Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which Is The Premier Car Show For Corvette's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:54 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Is The Premier Car Show For Corvette's?

I live in Cape Town, South Africa and a Newbie to Corvette ownership, and as the rest of you, I’m hooked.

Planning to spend some holiday time in the US next year and would like to take in a car show where I can see lots of Corvette’s. I have heard that there is one car show where there are around 10,000 Corvette’s exhibited, is that correct, and if so which one is it, when is it, and where is it held?

Will firm dates and venues be available yet?

Regards
Nick
Old 10-15-2006, 04:59 AM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

I think that you are referring to Corvettes at Carlisle. August 25 - 27. An excellent event with Corvettes only allowed inside the fair grounds. www.carsatcarlisle.com
Old 10-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Corvettes At Carlisle is a car show, cruise in and swap meet all in one,last Saturday of August each year.

Mid America's Fun Fest is another, usually middle of September.

Bloomington Gold and some of those other are more just shows with most of the cars not even driven to theshows.

For Corvettes in action and a chance to really see them up close and learn about mods, try and make it to NJ. We have 4 races left at the drag strip. Many folks here will say the Corvette is not a drag car and they are correct, but when youdrag race and already own a Corvette and the Corvette does suc a fine job at it, why not.

I can't recommend any road courses to visit because I don't what the rules are for visitors, but you can't see the whole track anyway, that's more an experience for behind the wheel rather than spectating.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
I think that you are referring to Corvettes at Carlisle. August 25 - 27. An excellent event with Corvettes only allowed inside the fair grounds. www.carsatcarlisle.com
Is Carlisle a City?

Every time I try and locate Carlisle using Google Earth it takes me to a Carlisle in the UK.

Mr. Mojo; what City in NJ, and how far apart is the city in NJ where the racing takes place from the Carlisle show?

Thanks Nick
Old 10-15-2006, 09:43 AM
fueler
Intermediate

Default corvette car show

Corvettes at carlisle is located in Carlisle pa. We have been attending for the last 14 years . I think it's the largest corvette show in the world with about 60,000 attending. You can buy new/used parts there or select and purchase a used corvette. If you like corvettes carlisle is the place to go. Once you go you will want to go every year.There are plenty of hotel/motels in the area but rooms are often booked a long time in advance. If you plan on attending go to cars at carlisle for more info about dates and a place to stay for next year. It should have telephone numbers of motels in the area.
good luck
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Bloomington Gold

The 4-day extavaganza "Bloomington Gold" show in St. Charles, IL is held in mid June. Four days of showing, judging, seminars, and a cruise! Not to be missed, if you're a Vette nut and in the "hood". If you're in town and need a "ride" for the cruise, I think that can be arranged!!

P.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

i think Carlisle, Fun Fest, and Bloomington should be your goals in that order. if you're coming all the way from south africa, you want to go to one of the biggest. they all have websites, so i'd check them out and see which one interests you the most.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
67RivGS
Racer

I can't get Carlisle on Google earth, what is the closest city to Carslisle that I can try to locate Carlisle on the map?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Harrisburg, Pa. It's the state capitol and only 15 miles from Carlisle.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:31 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
I can't recommend any road courses to visit because I don't what the rules are for visitors, but you can't see the whole track anyway, that's more an experience for behind the wheel rather than spectating.
There is however the Monterey Classics in August. Very cool for anyone who enjoys cars. You can walk through the paddock/pit and see, smell, hear, feel the history of race cars from the earliest Indy cars to F1, TransAm to CanAm. Then step out to the pit wall and watch 'em scream by.

Linkyhttp://www.montereyinfo.org/page/776...=3rcgj1g6hi4r9

Oh yeah.. lots of Vettes too
Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
There is however the Monterey Classics in August. Very cool for anyone who enjoys cars. You can walk through the paddock/pit and see, smell, hear, feel the history of race cars from the earliest Indy cars to F1, TransAm to CanAm. Then step out to the pit wall and watch 'em scream by.

Linkyhttp://www.montereyinfo.org/page/776...=3rcgj1g6hi4r9

Oh yeah.. lots of Vettes too
WOW, that looks like it is worth seeing, one heck of a program.

Pity it is so far from Carlisle, it would have been great to do both, but who knows perhaps we can fit them both in.
Thanks
Nick
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

www.carsarcarlisle.com
www.bloomingtongold.com
www.mamotorworks.com
All good shows. The Carlisle show is a bit more rugged on the spectators as a good portion of it is on hilly ground. There is a huge swap meet area for parts of every description and Mecum Auctions sells many Corvettes there.
The Bloomington Gold show seems to be geared to original cars rather than those that are customized. Plenty of non-stock cars there too. Bloomington Gold is just west of Chicago and has lots of hotels and places to eat and shop. The show is located on the grounds of a very nice golf course and resort. A beautiful setting. They also have a parts swap area but it is not as large as Carlisle. Mecum's auction is there too and is a much larger event than Carlisle.
The Mid America show(FunFest) does not have as many vendors present as they only allow there own suppliers to exhibit their wares. They also do not have a swap area there or a Corvette auction.
My suggestion would be for you to go to Bloomington Gold as it is probably easier to fly in to OHare airport direct than it would be to fly to Harrisburg, PA.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My suggestion would be for you to go to Bloomington Gold as it is probably easier to fly in to OHare airport direct than it would be to fly to Harrisburg, PA.[/QUOTE]

Harrisburg has a very modern and nice airport, with quite a few major airlines servicing it. Also, when we were there this summer Budget Car Rental had a lot of vettes (coupes and verts) available for rent.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

There are a few larger Corvette shows in the Central Florida area if you happen to be down this way during the month of October/November.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67RivGS
I can't get Carlisle on Google earth, what is the closest city to Carslisle that I can try to locate Carlisle on the map?
Use plain old Google - it comes up just fine - city = Carlisle, State= PA. Just Type Carlisle PA it works!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by 67RivGS
Is Carlisle a City?

Every time I try and locate Carlisle using Google Earth it takes me to a Carlisle in the UK.

Mr. Mojo; what City in NJ, and how far apart is the city in NJ where the racing takes place from the Carlisle show?

Thanks Nick
Englishtown, it's about dead center in the state and about 2.5 hours east of Carlisle.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:45 PM
rahoyme
Instructor

Default Black Hills Corvette Classic

It's not nearly as big as Carlisle or Monterey, but for a good time, the Black Hills Corvette Classic in Spearfish, SD is great. It's in mid-July, about 2-3 weeks before the cycle rally in Sturgis. You'll see a lot of nice Vette's, and cruising the Black Hills is a gas.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Javwho1
Advanced

I really enjoyed Bloomington Gold since its in my back yard. We would love to see you here and show you around. Not too hard to find about 1/2 hr from the airport.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Is The Premier Car Show For Corvette's?

Quick Reply: Which Is The Premier Car Show For Corvette's?