Convertible top problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top problems

Hello all,

Trying to do a little maintenance on my vette. Problem is when the doors are shut/windows up, the vert top "puffs up" like a hump. I can let the windows down or crack one and it falls down. I can't stand it any longer. I read at one time that the headliner has come loose from the top???? Will installing a new headliner fix the problem??? If so, does it matter what brand? TIA

It looks like sheit.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

???? here is a TTT for ya.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:38 AM
RetroTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do ya know it puffs up and down? I would have to get next to one of those clean milk trucks to see that.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:21 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the C4 Corvette convertibles driving down the road with a "puffy" top. Doesn't look good.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:07 AM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroTA
How do ya know it puffs up and down? I would have to get next to one of those clean milk trucks to see that.

Mine does the same thing when I close the doors BUT at highway speeds..its fine. I did that trick and the top is not "puffed" up. If you really want to make sure its ok or not..have someone drive the car at highway speeds and you follow in another car and check the top.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Azwol
Heel & Toe

The top has two metal strip centers upside down in the rails. These are screwed in from below and accessed by taking off the inside ceiling cover. Be careful not to rip the inside cover - try prying from one end after undoing the front and rear cover. You my be able to get instructions from a top seller, but basically if these are tight look at ajusting the rear rail hight if your top cover is old. (ajustments on each side of the rail - put don't do too tight - just take out any slack).
Old 12-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Originally Posted by Azwol
The top has two metal strip centers upside down in the rails. These are screwed in from below and accessed by taking off the inside ceiling cover. Be careful not to rip the inside cover - try prying from one end after undoing the front and rear cover. You my be able to get instructions from a top seller, but basically if these are tight look at ajusting the rear rail hight if your top cover is old. (ajustments on each side of the rail - put don't do too tight - just take out any slack).
Thank you for the post Azwol. I will have to give it a try when the time is right.......Miller time.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
poorbob
Intermediate

The headliner is held to the center frame rail with sewn in plastic clips. Carefully remove headliner and you will see cloth tabs sewn to the top and glued to the metal frame. Either the glue as come loose or the thread has come loose from the top. Reglue as needed!! If it is the threads coming loose it may be time for a new top. I just finished putting a new top on my 95.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top problems

Quick Reply: Convertible top problems