Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need help, badly. .... No Start Condition.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Need help, badly. .... No Start Condition.

Symptoms:
A couple nights ago, I went out to my car, and it started right up. But as soon as put it into reverse, the idle dropped down and the car was trying to die on me. I put it back in Park, the idle went back up and the car ran normal. I let it warm up for a few moments, put it again in reverse, and all was fine, and drove home. Also, I had no problem going to work yesterday morning.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I went to a job site (all was fine on the way there). I parked for 20 minutes. I was getting ready to leave the job site. The car started up fine, but as soon as I put it in Drive, the car immediately died. I have not been able to start it since.

I had the car towed home. The engine cranks fine but it will not fire up. I get steady fuel pressure at the rail at approx. 41 psi. after attempting to crank several times, I pulled 1 plug and it was not wet from fuel, however, it smelled almost like a burnt ash. It appears the injectors aren't firing (Edit: I have put a test light to the injectors, and the light is always on/solid... [More detail in my next post]) . I am getting a weak spark at the plugs.

Could the ignition module be the culprit? I also spoke with a corvette shop and they suggested it might be the ECM (I recently bought a remanufactured ECM less than 1 month ago). I sent in my old ECM for the core return (Stupid me, I should've kept it just in case)... Anybody have any ideas of what might be wrong or of something i may be overlooking?

Also, the most important info...... I get no DTC's at all. None. Zero. Zip. No SYS lcd flash, & the SECURITY light comes on and goes off as it normally should.

Last edited by VetteUSA; 12-19-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you suspect the injectors are not getting the distubitor refrence pulses, you need to get a noid light and check for sure. If you would like, you can also take the ICM into Autozone and have them check it. Your 93 is the last year for batch fire injection.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Kinda sounds like a bad ignition module or a distributer cap (Opti-spark on a 93). Check to make sure it's not wet.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert - Sorry to hear you are down again. The ECM I loaned you last time is out on loan to another CF member, but he's now had it a couple of weeks so I could press him to return it if you want to eliminate that once again. Sorry I can't say I'm surprised that a rebuild didn't last. It seems nearly everyone has bad luck with them.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Since you suspect the injectors are not getting the distubitor refrence pulses, you need to get a noid light and check for sure. If you would like, you can also take the ICM into Autozone and have them check it. Your 93 is the last year for batch fire injection.
I don't have a noid light or kit, but I did put a normal test light to the female connectors (tried testing a single prong, and then I did a dual prong paper clip method. The light is solid when I turn the ignition to the On position, and the light remains solid when I crank. The light does not pulse at all. I tested every injector connector and they all did the same thing... solid light the entire time.

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Kinda sounds like a bad ignition module or a distributer cap (Opti-spark on a 93). Check to make sure it's not wet.
The opti was dry, I also inspected the water pump for leaks and did not notice any. Looked on the ground for any signs of leaks and there were none.

Last edited by VetteUSA; 12-20-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by scranage
Robert - Sorry to hear you are down again. The ECM I loaned you last time is out on loan to another CF member, but he's now had it a couple of weeks so I could press him to return it if you want to eliminate that once again. Sorry I can't say I'm surprised that a rebuild didn't last. It seems nearly everyone has bad luck with them.
pm sent
Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

And returned. You guys can work it out between you now. Hope the new ECM fixes it, I think it will.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:14 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

And returned. You guys can work it out between you now. Hope the new ECM fixes it, I think it will.
Well, it turns out the problem was in fact that ECM I just recently purchased, The ECM lasted for barely a month. Steve, your ECM brought my car back to life . I've got to give the online company a call now and have them ship me a free replacement. I'll be calling salvage yards as well to try to find a good working original ECM. I'm not a happy camper right now.

FYI, to those of you reading this, I purchased an A1 Cardone remanufactured ECM from RockAuto.com.

Last edited by VetteUSA; 12-22-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad to hear. I expected as much. I just don't hear of anyone getting a reman that works out. You can hold on to that one till you get a decent replacement.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:38 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Thank you, Sir.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No sweat. I wouldn't blame Rock Auto too much, they just resell the crap that is poorly QC'd but the reman guys. I would try to find a salvage ECM from a yard vs. a reman. Or at least a Delco reman.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No sweat. I wouldn't blame Rock Auto too much, they just resell the crap that is poorly QC'd but the reman guys. I would try to find a salvage ECM from a yard vs. a reman. Or at least a Delco reman.
If that's all that's out there as far as ECMs, I would tend to agree with you. But scranage, as a reseller, Rock Auto does have the option not to sell junk, doesn't it?

Not an apples to apples, but I once spoke with a tire dealer owner who did brake work as well. He said he could sell "good looking" junk rotors that cost him betw. $5 and $10. But he said he wouldn't ever; they were true junk in his opinion.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:04 AM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe Delco stopped rebuilding or 92/93 ECM's. A search of the usual suspects for GM part 16159278 shows nothing. You can try to find the Delco part number 88999183 which is the reman item from Delco. I'd be interested if anyone can actually still get one delivered.

Last edited by scranage; 12-23-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:42 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is your e-brake set?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Most of the parts that are being rebuilt and/or remanufactured are done so out of this country. And their requirements are a bit different than ours. Could Rock Auto purchase their rebuilt elsewhere? Of course. Could Rock Auto purchase their parts from somewhere else and still maintain the same profit margin? Probably not. It all comes down to the all mighty dollar. Personally, I NEVER purchase anything rebuilt. Most people have problems with rebuilt parts, especially when they're electronic. Remanufactured is "supposed" to be all new parts in the old shell. Are they always? Of course not. Rule of thumb - if you can buy brand new, do so. You'll have less headaches.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, badly. .... No Start Condition.

Quick Reply: Need help, badly. .... No Start Condition.