Mystery Solved! Bad ECM.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Mystery Solved! Bad ECM.

Just thought I'd inform everyone of a problem i was having that got solved. I made some posts in other threads about how the SYS & Security light started blinking while driving my car, as well as having the "Service ASR" warning light come on at the same time. and coupled to that a very persistant reiteration of DTC's 41, 54, and 72.

After a weeks worth of headaches of trying to figure out what in the world was going on, it Turns out, from my troubleshooting, that my ECM seemed to have developed a heat soaking problem. I read on the forum that others had tested this theory with ice packs and hair dryers. Well, sure enough, I tested this theory out on my ECM. The blinking sys light and security light went away after i left an ice pack on the ECM for a few minutes. When I used hot air from the hair dryer to heat it up again, the blinking SYS and Security lights started to blink again. (Keep in mind I discovered this ice/heat theory well into a week's worth of not knowing what was going on (and being at work all day doesn't give me much time to troubleshoot). However, i don't think the heat soak problem was the only thing wrong with my ECM. Even when the ECM wasn't hot (when parked all day at work), when i tried to
leave, my car sometimes wouldn't start. All in All, it looks to be that it was just a flat out bad ECM.

Anyway, A fellow forum member shipped a spare ECM to me, (I just received it this evening), I hooked it up to my car, and now, NO more blinking lights My car is back to normal, and starts when i want it to start.

I don't want to jinx anything, so i'll have to see how it does on my way to work tomorrow. It just as likely could have been a bad CCM, but i'm glad i didn't have to try to fish it out from behind the dash. I guess i'll be able to confirm or retract these statements tomorrow. I certainly hope i don't have to retract them.

Wish me luck tomorrow. (but i think my car will be just fine).

Last edited by VetteUSA; 11-13-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thanks for the information, I bet you feel a lot better now that you got the problem fixed.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I hate turning the key, staring at the display while holding my breath

Man,you have spent some time on that car! Hope you finally found whats been ailing it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rspreng86
Thanks for the information, I bet you feel a lot better now that you got the problem fixed.
I feel much better. Last week I was completely stressed because of this problem.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I hate turning the key, staring at the display while holding my breath

Man,you have spent some time on that car! Hope you finally found whats been ailing it.
I was holding my breath the entire week I can still hear myself sayng, "Please start. Please Start. Pleeeease Start."
And unfortunately, for me, all of my car's problems seem to be problems that completely disable it, or prevent me from driving it for any extended period. VATS problem, Bad Ignition coil, Bad Alternator, Bad U-Joints, Bad ECM. Luckily, i've been blessed with a worry free waterpump and Opti. I'm dreading the day I have to replace those.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 AM
murraybob
Racer

The nice thing about swapping out the ECM on an LT1, is that it is the easiest thing on the car to work on. I wish everything was waist high and out in the open!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

really glad you got that one troubleshot. it might be a good idea to heat wrap your replacement ecm, for peace of mind as much as anything else
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by murraybob
I wish everything was waist high and out in the open!
I'll pass.........
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 AM
FF1wms
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
I'll pass.........
Old 11-17-2006, 07:52 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
I'll pass.........

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
really glad you got that one troubleshot. it might be a good idea to heat wrap your replacement ecm, for peace of mind as much as anything else
That was my first thought . Not sure where to get the stuff though. I guess i can buy some at any auto parts store?

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery Solved! Bad ECM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Solved! Bad ECM.