Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Vette owner - needs some help :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 12:12 AM
November Soul
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vette owner - needs some help :)

Hi Everyone!

I bought my first Corvette a few days ago, it's a 1986 model and I LOVE it!
(See pictures).

Anyway, I have a few questions and was hoping you guys could help me out.

First off, my dashboard seems to flicker a little, is there anything I can do about it? I discovered the dimmer control today after wondering why my dashboard went really dim every time I messed woth the lights - I'd been inadvertantly twisting the dimmer - DOH :confused:

Secondly, I want to install an alarm system, and was looking at something like the Black Widow BW-FM2000 (with the pager thing) + a microwave sensor for when I have the top off. Can anyone reccomend a good quality alarm, and should I try to install it myself - I've asked a few car audio stores and they charge around $500 to supply and install - ouch!

Thirdly, is it worth installing a LoJack? how much does it cost? Am I paranoid?

Fourthly, How the hell do I get that damn glass roof panel off? Do I really have to unbolt it all?

And Fifthly (and finally), in one of the storage compartments, there is a black box which looks like an alarm system - is there a factory fitted alarm on this model (1986), or is it something else?

So there you go, thanks for having me - here's some pics of my dream car...
http://odin.prohosting.com/~bobanddi/vette.html

[Modified by November Soul, 8:58 PM 10/4/2001]
Old 10-04-2001, 12:23 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (November Soul)

Since I don't own a 86 the only help I can give you is the top. There are 4 bolts that have to be loosened to remove the top. 1 each under the sunvisors and 2 on the back of the top. You will notice when you drive the car with the top off , you will feel the car twisting some with bumps and when you torque down on the engine. This is normal, when you take the top off the structual intergrety of the car is much looser. That is why the top is bolted in, to give the structure of the car rigidity.

Some dash ficker is normal from what I can tell. I get some with mine but not all that much. If you are getting an excessive amount you may want to check the alternator or the battery
Old 10-04-2001, 12:45 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

alright, i just bought my 86 and i know how you feel. i love mine to death. The targa top is removed like he said above, you remove the two bolts at the back (they come completely out) and loosen the two under the sunvisors (they stay IN) until you can push the top loose and pick it up, DONT FORCE IT, after you do it one time youll know what i'm talking about.

There is a factory alarm system, a VATS, its your key, it has a little black piece in it which is a resistor that the ignition reads, you cant start the car without this key. I wouldnt install another alarm myself, so i dont know which to recommend.

There is a little hole in your digidash that controls the brightness of the lights, dimmer at night. These lights go bad and its possible youll end up replacing them. That could be your problem, if you cover up that hole, it will think its dark outside. These digidashs are tricky bastards and you might want another vette owner to look at it, or describe it to these guys in here, theyll figure it out.

I dont know of any black box in my compartments, not off hand, but it shouldnt be the alarm. Also, for future reference, look in the compartment behind the drivers seat and read the RPO codes to see what options your vette has, thats USEFUL info.
Hope i helped.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:13 AM
Daniel C4
Instructor

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (vader86)

I'm glad someone asked about the top, I was curious about that myself but hadn't asked cause I havn't started driving mine yet (how painful!) How quickly can you guys unbolt the top, and how light is it? Can one person remove it by themselves?
Old 10-04-2001, 01:28 AM
86Coupe
Pro

Being an owner of an '86 myself, I might be able to help ya if you can't decipher all the RPO codes. The black box, if it is under the drivers side compartment is more than likely the ABS computer. As far as the dash flicker, some is normal, but it may be an indication of things to come. If you dive a bit into the dash, you can change the lights if you are really careful without actually removing the cluster. I replaced my cluster because I had a bad temp readout LED. If changing the bulbs doesn't help, then you might have signs of the infamous solder joint problem that is you search the forum, you will find numerour references to. Not really that tough to take care of, just a bit intimidating at first. As far as alarm, there is a factory security system, which includes a starter cutoff, look for the green SECURITY light on your information center. You can install an aftermarket alarm, but the cost comes from bypasses the existing one, but I have seen it for less than $500, so you might want to check around some more. Then the top, yep four bolts as discussed, but once you do it a few times, it'll become no big deal, easy on, easy off. LOJACK? That's a matter of personal preference, if you are in a high crime area, or make a habit out of parking in vulnerable places, yea it might be worth it, never thought about it myself, maybe some other guys here can throw in there 2 cents, I know there has been some thefts amongst the ranks!

