C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Lucas Oil Stabilizer

I was looking to add Lucas Oil Stabilizer to my engine. My question is will this mix with Mobile 1 synthetic oil? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it.

If you're not happy with regular Mobil 1, I'd strongly recommend going to Auto Zone and getting German Castrol Syntec 0w30. Awesome stuff, and not nearly as thin as Mobil 5/10w30, although the M1 0w40 is good stuff. Check out the link I included, then decide for yourself.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Aereation in the oil is a bad thng.

Last edited by CMYC4GO; 11-28-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is what I run and I highly recommend it. Lucas mixes with dyno or synthetic oil just fine. It will slow or stop any very minor oil seepage at the seals and adds extra lubrication to gear train/timing chain. Use one quart Lucas and 4 quarts oil at oil changes.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

While this demonstration is quite interesting, one must keep in mind that it deals with gear oil, not motor oil. It also makes brief mention of the differences between the two.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer? I didn't know motor oil was unstable....

Larry
code5coupe
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Mark_Sheehy
Racer

I use the synthetic version with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 to change the oil in my L98. No issues in the last 2 years, also upped my oil pressure a couple points at hot idle in the Summer.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
5pinball
Burning Brakes

lucas now makes a synthetic oil additive. i put lucas in all my cars once they hit70k. mixeing non synthetic with syn. wont hurt anything. i use valvolne 5-40 in winter and 10-40 in summer.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Let's also remember that "bob" is a truly, self-proclaimed, unknown quantity. Meaning, he won't say and no one else will either what his quals are. Which leads me to think that he's just a well-meaning, articulate guy with some jargon and knowledge trying to do the best he can with what he's got.

sort of like the rest of us.....

Last edited by AORoads; 11-28-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Let's also remeber that "bob" is a truly, self proclaimed, unknown quantity. Meaning, he won't say and no one else will either what his quals are. Which leads me to think that he's just a well meaning, articulate guy with some jargon and knowledged trying to do the best he can with what he's got. sort of like the rest of us.....

Although he has developed a large forum with a membership that includes (so it's said) several lubrication engineers....

Larry
code5coupe
Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Mark_Sheehy
I use the synthetic version with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 to change the oil in my L98. No issues in the last 2 years, also upped my oil pressure a couple points at hot idle in the Summer.
I do too on my LT1.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
wisynoil
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
I was looking to add Lucas Oil Stabilizer to my engine. My question is will this mix with Mobile 1 synthetic oil? Thanks in advance.

Don't do it, you'll be sorry. If you don't like Mobil 1, then switch to Amsoil
Old 11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wisynoil
Don't do it, you'll be sorry. If you don't like Mobil 1, then switch to Amsoil

Bob is the oil guy has a great reputation.

Did you read that study?

There are other links to oil additives in general with some pretty informed members on that site.

Almost all oil additives are pure marketing and snake oil.

My dad wouldn't touch the stuff. But what did he know? He only had a Phd in Chemical engineering.

I wouldn't put anything lucas oil makes in any vehicle I own.

But that's me and my two cents.

Matt383
Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 PM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt383

Bob is the oil guy has a great reputation.

Did you read that study?

There are other links to oil additives in general with some pretty informed members on that site.

Almost all oil additives are pure marketing and snake oil.

My dad wouldn't touch the stuff. But what did he know? He only had a Phd in Chemical engineering.

I wouldn't put anything lucas oil makes in any vehicle I own.

But that's me and my two cents.

Matt383
You and your dad are two very smart people.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lucas has worked for me.

I have a 91' C4 ZF6. At 60,000 miles was using a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Motor is very dry so no leaks and no oil in the coolant. Only thing I could tell is after setting a couple of days it would blow a puff of smoke at start up.

Anyway, I began adding a quart of Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer with 4 qts Castro GTX 10W40. At 65,000 miles I changed the oil again. I only had to add 1 qt of oil in 5,000 miles. 2.5 times less oil usage then before using Lucas. Now at 69,000 miles the oil is still showing full on the dip stick.

OK, so the Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer has stopped my oil usage, but I would be curious to know if anyone has had a problem caused from using Lucas in their L98.

I just started adding a qt of Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer to my 96' LT4 to slow a front oil seal or gasket leak until I can get around to fixing the leak. I have put close to 2,000 miles on the engine since adding Lucas including a track day and have not experienced any problems. Oil pressure is fine and oil temp is fine. I have noticed the oil leak is beginning to slow. I did not use the synthetic Lucas because it did not seem thick enough to do what I wanted (slow the seal/gasket leak). Again, any experience from LT1/LT4 owners and Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just don't understand why anyone would put any oil additive in their engine. Even if said additive does clear up some valve seal issues, it's simply masking a problem that is present and needs to be dealt with.

My .02...
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by rocco16

Although he has developed a large forum with a membership that includes (so it's said) several lubrication engineers....

Larry
code5coupe
I agree; and the operative words therein are, "...so it's said..."
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CMYC5GO
Don't do it.

If you're not happy with regular Mobil 1, I'd strongly recommend going to Auto Zone and getting German Castrol Syntec 0w30.
Based on the info I've reviewed the German Castrol 0w30 is an excellent oil. But for those that prefer an American made alternative:
Used Oil Analysis Comparison: German Castrol 0w30 vs AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
I just don't understand why anyone would put any oil additive in their engine. Even if said additive does clear up some valve seal issues, it's simply masking a problem that is present and needs to be dealt with.

My .02...

I guess I could tear my L98 down and find where the oil was going, but it is not smoking and not leaking and no one could tell me the problem. The Lucas worked. We'll see...

Get notified of new replies

To Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VinceAD
I guess I could tear my L98 down and find where the oil was going, but it is not smoking and not leaking and no one could tell me the problem. The Lucas worked. We'll see...
My post wasn't really directed to you, but was more general. I guess if it works for you... as long as you recognize the additives for what they are. I used to try every additive back when I was beginning college. Now I run just straight M1. I guess I had to learn my own way...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
My post wasn't really directed to you,....
Well mine will be!!!
Originally Posted by VinceAD
You will have heard the saying "pay me now or pay me later", and if you havent, you have now. You can pay now or pay later, and later normally means with interest ontop of the payment

The oil was going somewhere, if its not leaking, 5 will get you 10 its going out the exhaust one way or another. That isnt the best place for it, and the exhaust doesnt need lubrication.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont screw around with engine oil additives for a reason. If Chevy thought that they were a good idea they put them in their cars and/or recommend them to consumers.

The same thing can be said about air filters. Why paper? because it traps more dirt than a K&N. I'd rather keep my engine longer than gain like 5 HP. Thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Stabilizer