C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Windshield Replacement

My '91 windshield is pitted as a result of sand and bits of dirt hiiting in on the highway. With 72K and 15yrs it's time to replace.

I was surprised to learned tonight that I can get it replaced for $221 plus tax by a national company. I was thinking it would be around $400.

So if you have been putting up with glass as described, this number sounds pretty good to me.

SAVE THE WAVE!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Is that just the glass? When the insurance did mine they replaced everything, including all the moldings and they used GM parts, get this they charged the insurance company $1100 it took them three days to do the work, they said normally it took two but one molding came in bent and they had to wait for a replacement. It has a lifetime warranty against workmanship and parts.

Bob
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced the windshield in my 1991 Tuesday. Check the weatherstrip seal at the base of the windshield, if it is cracked, now is a good time to replace it. It was only $23.00 through my local Chevy Dealership.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

when they do it watch everything they do. that way they do a good job, with you standing there watching every move, the job will probably be done better there are alot of hacker glass shops out there.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 PM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The regular price was about $458 but with a special discount it's $221 installed. Did not give me any options for moldings. But $1,100 even at the highest price ($458) plus cost of moldings seems much too high....but what do you care the insurance company paid!

I will check the bottom molding as well as the others to see,if there is a problem.

And good point I will be there with the installer, even on my death bed!

Thanks for your comments.

SAVE THE WAVE!!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the C4 forums-there was a good discussion on here somewhere a few months ago about windshield replacments. Things like cut paint causing rusted out frames, cheap/non-spec glass, etc, etc. I'd be a bit leery about $250 for this job!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by tonymax2
Search the C4 forums-there was a good discussion on here somewhere a few months ago about windshield replacments. Things like cut paint causing rusted out frames, cheap/non-spec glass, etc, etc. I'd be a bit leery about $250 for this job!
make sure they put primer over any scratches. scratches can be hard to avoid sometimes. as far as glass, the best route to go would be to tell them you want the widshield from the dealer. if you get a cheap price you will get a cheap job, dont be cheap on glass.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
goldeneye_vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After hitting a pheasant going 92mph on the highway I just replaced my windshield in my 85. All of the molding had to be replaced. Progressive forked out a check for a total of $974 when it was all said and done. No leaks or squeaks, looks better than ever, and to top it off the shop owner has been a C4 owner for over 20 years. The moldings were more expensive than the windshield itself. Go figure???
Old 10-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Stay away from cheap glass! You will regret it for sure if the glass came from the other side of the world. This happened with my last Vette and I will never buy the cheap crap again. The glass was not shaped properly and left a huge gap at the top molding. Never again. I will not do that to my current car.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine done this summer by a glass company a freind of mine uses at his garage. Came right to my house and they did what seemed to be a good job. New glass, $205 installed.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:07 AM
AnniversaryJim
Instructor

I hope it's OK to say this here... if not, please delete this post, as I don't want to break any rules.

I've had several windshields replaced by SafeLite, they are an OEM supplyer for many makes and models. The guy that does it (same guy out of Salinas every time - very talented installer) always comes to my home or our shop and does the swap in my driveway, although I usually back the Big Rig out of the shop and give him a shaded area to work. When doing the large commercial windshields, they always send 2 techs out to handle the big glass.

I've done one of my Town Car Limos, two of our International 4300 Flatbed Tow Trucks, the owners F250, a customers VW sedan, and others.

They have done an incredible job each time, and the price has always been substantially lower than any of the Glass Shop or Body Shop quotes that I have gotten locally.

Warranteed as long as you own or lease your car.

You can get a quote or make an appointment on-line at http://www.safelite.com

I have no affiliation with them, I am just a satisfied customer, many times over.

Jim
Old 10-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by tonymax2
I recall this as well. I was good because someone explained the difference in the glass and specifically what to ask for
Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I understood that much of the pilars had to be replaced.

Mine was around $1200 when the Ins company replaced it (cinder block through the windshield by vandals). They replaced the glass, all the seals, the retainers on the side, etc. It looks brand new!! No more leaks either
Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AnniversaryJim
I hope it's OK to say this here... if not, please delete this post, as I don't want to break any rules.