LAST---ENJOY! It's the best deal around! I just got chrome wheels off an '99 Vette, 18X9.5 rear, 17X9.5 front, WICKED! I'll post pics as soon as I get them , and remember....SAVE THE WAVE! :seeya
Old 10-04-2001, 01:35 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (Daniel C4)

I'm glad someone asked about the top, I was curious about that myself but hadn't asked cause I havn't started driving mine yet (how painful!) How quickly can you guys unbolt the top, and how light is it? Can one person remove it by themselves?
I can have mine unbolted, off the car, and in the storage space in under a minute.

One person can do the top. Just be careful NOT to drop it. After a few times of doing it, it will be 2nd nature to you. The glass top is MUCH lighter than the painted one.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:51 AM
November Soul
Racer

Okay, so I've just been and had a look in the compartments again, the black box DOES seem to be some kind of alarm - as it has words marked on it like "antenna", "sensors", "trigger" and "car stereo" - I just don't have the remote :(

Also I looked at the RPO codes - wow there's a lot, here they are, any explaination would be great :eek:

AG9 AV3 A42 A51 BGR B4P CC3 C45 C68 DL8 D3X D98 E9Z FE7 FG3 G44 KB2 KC4 K34 K68 L98 MD8 MXO NA5 NN5 PW9 QZD UC4 UU8 V01 V73 Z51 Z6A 1AZ 621 622 645 81U

another thing while I'm here..., the power door locks work great from the switch inside, but locking/unlocking the driver's door with the key doesn't activate the other door - confusing :confused:
Old 10-04-2001, 01:54 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Z51
You're gonna love that one!

...and yes, the key only unlocks one door.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:13 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard! It's been a little quiet in here since the national tragedy but you will have fun and become addicted!
Old 10-04-2001, 09:43 AM
86Coupe
Pro

Here's Some Help For Ya:
AG9 - Adjuster, Seat, Power, 6 Way
AV3 - Hook, Cargo, Tie Down
A42 - Seat, Power, Driver
A51 - Seat, Front, Bucket, Passenger, Driver
BGR - Bowling Green Production Plant
B4P - Radiator Boost Fan
CC3 - Roof, Hatch, Removable
C45 - This One Is Not Listed, Double Check?
C68 - Climate Control, Electronic
DL8 - Mirror, Left/Right Heated, Remote
D3X - Gear, Speedo Driven
D98 - Stripe, Accent, Rally
E9Z - Speedometer Key (Delete)
FE7 - Suspension System, Front & Rear Heavy Duty
FG3 - Shock Absorbers, Front & Rear Gas Preloaded
G44 - Axle, Rear, Ratio 3.07 (good one!)
KB2 - Heads, Engine, Cast Iron (Means It's Early '86)
KC4 - Cooling System, Engine Oil
K34 - Cruise Control, Automatic, Electronic
K68 - Generator, 105 Amp
L98 - 350ci TPI Engine
MD8 - Transmission, Auto, 4 Speed 700R4
MXO - Automatic Overdrive
NA5 - Emissions Passed, Federal
NN5 - Emissions Overide, California
PW9 - Wheel, 16X9.5 Cast Aluminum
QZD - P255/50 VR 16 Tires/16" Wheels
UC4 - Not Listed, Double Check?
UU8 - Stereo System, Delco Bose
V01 - Heavy Duty Radiator
V73 - Standard Vehicle Statement
Z51 - Package, Performance Handling (GOOD!)
Z6A - Rear Window & Side Mirror Defogger
1AZ - Dealer Order
621 - Interior Trim, Light Saddle
622 - Trim Combination, Light Saddle
645 - Roof Color, Removable, Bronze
81U - Exterior Color, Bright Red (Woohoooo)

Some Good Stuff There! Hope That Helps! :seeya
Old 10-04-2001, 09:43 AM
vader86
Team Owner

