Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 04:47 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches..

I think the problem with operating the clutch, if you have a wide foot, is the stupid ridge on the left hand side (Dead pedal?) What if a 2.25" extension was added to the face of the pedal, do you think that's a viable solution? Maybe even make it L shaped over the "Dead pedal" so you have more room between clutch and brake.

What do you think?
Old 10-03-2001, 04:57 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (Smash)

As long as it was a solid and sturdy design it would work.

Isn't that what they do for REALLY SHORT people.. that cannot reach the pedals.. I bet something has been made for that..

What size shoes do you wear anyway.. I have no problem with the clutch on mine.. but I wear 13's
Old 10-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (-=Jeff=-)

14, very wide.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:06 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (Smash)

Didn't Michael Jordan have a Z? He's 6'6" I believe, dunno what size shoes he wears tho.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:25 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (Drewdog)

Didn't Michael Jordan have a Z? He's 6'6" I believe, dunno what size shoes he wears tho.
I'm taller than he is :D
Old 10-04-2001, 09:49 AM
Don Martin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idea is good as long as there is a place to put your left foot while you are just driving. I am not sure there is room under the clutch. I think there is.

We are not sure that Michael Jordan "drove" a ZR-1 however. I have wide feet also 10 1/2 EEE and I found the clutch difficult in the 4+3. I wore my most narrow shoes when driving it.

I also like the idea of wearing loafers and just slipping the left one off when driving.

I would like to always have a Corvette with traction control. Yesterday I hit a patch of damp road early in the morning. It was a shaded spot on a bright sunny day but the early fog had condensed water on the road. I did not see it and I hit the gas around a neat corner here in town. The ASR lit up, good thing!

Do the 92 ZR-1's have ASR? I think so.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:14 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (Drewdog)

Jordan wears a size 13
Old 10-04-2001, 12:51 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches.. (-=Jeff=-)

I have to replace the cover on my speakers every so often because my foot rubs the grill all the time. In fact right now I need to replace it again, there is a hole in the carpet over the grill.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:06 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Default Re: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches

I have found that I can't wear "cross-training" shoes when driving the 'Vette because the soles are extra wide for stability.

My carpet on the left side of the clutch pedal is also taking a beating.... :cry

[Modified by CaliforniaLT-1, 9:07 AM 10/4/2001]
Old 10-04-2001, 02:26 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

There's a picture of Jordan in a C4 at the Factory. He's on the wall of fame along side Rick Mears and othrs.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:06 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had any problems using the clutch on my 95. There's just enough room for my foot to pass to the side and rest behind it. I wear a 15 D. I could see if you were a EEE you might have to twist your foot more to get behind it to rest.

I drove my first long trip to Bowling Green and kept my foot forward most of the trip and ended up walking with a limp for quite a while after getting there. On the way back I got used to sliding my foot to the back and the ride was 100 times more comfortable.

I also think knowing I could take the tranny out of gear without using the clutch helped alot. I taught myself how to drive a stick years ago and thought that was the way you had to do it. I'm no longer concerned about my ability to "jump" on the clutch with lightning speed in an emergency. Just take it out of gear and slam on the brakes!

Old 10-04-2001, 10:28 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

I have very wide feet and have resorted to taking my shoes off while driving. I feel a little silly getting out of the car at work in my socks but it's worth it. I'm glad to discover that I'm not the only one who finds the clutch pedal area a little cramped.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:28 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Try something here, I've noticed that when I put just the right half of my foot the clutch, the left side of my foot hits the "dead (pool) pedal" which acts as a clutch stop (in the name of love). Why push the clutch to the floor if you don't have to? (test this gently on your vehicle, your clutch may not be fully engaged ((like me as of friday, when I ask my girl to marry me, wish me luck)) unless it's on the floor)This allows my foot to completely cover the pedal without gettting in the way of the brake pedal. Also makes for quicker shifts. Try it, it takes it little getting used to though. For those of you who take your shoes off, get some nice flip flops to wear on casual (sex) days, easy on, easy off. I personally love driving shoeless (joe jackson).

:crazy: :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches..

Quick Reply: I had an idea - I think I know how big-shoed people can drive c4's with clutches..