stick shift cars are more desirable to the enthusiast interested in the full driving experience.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

When your're older, you'll understand.....
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
If you are a bracket racer, the auto eliminates the possibility of a missed shift and theoretically should shift the same each time. You need that for consistency.

As far as everything else. I'm not worried about repair costs since manual transmissions don't break as easily as an automatic.

As for traffic, you bunch of sissies, if you know how to drive properly, your keft leg will never be pushing the clutch pedal in unless you actually have to stop.(little lessons learned as a professional driver).

The stick robs less power than the automatic therefore giving you more mph at the end of a 1/4 mile run, plus you get the advantage of actually driving the car rather than simply steering it.

The advantage of the automatic is that the right torque converter can do wonders. Not only does it convert torque, but also multiplies it.
That's why all else being equal, an automatic will get the holeshot over a stick shift car.

My six speed car stock pulled a 1.93 60' as it's best time.
My automatic with the stock torque converter and 2.59 gears ran the same number.
Difference at the finish line-six speed 108 mph, auto-102 mph.
Six speed was also 3 tenths quicker.
Now with 3.45 gears and a 2800 stall torque converter, the automatic pulls a 1.67 60' time and with all the other little things(slight weight reduction, better tires) it has matched the MPH of my six speed and is 5 tenths quicker.
In most cases, the automatic used to cost more as an option. Now automatics are standard equipment, but they still make you pay extra(in the case of my pick up truck).

So in my opinion, there is no advantage to buying an automatic(unless you are a hard core drag racer) except that you can save money on a used vette since as stated above, barely 25% are stick shift cars and the stick shift cars are more desirable to the enthusiast interested in the full driving experience.
spank you, spank you very much
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Staehling
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are getting a 84-88, and don't want the DN4+3...

If/when I get a 89+, would get stick. Happy with the auto, particularly mated to the L98.

I think the LT engines are more suited to the stick, especially when you're doing gears, etc.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vinnies87
When your're older, you'll understand.....
your right. last year i liked autos, now that im 23 i love manuals j/k
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,029 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

try driving a stick in a C4 with size 18 shoes

and Baton Rouge daily traffic
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vader86
try driving a stick in a C4 with size 18 shoes

and Baton Rouge daily traffic
doesnt sound like you have a problem at all. har har har
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
ITHZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have my Vette yet,but it will be an auto.I have been driving a stick for the past 12 years.I moved from Texas to Atlanta 4 years ago.Now my clutch leg is almost twice the size as the other because of Atlanta traffic (I think it's the worst in the USA).Can't wait for an auto!!!

Get notified of new replies

To why own a auto

Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

).

So in my opinion, there is no advantage to buying an automatic(unless you are a hard core drag racer) except that you can save money on a used vette since as stated above, barely 25% are stick shift cars and the stick shift cars are more desirable to the enthusiast interested in the full driving experience.[/QUOTE]

There's a reason barely 25% are sticks, most people don't want them (and most vette owners don't read the forum ) In my experience, in markets with multiple vette choices, the sticks are alot harder sell and thus tend to be cheaper (they may ASK the same or more, but they SELL for less). 4+3's are almost IMPOSSIBLE to sell down here. But this subject has been beaten more in the past few years than Notre Dame in bowl games!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 AM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a manual transimssion just because thats what I always wanted in my dream car.

I test drove several corvettes before I bought my corvette and I have to say that the automatic transmissions impressed me very much.

Seems like the corvette has so much tourqe, it is still really fun to drive the automatics.

All the same, I only considered manual transmissions when I bought my car.

I would never think less of a corvette owner just because he drives an automatic.

I did before I drove an automatic.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the past forty years, every car I've owned has been a stick. When I bought my Ruby, I specifically looked for an auto. I have arthritis in my left knee. And only in my left knee. I believe that forty years of pushing a clutch has taken its toll.

My 1978 FIAT 124 Spider has a stick, but it sees duty only on sunny days, and racks up about 2,000 miles a year.

Quick Reply: why own a auto