C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vette drivers treated differently?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
SilverBeast
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I mostly let the little rice-burners with fart-can mufflers act the fool, 'cause it's simply not worth the gas. But every now and then ....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Road Blockers!

I hate the ones that just can't stand to be behind a Vette, Got to get around no matter what! As soon as they go by, they either have to jam on the brakes so they can make the next exit, or they get in front of you and slow down 10 or 15mph slower that you were going. When you go by them again, even just on the cruise control not changing your speed at all, here they come again; Pass and slow down in front of you! Makes me want to mount a rocket launcher under my car, except I wouldn't want to have to drive through the flaiming junk!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Based on my Radar Detector,

The CHP seem to think we're all special!!
I know exactly what you mean. The cops hover all over me like i'm a wanted criminal or something. I dont really see them hanging out all over other older sports cars like F-Bodies or stangs. They pay absolutely no attention to the ricers whatsoever, which doesnt make sense caues they're the ones flying up and down the street. Its gotten so bad that the cops will slow down while passing my house just to see if the vette is in the driveway.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
BarryBum
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I am used to the attention while driving an eye catching car. My other toy is pictured below, talk about attention......that thing draws a crowd everywhere I go. When I stop to get gas, I always can bet on a 20 minute stop. The Cuda gets attention from a different type of crowd, mainly men in their mid to late 30's and up, and a few women. Most kids recognize it as the Dukes of Hazzard car..?..?..? (go figure that one out)
But the Vette seems to attract the attention of guys mid 30's and younger and females, not that I am Brad Pitt, in fact the farthest from it that I could be, but I do notice more female heads turning when I drive the Vette than older males.
Here is my other attention getter. And oh yea, I also drive a bright yellow Jeep Wrangler and NO I am not compencating for the lack of anything

My Vette

Last edited by BarryBum; 09-06-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Man, my wife and I were just experiencing and talking about this topic this weekend. Some dude in a minivan on the highway was playing silly bugger with us, speeding up to pass, getting in front of us, slowing down... we were on cruise control, not speeding, and we passed him... only to have him pass us again.

He had his wife and 2 kids in the van. We were completely unimpressed. It was obvious by the way he was driving, he had some sort of "manhood" envy going on in that van.....
Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
flatbush862
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some guys in pick-ups and SUVs (nothing personal) seem to go out of their way to stay ahead of you or some how show they are king of the road when you are next to or behind them. I think it's a "guy thing".
Don't bother with them - drive the car the way you want - that's what having a Vette is all about.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
poplife
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf
I agree, I just got my vette and took it for the first extended drive since i've gotten it, 450 miles or so. I notice the kids and such get excited and wave or give you the thumbs up. But also notice that I get these guys riding your a$$ and passing agressivley or in tight situations, and as they go by you kinda see the guy has the kiss my a$$ look or a big deal look to their girl friend cause he was able to pass me while I'm going 59. And at the same time you are thinking to yourself I wouldn't even have to down shift to blow his 4x4 or his 4 door grand prix off the roadLOL! Ironic to see this post since I was thinking it myself.
And I'll add to that, they pass you then slow down to 60mph in a 55 like they did something. So I hang about a 1 1/2 car lengths back and wait for a spot to pass. Then I blow by them like they were standing still, and slow back down to 60mph. Usually, they don't pass again.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

Thanks for all the responses, and Barry that is one NICE 'Cuda! I have an offer from a guy to trade a '68 'Stang for my 'Vette, but I'm so far into the Vette now and it's all torn apart in the garage (we've all been there) so I doubt I'll trade. After new tires and paint I'm gonna be 11K into this car. Eh, it's only money but this is a Vette. Wife likes it too. I guess the attention will take some getting used too. I have not noticed any extra attention from the cops, but I am very careful in the Vette.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

I guess it all boils down to "I don't have to prove anything to you" but I don't know about you guys but every once in while somebody pushes that button and it turns to "catch me if you can sucker" not too often though because your all right the cops just love us.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
vlgeideyot
Advanced

I have noticed that people like to show me how cool their car is when they get next to me at a light. One of the funnist things I have seen in a long time happened last week on the way home from work. A younger guy in a Mustang thought it was his responsibility to race me at a red light. When the light turned green, he spun his tires and took off. I just drove normally and the cop 3 cars behind me chased him and pulled him over, now THAT was funny.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
gixxr
Racer

Originally Posted by kenv
Forget the keying, some folks some folks just want to get a little too close to your `Vette, so they can brag to their friends that they came out on top

[IMG][/IMG]
if you can't feel that pain you don't deserve to have a Vette. OUCH, he even had his T-tops out
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 AM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlgeideyot
IOne of the funnist things I have seen in a long time happened last week on the way home from work. A younger guy in a Mustang thought it was his responsibility to race me at a red light. When the light turned green, he spun his tires and took off. I just drove normally and the cop 3 cars behind me chased him and pulled him over, now THAT was funny.
Lucky bastage..... a priceless moment for you. I bet you were tempted to drive around the block and honk at the guy.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Edison Trent
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I've received more complements with the car than had bad experiences, but I've had some of the latter, too.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting points of view.

Being someone who came from the 'other side' (fbody), heres what we've always thought of vette owners:

1) They're mostly fat rich white guys
2) They don't / can't do their own work
3) They think 245hp is "Fast" and the best cars are "Tuned Port"
4) They think everything else is sub-standard

I like vettes, I love vettes, thats why I gave up (at over a $10,000 loss when I sold everything off) and bought one. But I must admit, over the years most of the vette owners I've met are complete morons with way too much money. But I've also met some nice people, on here too. So I don't want to generalize too much

-- Joe
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
beachrover
Pro

We've only had our Vette for a few weeks and with all of the work that's been done to it, it hasn't been driven that much but I do find it funny the way people react when I have driven it. Women mostly wave when you are beside them at a stoplight, men usually act like they don't see you. Younger men (tennage boys) "race" past you every chance they get and younger kids usually smile and wave. The biggest thing that I have noticed is that I have to be much more alert when driving this car. I guess it sits so low that people don't see it very well and I can't tell you how many times someone has started to pull over into my lane almost hitting me. Other than that, I love driving it and look forward to driving it more and really don't care what others think or how they act. Last time I checked they weren't writing any checks at my house, cooking and cleaning or sleeping mext to me at night so screw 'em.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM
all show and more go
Pro

last month i had a similar situation as the hondaman with a cellphone and a man gave me the finger behind me and the light had just turned red. i have 5% tints and this man must have not noticed that in a 5 foot 8 230 pound bodybuilder and when i step out man i dident even know stock hondas could peel out lol
Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
papidos
Instructor

Originally Posted by gixxr
if you can't feel that pain you don't deserve to have a Vette. OUCH, he even had his T-tops out
I certainly feel the pain but from the looks of that muffler and the position of these cars it looks like the vette rearended the other car and scooped it up like a spatula picking up a burger. The vette may have been the one getting too close in this scene.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:30 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

I noticed a BIG difference with how taxi drivers would treat me in the VEtte as compared to how they treated me in the FJ 40 LAnd Crusier in NYC. In the Vette they come real close and cut you off in the FJ with 32" tires they stay away. I could not believe the diffeence.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:51 AM
hobbes58
1st Gear

I call it the gunfighter mentality. People treat you like a gunfighter in a western movie; either they defer to you or they want to challenge you.

Quick Reply: Vette drivers treated differently?