AG9-power driver seat
A42-adjuster seat 6-way power bench
BGR-bowling green assembly
B4P-radiator boost fan
CC3-removable roof panels
C49-electronic rear defogger
C68-electronic A/C
DL8-heated mirrors
D3X-gear speedo driven
D98-stripe accent
E98-rear hatch
FE7-heavy duty suspension
FG3-Delco Bilstein shocks
G44-rear 3.07 ratio Dana 36
KB2-cast iron heads
KC4-oil cooler
K34-cruise control
K68-105 amp alternator
L98-engine
MD8-700R4 transmission
MX0-auto w/ overdrive
NAS-emission federal
PW9-16 x 9.5 rims cast aluminum
QZD-255/50 VR16 radials
UU8-Bose system
V01-heavy duty radiator
V72-vehicle certification
Z51-suspension
Z6A-rear/side defoggers
UQ4-4 speaker system
yours has basically the same options mine does, the last few numbers are color codes for interior and exterior.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:44 AM
vader86
Team Owner

oh sorry, i didnt see his post when i wrote mine
Old 10-04-2001, 01:19 PM
November Soul
Racer

Thanks guys! I'll check the unlisted ones (it was dark when I wrote them down last night) when I get it back from having it service. My local dealer quoted me $650 for the service, which sounds a lot, but includes a tune-up, so I guess it'll be worth it.

It's great to have a forum like this with really great people so willing to help. Thank you all. You'd never get a forum like this for a '89 Toyota Camry :D
Old 10-05-2001, 05:04 AM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

to be honest alarms are usless. My car was stolen, after 3 weeks i got it back with minor damage. What i did was install a small electrical key switch under the gas flap, the kind from a pc case. It is wired inline with the fuel pump. When the key is off the car will not start period. And what are the odds of a theif knowing to look there, let alone have a key

Old 10-05-2001, 06:05 AM
92BAV
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (nsimmons)

to be honest alarms are usless. My car was stolen, after 3 weeks i got it back with minor damage. What i did was install a small electrical key switch under the gas flap, the kind from a pc case. It is wired inline with the fuel pump. When the key is off the car will not start period. And what are the odds of a theif knowing to look there, let alone have a key

Very clever! :cool:

Old 10-05-2001, 01:38 PM
November Soul
Racer

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (nsimmons)

Nice!, I bet every thief reading this has now gone out to his local PC store to purchase a key :D

The alarm was so I could deter people from reaching inside the car and grabbing stuff (like the stereo, or the roof panel), rather than stopping them from stealing the car. That's why I was looking for one with a microwave/radar proximity sensor. I do live in a very safe area (Simi Valley, CA), but I'm paranoid 'cos I'm English and car crime is very high in England (You almost have to lock your car and set the alarm while waiting at the lights).

Anyway, I've looked at the codes again, and the two that I wrote down incorrectly turned out to be not that interesting :(

C49 Defogger, Rear Window, Electronic
UQ4 Speaker System, Bose

BTW: Did the locking gas cap come as standard? Mine doesn't have one :(

[Modified by November Soul, 5:41 PM 10/5/2001]
Old 10-05-2001, 04:21 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alarm was so I could deter people from reaching inside the car and grabbing stuff (like the stereo, or the roof panel)
You don't just reach in & grab a roof panel, but I do get your point!

BTW: Did the locking gas cap come as standard? Mine doesn't have one :(
Nope! Aftermarket.

Welcome aboard, hope she treats you well. :cheers:

Neal

Get notified of new replies

To New Vette owner - needs some help :)

Old 10-05-2001, 08:38 PM
Lv2Driv
Drifting

Contrary to what vader says, you do not have to take the rear bolts completely out ..they loosen up and disengage allowing the top to come out. (this may be what Vader is referring to when he stated taking them out. )the rear bolts should remain in their respective holes.
My dash has no flicker and seems to have all of the bulbs lit. When does it flicker, is it when you run an accessory or at start up? This may be telling you you need a new alternator.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:48 PM
November Soul
Racer

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :) (Lv2Driv)

So is there a special tool I need to release these bolts? They look like the TORX (tm) type, I might see what I can find at Home Depot - anyone know what size or TORX it is? (T60 or something??)

The dash has all the lights, and seems stable with the ignition on, but engine off. It flickers with the engine running, it could possibly be down to vibration - perhaps that solder joint everyone moans about. The other day it went very dark and stayed that way for a while - next time I got in the car it was bright again - crazy!

It doesn't flicker that much - just mildly annoying
Old 10-05-2001, 08:49 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: New Vette owner - needs some help :)

I guess all of your questions have been answered. So I just give you a hello, welcome and congratulations on your new Vette! Looks like a beautiful car! You gotta love a red Vette!

Quick Reply: New Vette owner - needs some help :)