Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vette drivers treated differently?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette drivers treated differently?

I have noticed the 'Vette draws more attention (obviously) from women and men. However I think men are threatened by them as I think they are more aggressive on the road to 'Vettes than they would be otherwise. If I screw up on the road and **** someone off in my beat up S-10 it's no big deal. In the 'Vette it is downright scary sometimes. I guess men are jealous and threatened since a beautiful Corvette represents wealth and that means the owner could steal his girlfriend. Whatever. I try to be extra careful and courteous when in the 'Vette which has carried over to my other vehicles so that's good. I hate parking though, I have to park way away out in the boondocks since the 'Vette got keyed last time I parked in a handicapped spot which is where I should park. (Yes I have a placard and yes I am handicapped and I use a cane)
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like some people are just ignorant and stupid. I dont care what other people think, but yes I would agree with you. People think mommy and daddy are rich and bought me a vette. Truth is I worked my butt off and saved up for a while to get it myself. $5000 for a car isnt exactly a huge sum of money.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Dynabob
Burning Brakes

I totally agree with you. The Vette seems to draw the nut cases out of the woodwork. I have more people wanting to pass me and act like they want to race as well. It just comes with the car I guess. Oh, and I drive a beat-up S10 daily driver as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

I agree, I just got my vette and took it for the first extended drive since i've gotten it, 450 miles or so. I notice the kids and such get excited and wave or give you the thumbs up. But also notice that I get these guys riding your a$$ and passing agressivley or in tight situations, and as they go by you kinda see the guy has the kiss my a$$ look or a big deal look to their girl friend cause he was able to pass me while I'm going 59. And at the same time you are thinking to yourself I wouldn't even have to down shift to blow his 4x4 or his 4 door grand prix off the roadLOL! Ironic to see this post since I was thinking it myself.

Last edited by Huntervangolf; 09-05-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I much prefer when they just do this.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:12 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am short, balding, getting up in age and no longer slim. I still have women ask for me to give them a ride! I just explain that my wife won't allow me to give rides to good lookin gals. Not exactly 100% truth but this is a small town and I'm sure she would find out in a hurry!
Just yesterday I went to the local market and parked way out from the building taking up 4 spots. Some dipwhiz in an old minivan parked right next to me (we are talking close enough for their door to possibly hit my car if opened wide). What the hey! What ever were they thinking?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It's cause Corvette owners have a different attitude once we jump into the drivers seat of a Vette

duh!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I am short, balding, getting up in age and no longer slim. I still have women ask for me to give them a ride! I just explain that my wife won't allow me to give rides to good lookin gals. Not exactly 100% truth but this is a small town and I'm sure she would find out in a hurry!
Just yesterday I went to the local market and parked way out from the building taking up 4 spots. Some dipwhiz in an old minivan parked right next to me (we are talking close enough for their door to possibly hit my car if opened wide). What the hey! What ever were they thinking?
The key here is they were NOT thinking.

*** holes. I see them all the time out here. I would use a valve stem tool and flatten their tire.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are correct in that the Corvette draws attention. What bothers me is that they attract attention from the wrong folks. I am convienced all the local shreiffs cars has a picture of mine taped on their dash. For that reason I stay at or under the posted speed limit everywhere.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 545 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I believe it is a case of jealousy. They are trying to make it "right" in their minds that they don't need a Corvette (speeding past you or riding your a$$). Or they put them down, telling you how they are such a crappy car or how such and such had one and "this VW backed into it and the whole body feel off in pieces, so wouldn't own one" (probably because the spouse won't let them have one), when in reality they would love to have one (probably like many of us dreamed of owning one).

It's all justification.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
You need to move to a bigger town. ..Just dont take up four spots, you may not like the way your car looks when you walk back out of the store.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The worst behavior you ever experience will come from Mustang owners. They think it is your civic duty to race them and when you pretend to not be interested thay are downright offended and will race off mad as hell in a cloud of bluish white exhaust smoke.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM
vars1
Advanced

I had the Passenger Of an escalade hock a loogie right through my drivers side window... I dont get it, there was nothing I could have done to **** him off unfotunately for him I had a slurpee in my cup holder, really good aim, and a much faster car
Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
vettefan1
Instructor

Originally Posted by vars1
I had the Passenger Of an escalade hock a loogie right through my drivers side window... I dont get it, there was nothing I could have done to **** him off unfotunately for him I had a slurpee in my cup holder, really good aim, and a much faster car
NICE!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Problem runs much deeper than that. If you don't keep close tabs on your parked car there's dregs out there who would just love to key a nice looking Corvette. Taking two parking spaces which I see often is like ringing the dinner bell for this stuff.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by teebee1994
I believe it is a case of jealousy. They are trying to make it "right" in their minds that they don't need a Corvette (speeding past you or riding your a$$). Or they put them down, telling you how they are such a crappy car or how such and such had one and "this VW backed into it and the whole body feel off in pieces, so wouldn't own one" (probably because the spouse won't let them have one), when in reality they would love to have one (probably like many of us dreamed of owning one).

It's all justification.

I predict that this is the typical reaction to Corvettes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5R07wvh348
Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM
bsmutz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twice in the past week I've parked my car way out in the boonies and come out to find a car parked so close to it that I had to wait for the owner to come out and move so I could reasonably get in my car. Idiots!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette drivers treated differently?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
murraybob
Racer

People definitely react to the Vette. Little kids yell 'nice car'. (my wife says that is because young kids are more honest than most adults) Young male drivers try to spin their tires and show me how fast their car is. It is interesting to watch people and see what they do.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
MDred85
Racer

Hello,
I agree Vettes can bring out the worst in some people. Once I parked my car out at the mall in the lot so far out no one would park near me. I came back out later to find TWO large scrapres on each fender well on the hood top. They were dug so deep that the white was showing. One of the ladies I worked with said "You must have really pissed off some chick, or her boyfriend". All I can say is I must have taken one for another red Vette playboy.

MDred85
Old 09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

I don't know what you do if you have a nice one. I bought a new 04 vert and it only has 1800 miles right now. I can't drive the thing and leave it parked anywhere because I know what I will find when I come out. Just look at the stories above, this is wat the degenerates will do to a nice car out of jealousy I guess. They must figure that since they can't have one at least they can prevent you from having a nice one with a key job to your paint. My solution: I went to the swap meet and brought home a 96 coupe. At least I can drive that one without worrying about it getting killed.

Quick Reply: Vette drivers treated differently?