I've had several windshields replaced by SafeLite, they are an OEM supplyer for many makes and models. The guy that does it (same guy out of Salinas every time - very talented installer) always comes to my home or our shop and does the swap in my driveway, although I usually back the Big Rig out of the shop and give him a shaded area to work. When doing the large commercial windshields, they always send 2 techs out to handle the big glass.

I've done one of my Town Car Limos, two of our International 4300 Flatbed Tow Trucks, the owners F250, a customers VW sedan, and others.

They have done an incredible job each time, and the price has always been substantially lower than any of the Glass Shop or Body Shop quotes that I have gotten locally.

Warranteed as long as you own or lease your car.

You can get a quote or make an appointment on-line at http://www.safelite.com

I have no affiliation with them, I am just a satisfied customer, many times over.

Jim
My previuos post was actually directed at this company. They did install a nice windshield for me in a Chevrolet truck once. But, the Vette windshield was a total disaster. The glass actually curved back near the top in the middle and looked terrible, not to mention a major leak. The glass was cheap and from Indonesia or something. Never let the above mentioned company install a winshield in your C4 under any circumstances.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

One job was $1100 and yours will cost less than $400,sounds like you will be doing it twice.Ive heard nothing positive about Safelite,nothing but junk.At least with the windshield stay with an OEM part.And you might want to check the frame,when I did mine last year I found some rust in the frame and I live in CA and Ive had this car since 87 and as far as I know the windshield I pulled out of it was the original.If your a masochist try doing the job yourself.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As far as the trim goes,I had planned on replacing the trim but when I got it,$500 for the three pieces it looked so nasty I returned 2 of the pieces,I had to keep the one I opened.I repainted my originals.You can get them off without raping them but it takes some time.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

I'm almost sick of going over this.

1. DO NOT stand over the installer, watching his every move.

-you are being a huge A-HOLE when you do this. All it does is make the installer feel uneasy while he works. Let him concentrate on what he is doing.

2. DO NOT use Safelite. Their glassis not OEM for any car.

3. Use PPG or Pilkington galss they are OEM

4. The big prioce differences are if you replace the weatherstripping that runs up both side of the door glasses and the top of the roof. That part is 300 buck from GM and I use only GM on that part.

5. Call you chevy dealer and see who they use for Vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Replacement

Old 10-15-2006, 12:51 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 85 done for $125.00
C&J Glass out of Salinas Ca. We've used this company for 15 years without a problem.

I've used them on my own cars without a leak, or a stratch, or a fit problem.

I live in a rural area and the aholes with the pellet guns cause anywhere between (last year) $300.00 and the year before that $700.00 in damages.

We simlpy couldn't afford $1,100 for a new glass every year.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As I stated above, mine was replaced this past week, it cost $225, and that included tax. The glass was LOF which is what came out of the car. If somebody is paying a $1000.00, they better be replacing all the weatherstripping, and channels because that's a ridiculous price.

The installers actually didn't mind me being there as I had removed the old weatherstrip, and channels for them, because I had new pieces coming so I needed to get all the old glue out. They also didn't mind not handling the glass top.

They were pretty cool about it, and explained what they were doing, but I also stayed out of their way, especially while the old glass was being removed. I wanted to get a good look at the frame as I have heard stories about these rotting out. Mine was extremely clean, and they commented on the fact that most of the time these cars had issues.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:00 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from Safelite, I had my windshield replaced by them about a year ago and it was a disaster. I asked them numerous times about how many Vettes they have done like mine and if they knew what parts to order. Of course they didn't order all the parts needed, the molding around the windshield looked like a 4 year old replaced it, and the windshield now sticks out of the frame higher than it did before and doesn't look right. The only good thing that came out of it is that the windshield doesn't leak. I had to spend about a week fighting with my insurance company to use OEM moldings (that cost more) as other people have had leaks with aftermarket brands.

I was told to fix the way the windshield looks (sticking out, and moldings not fit right) would require removal of the windshield and ordering more parts

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement