Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

To De-Bose or Not to De-Bose.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To De-Bose or Not to De-Bose.....

My recently purchased '87 has the Bose cassette deck and I need CD. I have a brand new 3 year old Kenwood single CD player still in the box (that was supposed to go in my '78 but never made it in to it). I planned to have installed with 4 brand new speakers 6x9 in rear 4" in the doors. As I'm not real good with electronics I checked with 2 local stereo installers. First told me all real easy except for door speakers are real difficult to get at. I've had the ds door panel off to replace power door lock switch and actually pulled speaker out at that time and looked like 4" would easily replace....
#2 installer suggested that since my Bose speakers+amps all work that I should simply install the Kenwood with some kind of adapter to run the Boses and return the new speakers.

Looking for opinions from those that have done either option. I have thought about doing the install myself but right now I'm just confused which way to go......

Are the proffessional installers just pullin' my leg?

Thanx, -Pete. KEEP DRIVING!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
topgunvette
Melting Slicks

i've got a pioneer single cd deck w/the stock bose speakers right now... so basically the deck just plays the cd's and sends no power to the speakers because they are self powered but i am going to replace them real soon so i would recommend changing it all and ditching the blowse
Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 AM
morgan_kane
Instructor

Bose system have amplifier inside each speaker. It needs line-level input from head unit, and power, too.

I think it is lot easier to replace speakers, and wirings.

If you decided to go with 4" in front, you can take old speakers out, and put newones in place of them. I recall, that the originals are same size, so they should fit, but i'm not sure.

In back there is plenty of room to 6x9" and they fit well to original places.

I suggest to do it yourself, because you have already taken dooe speaker off, and it is the hardest part.

Just put new wirings there, and bolt new speakers in place. Then, if you want, you can go to local shop to make them connected. That is really easy too, i believe you can do it yourself, too. Just read installation manual what came with your kenwood.

I put 6.5" to front, they can be fitted, too. Took old speaker and box off, and put wood plate behind the door fiber to support speaker. Little more job, but sounds better. Also i put diskants and mid's to dash, where are the original speaker grilles.

Last edited by morgan_kane; 08-20-2006 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Hwy St*r
Racer

Next weekend I'll be replacing the outer side window weatherseals so I need to remove both door panels anyway. Question: when you pull out the 4" from the door does the amp come out with it? Does the amp have to removed or can it just be bypassed? I'm gonna unscrew one of the rears later this afternoon to see what that looks like. Another question: how easy/difficult is it run new speaker wire for both the door and rear set? Would I really notice a difference or is ther some other reason to use new wire? One last question: what's the level of difficulty to replace the head unit? Do I need adapters and mounting plates etc???

Last edited by Hwy St*r; 08-20-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To To De-Bose or Not to De-Bose.....

Quick Reply: To De-Bose or Not to De-Bose.....