C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Defrost making awful noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Defrost making awful noise

When switching from fan to defrost there's this weird noise coming from under the hood. I'll switch back to fan then back to defrost and it will go away. Also, if I crank the car with the defrost engaged it really makes a loud noise until I switch it to fan or turn it off.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... When switched to defrost it will cycle the A/C compressor - does it make the same sort of "noise" if you just put it on A/C and turn the temperature down? Bad compressor or clutch?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Better check out the compressor before the heat wave hits
Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sounds like your A/C compressor's gone ****-up to me.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you mean by switching it to fan? Defrost or any vent position is independent of fan speed.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SunCr
What do you mean by switching it to fan? Defrost or any vent position is independent of fan speed.
When it's blowing at my face to then turn the defrost on it makes a gurgling noise. I can turn off the defrost by switching back to the button that's aiming at my face and then turn the defrost back on and the noise will go away. I believe my A/C Clutch is going out because everytime I turn the auto button on or A/C two codes came on about 2 months ago. I haven't turned the A/C back on since then so I guess it's probably bad but since the A/C hasn't ever worked since owning the car I haven't worried about that much.

No, it doesn't make that same sound when turning on the A/C with the temp down to 60. If I remember right one of the codes was for O2 sensors when turning the auto on a few months ago. I'll find out what the codes were later on today after work.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the a/c isn't working, but might still be trying to at least momentarily, unplug the wires on top of the compressor to be sure the clutch will not engage. If it is trying to engage and the compressor is locked up then it is burning the belt every time it tries to work.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I'm still a little bit loss on this, but if you're going from Vent or an Economy Setting (the a/c ducts) to Defrost, the compressor should be commanded on by the Programmer. It isn't going to engage if there's an a/c trouble code, so post what it's got (though the O2 sensors have nothing to do with a/c). You might just try looking at the compressor/engine compartment while someone operates the controls. That might help you pinpoint it.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

When I got in from work tonight sitting in the driveway I turned on the A/C Auto to then hear the growling noise. Turned it off then back on auto and it went away. Put the temp on 60 and watched the compressor. It looked normal and I let it run for 15 minutes. Didn't get any codes and everything seemed normal. I haven't had the compressor on in 2 months so it was probably lubing itself or my luck probably on it's way out.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Getting codes 63 and 67. 63 is Oxygen Sensor or MAP A/C clutch circuit failure. The SES light didn't stay on but about 15 seconds tonight for the first time in two months.

Get notified of new replies

To Defrost making awful noise

Quick Reply: Defrost making awful noise