Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Magnaflow mufflers with longtubes on L98?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Jared1984
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow mufflers with longtubes on L98?

Hey,

Right now I have hooker longtubes, with true duals (with h-pipe) into 2 flowmaster 40's on my 89. I'am looking for louder (It's really not loud but does still sound good ) I am interested in these #324365
http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.com/c4perfmagna.htm#

I want just the mufflers with LT1 tips. Supposedly they are straight through so that has to make me louder, and I'am sure it would sound badass. I know louder is not always better, But I feel this set-up would be louder and prob sound even better? Does anyone have some sound clips PLEASE!!! Especially with longtubes and no cats.....I'd be your best friend

Thanks
-Jared-

Last edited by Jared1984; 01-15-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is thart the Magnaflows are a more "refined" sound than the Flowmasters. I have found that the Flowmasters sound like most of the P/U Trucks running around here in redneckland.

If you want loud... why don't you just do muffler eliminators?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Jared1984
Pro

My understanding is thart the Magnaflows are a more "refined" sound than the Flowmasters. I have found that the Flowmasters sound like most of the P/U Trucks running around here in redneckland.

Well I thought about the elims, but kind of moved away b/c I hear you loose power. I know mojo went from 108mph to 106. So i figured the magnaflows would give me the best of both worlds...
A straight through... ( gives eliminators sound) muffler (no performance loss)
I just really want to hear this set-up before I buy the mufflers...ya know.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
k0rupt_ed
Instructor

flowmasters not loud enough? you should come to my house in that case, or atleast a couple blocks away
Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Jared1984
Pro

hmmmm, what do you have done. Mine has long tubes and no cats with the flowmasters. I would think that's as loud as I would get with them. It's just not loud enough for me. My buddies stock LT1 camaro with a SLP catback (stock manifold and cats) Is just as loud as mine. Doesn't sound nearly as good, but still just as loud. I love my car loud
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i would definitely dump the redneck flowmasters. sorry to offend, but just about any muffler is better.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
k0rupt_ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
i would definitely dump the redneck flowmasters. sorry to offend, but just about any muffler is better.
not happening I love em
Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Shawn_65
Pro

if you want loud go with B&B I have a friend with a c5 and he put that catback system on. it just devours anything in site, godly idle sound, godly rev, godly take off. it sounds killer, but its like $800...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared1984
Well I thought about the elims, but kind of moved away b/c I hear you loose power. I know mojo went from 108mph to 106. So i figured the magnaflows would give me the best of both worlds...
For starters, I believe Mojo's cars are LT1's?
Irregardless...
Without knowing all of the specifics of someone else's combo, tune parameters, and racing/testing conditions, nobody can possibly say that their car will loose power with a specific muffler (or lack thereof) just because one other person's may have.
Not to mention, there are way too many variables (at the track) to narrow down a power loss to one specific part. Was the car in the exact state of tune? Was the temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and density altitude all exactly the same as when previously tested? Was the track temperature the same? Tires hooking exactly the same? etc...
There are no golden rules as far as every car or combo reacting the same exact way to a certain modification. What works for someone else, may not work for you, and vice-versa.
In a nutshell...If you do not try something on YOUR setup, you'll never know if it works or doesn't work.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midnite 88

This comes up all the time, both here on the forum and when I speak to clients at my shop when selecting mufflers/systems.

Basically it boils down to:

Flowmaster mufflers are what they are.. high-flow mufflers that use multiple baffles to cancel noise. They do have a distinctive sound, but for the most part, if you don't have a long duration cam, they sound "hollow" and tinny. With a long duration cam, however, they sound killer. Among other drawbacks are after time, the baffles can come loose and rattle, the bodies rust (they aren't stainless), and you sound like every other Mustang or pickup truck out on the road.

Magnaflow mufflers are a "straight through" design, with steel accoustic packing, similar to the old Thrush mufflers of the '60's and '70's. The tone is more of a mellow rumble until you mash the pedal, when they have more of a roaring tone (sounds killer with an X-pipe). The "refined" adjective is very appropriate. They sound good with a stock camshaft or a more aggressive one. They don't rust, as they are constructed from stainless steel.

Muffler eliminators are simply empty exhaust tips (or the cheapo Monza type "resonated" tips) with elbows welded on. With the original cats in place, they're not as loud as you would think (at least with resonated tips).

As to loud systems....
The loudest C4 exhaust I ever built was for a client. I used Twister race mufflers that I normally sell to the drag racing crowd (VERY low restriction!). I though it too loud myself, but the guy just loved it. Different strokes....
Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Jared1984
Pro

Thanks for the info everyone.....

Racerx70cc,
I guess you do exhaust work. Will the magnaflow mufflers give me a louder sound, but still sound good? I know louder isn't always better. My car does have a ZZ4 cam and aluminum heads.
Also will I loose HP with the eliminators. They are cheaper than the magnaflow and I'am sure they would sound louder too. But I need to weigh out the advantages for each. Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree that there are so many variables (cam, pipe size, cats, not cats. etc..) I am running 3" flowmaster 40s with single tip out. I am running big cubes, a rather large cam and true duals with an X. At idle it sounds just mean. Full throttle is super loud but good. Resonance sux. I get many positive comments about the sound and look (understated).
Old 10-03-2019, 08:18 PM
RR40vette
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

don't like the sound with muffler delete.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by RR40vette

Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 AM
RR40vette
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
IMO a muffler delete sounds cheap and unrefined "my opinion" whatever floats their boat. You’re better off just replacing the muffler or use electric cutouts
Old 10-04-2019, 06:24 AM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RR40vette

Well, on the brightside, it only took you 12 years to let us all know...

FWIW, I agree that they sound horrible. Had them for a short time on my old C4 and it basically sounded like an old farm truck with a rusted out exhaust.

Last edited by rel3rd; 10-04-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow mufflers with longtubes on L98?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow mufflers with longtubes on L98?